Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30647
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?." Previous topic | Next topic
snapper326 Registered since 24th Oct 2013Sat 09-Nov-13 02:51 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."

GB

What Is your opinion on the D7100 as a professional camera?.

I'm a full time pro and up until recently I used a D3 and a D2Xs. I have mainly been using the D3 and only using the D2Xs for when I needed the crop factor or when I needed to use two bodies at once. It has really been showing It's age and was little or no use in winter.
I couldn't afford a D4 or D800 so started looking at the D7100. I thought It looked really good as a backup/ 2nd camera to compliment my D3.
I like the fact It has the 1.5 crop factor, It's compact size which could come in handy in some situations. Focus system and build quality seem on a par with full/semi pro bodies. Most of all the price.
So I've bought myself one and I am over the moon with It. It seems to be marketed as a purely amateur body but I feel this seriously under sells how good It is. In my opinion the only thing letting it down is the buffer size (6/9 frames raw/jpeg).

What is your opinion?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?.
jbloom Gold Member
09th Nov 2013
snapper326
09th Nov 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member
09th Nov 2013
mklass Platinum Member
09th Nov 2013
chesterdawg Silver Member
10th Nov 2013
agitater Gold Member
10th Nov 2013
PCassidy
10th Nov 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
10th Nov 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 09-Nov-13 03:04 PM
6137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I pretty much agree with all of that. My D7100 has served me well for field sports use, and of course it works a treat with the Nikon TTL flash system. As an adjunct to my D3, it's working out really well. My D2X has been pretty much relegated to use as a remote camera when the light is good. (I also have a D7000 as a backup and for use as an additional remote.)

As for the marketing, I pay no attention to that. I evaluate my needs against what the available products provide and select the best fit, no matter how it's labeled. Because the truth is, even the "entry level" cameras are capable of making great photographs when properly used.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

snapper326 Registered since 24th Oct 2013Sat 09-Nov-13 03:32 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Yes your right, I'm glad I went with my instincts and got one. The camera manufacturers and magazines say you should use x camera for this and Y camera for that. What people forget is that photographers were using manual hasselblads for sport not that long ago. You don't need the most expensive kit to work as a photographer.

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Sat 09-Nov-13 11:29 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0

Portsmouth, US

Camera makers and magazines are in the business of making money, preferably your money. They need those labels to sell those beginner, entry level, intermediate and pro cameras to the public. Beginners will start with an entry level kit with hopefully some basic knowledge of photography. Unfortunately, after a frustrating month of trying to decipher the owners manual, they start finding fault with the camera. So they decide to buy an intermediate level camera kit, because that's what the camera makers and magazines tell them. To improve their photography they need the newest model. So Joe amateur, buys the next level up and the cycle starts anew, higher learning curve, frustration with translating owners manuel , and poor, noise images, cannot get images to focus properly, blurry pics, etc. Resulting in many post here asking questions that could be found in the Manuel if Joe had just taken the time to read. We live in an age where people want immediate results without taking the time to learn the craft of photography. And here is the problem, people don't want to do the work of learning photography, they expect the camera to do the work for them. So they keep buying the latest, greatest cameras and getting marginal results. For those of us who have years of photographic experience and are willing to take the time to learn new techniques and style, it benefits us with great deals on used cameras.
Professional photographers have invested time and money learning their craft. Cameras to them are a tool, a means to an end. For a certain job a D3 might be overkill so a D7100 might be better for this particular job, and so on.
An experienced Pro photographer, would have no problems using a D40 or D3200 and getting outstanding images.
So if your comfortable using your new D7100 and love the results, then keep on shooting and enjo If your worried what others will say about you (a pro photographer) using an amateur camera, just tell them, that the most important difference between their D7100 and yours is that
Yours makes you money every time it it comes out of your camera bag

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 09-Nov-13 11:48 PM
5867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I use my D7100 as a second camera for weddings and events, and occasionally for other purposes. It replaced a D300s that performed the same function. I think it is perfectly suitable, and an improvement over the D300s.

It also is an excellent camera for personal use and travel with its lighter weight and smaller size. There are great DX lenses available these days, especially zooms.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Sun 10-Nov-13 01:18 PM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0

Commerce, US

>What Is your opinion on the D7100 as a professional camera?.

I used to shoot weddings with medium format cameras in the film days.
I've owned many, many cameras over the last 35yrs. The D7100 is my 5th DSLR and I would use it to shoot weddings or anything else without any worries.

Steve

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 10-Nov-13 02:06 PM
3979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Nov-13 02:08 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

Pro sports shooters need large, heavy, tough camera bodies and lenses because they constantly find themselves jammed into crowded photographers' corrals at stadiums, arenas, courtside areas and sidelines. The cameras and lenses have to be able to withstand repeated bashing, banging, scraping, clashing, and hard, rapid use in all sorts of lousy weather. D3, D4, D700, D800 can take the beatings day in and day out. That's mainly why you don't see any of those kinds of pro sports shooters using a D7100.

By contrast, photographers who are shooting conferences, annual general meetings, speeches, formal press releases, galas, parties, convocations, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, small private weddings, religious services and other non-gear-crushing events, often make use of smaller, quieter and less obstrusive bodies such as the D7100 mated to whatever lenses are needed to capture the subject matter. Same technical image quality as the heavier so-called pro bodies.

I watched a terrific pro kids photographer produce wonderful results at a huge outdoor party for a really wealthy family. An enormous backyard complete with several gazebos, serving staff and a small army of six year olds running around like lunatics. A second shooter using a D3x was having no luck at all getting kids to sit still for portraits. The primary shooter using a D7000 was having a much easier time of it because the small camera body and 85mm f/1.8 was simply unintimidating to the kids being asked to sit. The second shooter switched to a backup D40(!?!) shortly thereafter (with her own 85mm f/1.8) and suddenly started getting more cooperation. I saw all the photos posted in the private online album and I can tell you without doubt that both photographers got absolutely smashing results from those lowly, aging, DX camera bodies.

So I say application, application, application. That's what it's all about.

Many pro photographers use Dxxx and Dxxxx series Nikon bodies for a variety of applications. It's the application and the experience and the skill of the photographer that determine what camera body and lens combination to use.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

PCassidy Registered since 29th May 2011Sun 10-Nov-13 05:09 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Nov-13 05:10 PM by PCassidy

Gainesville, US

I am completely satisfied with my NAS purchase of a D7100. It can handle any job that I will need. The only negative I have heard is from folks is that they are displeased with the burst frame rate. That said I have read that if you use the crop factor and shoot JPG you can greatly increase the frame rate.

This is not an issue with me as I am slower now than the camera is. But I really love being able to use several of my AIS lenses on it. For example I have a perfect 85mm f:2.0 lens on it now and the images are sharp crisp and beautiful.

Back to your original question; Yes this camera is definitely a pro body, either primary or backup, it can perform excellently. As long as the frame rate is not a necessity within your professional work environment. 24megapixel, 51vector metering and lens compatibility are it's strong points.

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 10-Nov-13 09:35 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D7100 suitable for professional use?."
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

I use a D800 for most stuff these days, with a D7100 for when I want extra reach for wildlife, or when I want a tighter crop in the studio without getting too far into my subject's face. Provided I'm working in sensible light, it's difficult to tell the D7100's files from the D800's. In the studio, at ISO100, I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference between either body's files unless they're printed the size of a barn door.

Yes, the D7100 is absolutely up to pro use. In the Nikon world it's the top crop sensor camera. D300s users will claim that their camera has a bigger buffer, but if you shoot in 14bit RAW, it's frame rate is criminally slow. The D7100 kills it in every aspect of image quality, which is why it's the current flagship DX body. Buffer depth is limited, but with a fast card, flush times are good so it's not as limiting as you might think.

If you're at all worried about customer perception, in reality they mostly don't know or care. Very few can tell the difference between a gripped D7100 or a gripped D800. All they see is a 'professional camera'. Provided you deliver professional results, your client won't care about your kit.......

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30647 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.