Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30572
View in linear mode

Subject: "What does this mean? Sensor works all the way down to ..." Previous topic | Next topic
mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Tue 05-Nov-13 04:08 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What does this mean? Sensor works all the way down to f/8"
Tue 05-Nov-13 04:09 AM by mvlow1974

US

I own the D7000 and have been thinking about getting a D7100 or D610. While reading the specs for the D7100 on Adorama, I read the following statement.

"The central cross-type sensor works all the way down to f/8, a huge advantage when using compatible teleconverters."

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I am confused at this statement. I did not know that AF sensors only worked at certain f-stops. I have not noticed any issues at any f-stops on my D7000.

I am hoping one of knowledgeable Nikonian members can help me understand what this means. Thanks.

Malcolm

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 05-Nov-13 04:33 AM
6054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What does this mean? Sensor works all the way down to f/8"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

They aren't talking about the aperture you are shooting at. The aperture in question is the wide-open aperture of the lens you have mounted on the camera. The D7000 AF is rated to work with lenses that are f/5.6 or wider. When you put a teleconverter on a lens, the wide-open aperture is reduced, in some cases below f/5.6. It is for those cases that the more sensitive sensor is designed.

However, the sensor is more sensitive with any lens, thus it works better in low light. (I have both the D7000 and the D7100. The D7100 AF system is distinctly superior, and not just because of the f/8 AF point.)

For more detail, see this page:
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features01.htm

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Tue 05-Nov-13 05:00 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What does this mean? Sensor works all the way down to f/8"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply Jon.

If I understand you correctly, when the camera is focusing the lens aperture is always wide open and does not stop down to your selected aperture until you actually open the shutter. So if I had a lens with a max aperture of f/5.6 and had my aperture set to f/16, the camera would focus at f/5.6 wide open and step down to f/16 after it has focused and I release the shutter.

If this is the case the statement would make sense to me, as they are basically saying it will still focus with the low light let into the camera using a really slow lens that can only open up to a widest aperture of f/8, or a lens with a max aperture of f/4 when using a 2x teleconverter effectively making it have a max aperture of f/8.

Malcolm

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 05-Nov-13 07:59 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What does this mean? Sensor works all the way down to f/8"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

You are correct in your understanding.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Tue 05-Nov-13 08:22 PM
#4. "RE: What does this mean? Sensor works all the way down to f/8"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Joseph.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30572 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.