Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30614
View in linear mode

Subject: "button fatique failure" Previous topic | Next topic
hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 07-Nov-13 02:53 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"button fatique failure"

GB

I use the Zoom In button on my D7000 too much, it is now suffering from fatique failure. Is there any other way to zoom in and inspect captured image? Will it be still covered by 2-Year Nikon Warranty?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: button fatique failure
gpoole Platinum Member
07th Nov 2013
hyphotographer
08th Nov 2013
hyphotographer
02nd Dec 2013
jbloom Gold Member
07th Nov 2013
hyphotographer
02nd Dec 2013
dm1dave Administrator
02nd Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
03rd Dec 2013
          Reply message tactile switch spare part
hyphotographer
05th Dec 2013
               Reply message RE: tactile switch spare part
km6xz Moderator
07th Dec 2013

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 07-Nov-13 03:23 PM
3631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

I don't have a D7000, but my all my DSLRs except the D90 have a menu setting that allows the center button of the multi-selector to zoom to a preset level. It's in the Custom Setting Menu in the Controls group, f1 on my cameras

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Fri 08-Nov-13 09:33 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks for your information.
There is no other way to perform playback zoom, apart from using the dedicated button on D7000.
Nikon could replace it.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Mon 02-Dec-13 09:11 PM
#4. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

I asked for a firmware update to use other buttons such as command dial for captured image magnifying but to no avail. Previous DSLR models can do it but not D7000. What a disappointment.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 07-Nov-13 08:08 PM
6109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Unfortunately, the answer to this question hasn't changed since you asked it 6 weeks ago.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Mon 02-Dec-13 09:13 PM
#5. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I suppose Nikon does not allow firmware to become 'open source' for source code to be released for users to customize their cameras.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 02-Dec-13 09:54 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 02-Dec-13 09:55 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Sorry but they do not.

I am afraid that have the button repaired is the only option.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 03-Dec-13 04:20 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: button fatique failure"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

The tact switch is only $0.02-03 and a standard part in you want to change. Nikon will probably cover it even though it is apparently wear and tear and exempt from warranty coverage.
They will replace the larger assembly and not just the switch which is a SMD type that requires a steady hand and the right soldering skills.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 05-Dec-13 11:41 AM
#8. "tactile switch spare part"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Thanks. Do you know the D7000 camera rear left control tactile switch module part number? Have you seen a picture of it yet? I can replace it but need to buy the spare part.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 07-Dec-13 08:18 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: tactile switch spare part"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

If you have a friend at a Nikon warranty station you can probably order one through them. Nikon will not sell internal parts to shops or individuals who are not part of their warranty service network.

My suggestion, if you are skilled with soldering, is to replace the switch on the flex printed circuit board since that you can get at almost any sell stocked electronics parts store. I have changed them on D80s and D90s. I have the service manual for a number of models and they all use the same sort of tact switch.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30614 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.