Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30743
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610" Previous topic | Next topic
wishiwereaskibum Registered since 13th Nov 2013Thu 14-Nov-13 05:00 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"

US

Hello and thanks in advance for all replies!

First - This is a duplicate post to a post I just made in the D200 section. If not appropriate- please let me know the best place to post this as I am new.

I'm a Dad and husband who owns a D200 with the 18-200 VRii lens plus the 35 f/1.8. I take kids shots, outdoor soccer shots, landscape, city scape, sunset, play with depth of field shots of various things (most recent was a produce market in London, nice shots of a bright fruit in focus with lots behind blurred) tropical vacations, ski vacations, waterfalls, mountains, hiking, etc. and am looking to upgrade my camera for a few reasons. As you can tell, I bring my D200 with me a bunch, but sometimes just travel with an Olympus tough TGii (pocket camera).

1- Indoor Tennis pix of both the wife and kids (low light and fast)
2- Better landscape shots
3- Greater ability to crop photos without graininess
4- Better low light performance for indoor architectural shots

I know I need some better glass, but feel it's time to upgrade the body as well. I'm looking at either the 7100 or the 610, and would appreciate all input on both which body you all feel is better for me (Yes, FX sensor is better for IQ and low light, but the 7100 gives me better reach (x2). Will the 7100 with the 70-200 f2.8 result in great indoor tennis pix without flash?

What lenses are you all recommending today? I like the Nikon, sure, but know Tamron and Sigma make great lenses as well. My concern with non Nikkor lenses is will they work for the next 3 bodies I may buy? Nikon seems to put a lot of FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt in my mind as to whether these will work.

I REALLY NEED a good walk about / travel lens, as I don't want to carry a bag.

I’d like a very wide angle.

I’d like a great 70-200 tele for indoor sports.

I believe I mostly want FX glass regardless of what camera I get. I am looking at the following lenses

Looking at, but in no way limited to the following lenses

1- Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ATX Pro DXII ($559)
2-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di LD ($769)
3 Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG QS HSM
4- Nikon 24-70
5- Nikon 70-200 f2.8 sf-s vr II ED IF
6- Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 Di VC UDS ($1299)

Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 DC HSM Zoom Lens for Nikon
Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR II
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Zoom Lens for Nikon

Thanks in advance for all guidance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610
jbloom Gold Member
14th Nov 2013
wishiwereaskibum
14th Nov 2013
jbloom Gold Member
15th Nov 2013
wishiwereaskibum
15th Nov 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member
15th Nov 2013
km6xz Moderator
17th Nov 2013
vitalishe
18th Nov 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 14-Nov-13 08:53 PM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Welcome to Nikonians!

Since you are contemplating new glass anyway, a lot of the question comes down to the tradeoff between lower noise (D610) vs more "reach" (D7100). You have applications that favor each:

The indoor tennis case obviously favors the low noise performance of the D610. But there is a caveat on that: Will you be able to fill the frame with your subject using a 70-200? Since I don't know the venue or your level of access, I can't be sure, but I'm a little dubious abut that. Once you start cropping the FX image down in order to get "reach," you start to lose some of the low-noise advantage of FX. Crop the FX image down to a DX frame and you basically have a DX camera. Whether the D7100 will result in great indoor tennis shots is hard to say because it depends on the venue's lighting. But unless you are planning on huge prints, I'd say probably yes.

The indoor architecture case also favors the D610 for low noise, although the best solution for that is a tripod wherever possible.

The outdoor soccer case (I'm assuming daytime) favors the D7100 with a 70-200. You already have a DX body and a lens that goes to 200 mm, so you should have a feel for the coverage you'll get from that. You haven't said what level of soccer, but it you are shooting on a full-size pitch, 200mm is barely adequate on DX, and on FX subjects will be 2/3 the size they are on your DX body. So that case favors the D7100. Of course, you could factor a 70-300 or 300 f/4 into your glass purchases. That would be worthwhile for DX; I'd consider it practically mandatory for FX if you are shooting soccer.

For a walkaround/travel lens, I suspect many would recommend the 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 (DX) or 24-120 f/4 (FX). Each is an excellent lens with VR.

I don't have any experience with the non-Nikon 70-200's, so I'll leave that for others to comment on. Normally, I'd suggest the 70-200 f/4, but your wish to shoot indoor sports really demands f/2.8 or faster glass.

With respect to a wide-angle, I'm not sure what your intended application is. If it's landscape, I wouldn't put a premium on f/2.8 glass. I like the 16-35 f/4 on FX. It's quite nice on DX, too, but obviously not so wide.

Good luck with whatever choices you make!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

wishiwereaskibum Registered since 13th Nov 2013Thu 14-Nov-13 11:34 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Jbloom,

Thanks for the well thought out reply, as well as the very insightful points.

As you state, indeed I really do have needs that cover both sides of the spectrum, hence the reason it's a hard decision. I'm leaning DX for reach and cost, but really want to have the benefit of the FX sensors for the more artistic side, and, perhaps I've bought into the marketing hype ( I do not think I'll ever print poster size prints, but it's mostly for a bit greater DOF and overall IQ)

I really didn't think about the fact that with DX ( for indoor tennis) I would need to crop down a 200 mm pic to better frame the subject thus negating the FX inherent noise advantage. Great point and thanks!

What are your or others thoughts on the 28-300 super zoom as a better lens than my 18-200?

I do like the 16-85 walkabout idea. Might consider this plus a "pocketed" 70-300 vr, but this is a heavy pocket.. Lol...and yes, I'd probably have my trusty 35 f/1.8 as well.

For the wide angle, it would be for both indoor architecture shots as well as landscape, so I'm again thinking fast is good. Also, I'm thinking I need (or want) the wider side down to 10 or 11mm as I have really been stifled a bunch of times with the 18mm low limit of my existing 18-200, so, .....

Please keep all your wonderful thoughts coming.

THANKS!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 15-Nov-13 11:34 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

I have no experience with the 28-300. Reportedly it's a decent lens, similar in its strengths and weaknesses on FX to the 18-200 on DX. As with any superzoom, it makes compromises.

I also haven't used the DX WA zooms other than the older Tokina 12-24. From what I hear, they are all pretty good. Given the fact that you want f/2.8, the Tokina 11-16 is really your only choice. Like all of these zooms, it has pretty pronounced barrel distortion at the wide end, so shoot architecture a little loose to allow for distortion correction in post.

If you end up going FX, the go-to fast WA lens is the Nikon 14-24/2.8. You'll need deep pockets for that!

One thing you lose by going to DX is access to fast, wide primes. There just aren't any. Plus, if you want that really razor-thin DOF, FX is your choice. Decision, decisions!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

wishiwereaskibum Registered since 13th Nov 2013Fri 15-Nov-13 12:20 PM
#4. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Jon!

Today's Brian Tracy quote of the day

"We must do that which we think we cannot."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Fri 15-Nov-13 05:08 PM
518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Of your intended use cases, what percentage would be sports v landscape v indoor v lowlight.

Is this a serious hobby? What is your budget?

Also, the D200 can serve as a landscape body - in the end landscape is about catching the magic light - a high quality wide on this body might just be fine - especially if you can HDR some shots.

Then you can get another body for more reach as Jon is suggesting.

If your budget is deep, why not get both?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 17-Nov-13 05:47 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

You nailed it, it is not the body.
I was given permission to use images a tourist board for a nearby Baltic States country for my travel web site I am rebuilding. I wanted high quality images for the new site because it would be geared towards the higher res tablets. I had a good selection to ask for licenses for and ranked them from apparent appeal and relevance. The best one turned out to have been shot with a D200 and 28mm lens. The lighting was magic and it popped out of the screen. The least interesting of the good ones I asked to use was shot with a Canon 5DII and another with a D3x and 14mm lens. Technically, both of those cameras should have wiped the floor with the lowly D200. Aesthetically, there are no technical specs which mean anything at all, they are just distractions and should be ignored if "art" and communications is the end goal.

I think the choice of those two great cameras, the D7100 and D610 comes down to preference in holding, in lenses and budget and not image quality of the cameras themselves. Either is capable of being the producer of "Photo of the Year" and hanging on prestigious gallery walls. Action and distant wildlife....D7100, portraiture and landscape has a slight advantage in FX, but overall, either will be the best camera someone has used if they are upgrading from anything by anyone. If you do not get that award winning shot, it is not the camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012Mon 18-Nov-13 08:22 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Upgrading the D200 to a 7100 or 610"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

Just to make your camera selection harder, may I suggest a used D700 as another option? The body will feel similar to D200 and it is a stellar performer.
I upgraded from D90 to D7100 and later bought a used D700 for a bargain price.
Now when it comes to bringing one camera with me, I consistently choose D700 over D7100. I really enjoy the build quality of D700 and its robust image quality in low light.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30743 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.