Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30688
View in linear mode

Subject: "Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Mon 11-Nov-13 05:54 PM
353 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody has tried the Katz Eye split prism focusing glass on their D7100. I have reviewed the Katz Eye website and they say the prism will affect exposure. If anyone has this prism can you tell me how much of a concern this is? I use mostly matrix meter exposure in manual mode. I have the 16-85 1:3.5-5.6 GED lens and this is what I mostly use. Are there any other concerns with the Katz Eye that I should be aware of? Thank you in advance for your help.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing
blw Moderator
11th Nov 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
11th Nov 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
12th Nov 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
12th Nov 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
13th Nov 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
13th Nov 2013
Crisol
22nd Nov 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
24th Nov 2013
blw Moderator
25th Nov 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
25th Nov 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 11-Nov-13 06:12 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I don't have them in a 7100, but in the D2h and D2x, it may affect the exposure by about 1/3rd to 1/2 stop. It took me the better part of two years to realize that this was happening. I sold the D2h a while back, but I still have one in the D2x which is still a daily user. On the D2x the difference is about a third of a stop of overexposure. I just leave it and am (slightly) more careful about blowing highlights. In effect it gives me a slight "expose to the right" bias. I don't shoot JPEGs, so I'm always post processing and that means that it means that I have a slightly larger adjustment.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Mon 11-Nov-13 09:48 PM
353 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thank you Brian for your quick and thoughtful reply. I guess I can live with 1/3 to 1/2 stop for the advantage of being able to really focus in manual again.
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Tue 12-Nov-13 06:05 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I considered the KatzEye very useful on my D200, but when I upgraded to the D7000 I didn't see the need for it. I found it was easier and much more accurate to focus manually using live view and zooming in.

Visit my gallery.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 12-Nov-13 06:10 PM
#4. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 12-Nov-13 08:10 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

That is a very good point. I will give it a try. I have not used live view yet.
Bill

Edit: I gave it a try and I am just too far sighted to see the live view screen clearly. Even when things are in focus they still look blurry to me. I don't want to wear my reading glasses when I am shooting. I am better off looking through the viewfinder with its diopter correction used.

(1817-62)

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Wed 13-Nov-13 01:31 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 4

Maidenhead, GB

The Katzeye focus screens work really well and are invaluable for manual focusing where you don't have the time to work with live view. They can affect exposure, especially when average or spot metering on the central sensors, but with a little experience you'll get the hang of the variations.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Wed 13-Nov-13 02:57 PM
#6. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 5

Bellingham, US

Thank you Gfinlayson,
I think I will give the Katz eye a try. I do so miss that split prism, I do not adapt easily to change.
Bill

(1817-62)

Crisol Registered since 15th Apr 2013Fri 22-Nov-13 12:40 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 6

Barcelona, ES

You will get crazy with exposure compensation because it is not linear.

Best to focus with live view or even "at a glance".

In case you decide to buy it anyway, get the F2 one (the one without split image, only prism) otherwise you will get no real advantage.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sun 24-Nov-13 11:41 PM
#8. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 7

Bellingham, US

Crisol,
Thank you for your input. I was wondering where you got your information from?
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Nov-13 12:29 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I should add that I have the versions that have the OptiBrite option. It is my impression that the versions without don't have any impact on the exposure, although since both of mine have OptiBrite I don't really know. In the end I think that I've found the OptiBright to be more useful than the split image rangefinder or microprism collar.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Mon 25-Nov-13 01:13 PM
#11. "RE: Kats Eye Split Prism Focusing"
In response to Reply # 10

Bellingham, US

Thanks for the information Brian. I think I will hold off getting the Katz Eye for now. I will see if anyone else has any more information on it. I checked out your photos, very nice.
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30688 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.