Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30622
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposure control on a D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Fri 08-Nov-13 01:46 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposure control on a D7000"

CA

Although I am experiencing this with the D7000 I have seen other Nikons I owned do the same thing. Its early morning, the sky outside is dark purple color, its kind of dark and in the harbor a ship has its lights on, its a nice scene. I shoot with the D7000, the image I get looks like the camera was attempting to create a daylight image. The image was shot in program mode, I set just about everything in the menu to factory default. My wife shoots the same scene with her Sony and the image she gets looks exactly like what the scene looked like, quite dark with deep purple sky and the scene looks natural. My image looks like it was taken in daylight, as if the camera was attempting to correct the image to make it look like a daylight shot. What am I doing wrong? She leaves her Sony set at factory default mode and shoots everything in program mode.
Ron

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 08-Nov-13 02:07 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposure control on a D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Nikonians. It would help if you posted your settings. Or, a picture where we could look at the metadata.

Something you might want to check is to make sure you don't have compensation turned up. It sounds like the camera is overexposing, at least to your standards. I would look to make sure nothing is set to over expose. Compensation will do that.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Fri 08-Nov-13 03:45 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposure control on a D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

thanks for the feedback, I will double check the exposure settings. Good photography, I think to be properly enjoyed requires the investment of time, my life is usually so hectic that I don't take the time to think through what is happening - I'll think this through and I'm sure I'll come to an understanding. The exposure compensation is a good place to start. Thanks.
Cheers
Ron
(PS I was thinking to ask my wife to let me download the picture from her camera and post it side by side with what I achieved for comparison purposes but she was busy so I gave up on that)

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 08-Nov-13 11:50 AM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Exposure control on a D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

A good part of it could do with what type of metering the camera is set to and where the meter readings are being taken from. Next time you get a chance, take one photo with the sky as the complete photo and then take another photo with the sky as only 1/2 half of the photo. Compare the two and you'll probably see a lot of difference in the two just because of where you metered the scene.

Other setting can also significantly alter the image, but where you meter in the image and what meter mode the camera is in play a big role in the appearance of the photo.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Sat 09-Nov-13 01:43 AM
#4. "RE: Exposure control on a D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Thanks, I had not thought of that. Sure is nice to have folks to chat with when we have questions. Its possible I had the meter set to Spot reading - I will reset it and will try that type of shot again.
Cheers
Ron

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30622 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.