Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30590
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Oil Spots" Previous topic | Next topic
nascar Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Tue 05-Nov-13 11:08 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Oil Spots"

US

My D7000 was purchased new in December 2010 (early in the production) and has given me no problems. It gets light usage (less than 3000 shutter clicks).

On all recent photos I'm seeing lots of spots on the right side of each image. I've used the in-camera clean image sensor function to no avail. It is also set to clean on startup. I've used an air bulb to try to remove these spots with the mirror up; also to no avail.

I wonder if the spots might be oil splatter from the mirror box.

I rarely shoot in bursts and make very few Live View shots and did not change the lens between shots without spots and now with spots.

I could clean the sensor or have it cleaned by my local dealer. But, do you think should I send it back to Nikon for analysis and possibly replacing the mirror box. Or, maybe I first should clean the sensor and see if the spots come back before contacting Nikon. Advice welcomed.

Do these look like oil spots (sky shot)?

Thanks.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Oil Spots
RECONLEY Silver Member
05th Nov 2013
beemerman2k Silver Member
05th Nov 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
06th Nov 2013
jagabom Silver Member
09th Nov 2013
elec164 Silver Member
06th Nov 2013
nascar Silver Member
06th Nov 2013
elec164 Silver Member
06th Nov 2013
beemerman2k Silver Member
07th Nov 2013
ctdrummer Silver Member
07th Nov 2013
paul_7e Silver Member
07th Nov 2013
ctdrummer Silver Member
07th Nov 2013
Mikey98e Silver Member
07th Nov 2013
jbloom Gold Member
07th Nov 2013
Mikey98e Silver Member
08th Nov 2013
gdhawkins Silver Member
07th Nov 2013
gdhawkins Silver Member
07th Nov 2013

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012Tue 05-Nov-13 11:50 PM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Oil spots have a dark center with a light ring around it, some refer to it as a halo look. Your image looks like dust to me. Time for a cleaning.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 05-Nov-13 11:54 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

Welcome to reality! Where were you a couple of years ago when this was quite a hot topic of discussion? They all do that; yes, that's oil from the shutter mechanism.

I ended up buying a cleaning kit from http://www.visibledust.com Great kit and every now and then I clean my sensor of the oil spots.

I was quite surprised over the level of anger the D600 evoked, yet comparitively little from D7000 users. I still have my D7000, and I also own a D7100, too. No spots on the latter camera.

If you don't mind wet cleaning the sensor every once in a while, it's an amazing camera. I have taken almost 28K shots with mine, and have captured some images that mean the world to me. I have no regrets concerning my D7000.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberWed 06-Nov-13 12:46 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 2

St. Louis, US

I've had much worse than that on my D7000 (but not my D600 (yet)). Over time, you're gonna get dust. And, maybe a spot of oil. Don't freak out; clean it. It's easy.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Sat 09-Nov-13 12:49 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

Beemerman2k, which cleaning kit did you buy? There are so many.
Jim
D7K

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 06-Nov-13 03:08 AM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This spatter pattern seems consistent with the one that is created by the lubricant spray from the defective seal on the mirror charge motor.

My D7000 was repaired for that very issue, and was thoroughly documented in this thread.

Pete

nascar Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Wed 06-Nov-13 07:47 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't followed that thread.

Since my camera is long out of warranty, I'll get a sensor cleaning kit and do the cleaning myself when needed. The D7000 manual made it sound like sensor cleaning, beyond air blowing, was something that only authorized repair shops should do. Thanks for the VisibleDust link.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 06-Nov-13 04:17 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>D7000 manual made it sound like sensor cleaning, beyond air
>blowing, was something that only authorized repair shops
>should do. Thanks for the VisibleDust link.

In my opinion the manual is a legal standpoint to reduce liability.

If Nikon suggest that one should regularly wet clean the sensor as a standard maintenance, and a user scratches the low-pass filter, they could potentially be liable for any damage and be required to repair the damage for free.

As many know, dust and occasional debris is a fact of digital life. Often the self-clean function or blower will suffice, but eventually a wet cleaning may be needed. It's not hard to do, and anyone with average mechanical skills can perform it. That low-pass filter is rather hard, and you would really have to go some to mess things up.

Pete

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 07-Nov-13 02:42 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 6

Ellington, US

I noticed that there are videos on YouTube that illustrate how to clean your sensor with VisibleDust products. No doubt there are videos on other products on that website as well.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Thu 07-Nov-13 12:52 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 7

Southern CT, US

This is normal maintenance. I have cleaned my D7000 sensor many times, usually before I go to a big photo shoot. I like the Copperhill kits because the swab handle is more rigid and you can get a good swipe that way.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/start.php?browse=1

It takes a few swipes with different swabs to get it clean. I have one of those cheap magnifiers with LED lights they give to senior citizens for free to check the sensor after each cleaning.

Don't be afraid!

The best part, of course, is you get a free cheap-o plastic slinky, which has become by neighbor's 2 year old's favorite toy.

Visit My gallery.

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberThu 07-Nov-13 01:00 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I looked at the Copperhill kits, and noticed that the kit comes with "PecPads or QuikStrips". Is one better than the other? Thanks.

Paul

Once you reach perfection, is there really room for improvement?

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Thu 07-Nov-13 01:42 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 9

Southern CT, US

I think the Pecpads are for lens cleaning, or that's all I use them for when my lens pen can't get something clean. I have been using the Quickstrips, they give you a lot, so it will last for a long time.

The Quickstrips fasten on the end of the swab and attach with white stickers. I wish I had a few more swab handles though..

Visit My gallery.

Mikey98e Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Thu 07-Nov-13 05:53 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 10

Natick, US

For my D2x and D70s, I bought a bottle of Eclipse Optic Cleaning solution and a package of Type 2 Sensor Swabs. This worked good for those cameras. I don't know if the Type 2 swabs are the correct size for the d7000/7100 though.
-mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20487500@N00/
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/90802
http://GoldenCranePhotography.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 07-Nov-13 08:02 PM
6048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 11

Wethersfield, US

>For my D2x and D70s, I bought a bottle of Eclipse Optic
>Cleaning solution and a package of Type 2 Sensor Swabs. This
>worked good for those cameras. I don't know if the Type 2
>swabs are the correct size for the d7000/7100 though.

They are. All DX sensors are close enough to the same size to make the type-2 swabs the ones to use.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Mikey98e Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Fri 08-Nov-13 07:58 PM
#14. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 13

Natick, US

>>For my D2x and D70s, I bought a bottle of Eclipse Optic
>>Cleaning solution and a package of Type 2 Sensor Swabs.
>This
>>worked good for those cameras. I don't know if the Type 2
>>swabs are the correct size for the d7000/7100 though.
>
>They are. All DX sensors are close enough to the same size to
>make the type-2 swabs the ones to use.
>

Good to know because the swabs are expensive.
Thank you,
-mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20487500@N00/
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/90802
http://GoldenCranePhotography.com

gdhawkins Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006Thu 07-Nov-13 06:16 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: D7000 Oil Spots"

Reading, GB

I had the same problem when my D7000 was out of warranty but NIKON UK repaired it for free as it is a design/manufacturing fault. i woud ask the question before trying to do it myself as it will keep recurring.

Geoff

gdhawkins Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006Thu 07-Nov-13 06:16 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 Oil Spots"
In response to Reply # 5

Reading, GB

I had the same problem when my D7000 was out of warranty but NIKON UK repaired it for free as it is a design/manufacturing fault. i woud ask the question before trying to do it myself as it will keep recurring.

Geoff

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30590 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.