Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30539
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Focus problems" Previous topic | Next topic
beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 03-Nov-13 04:45 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Focus problems"

Ellington, US

I have taken over 27K sharp pictures with my D7000, but lately it has been slow to focus--if it focuses properly at all. Pictures are coming out clearly out of focus. They're sharp enough to pass the "chimp" test on the camera's monitor in that they would appear to be sharp (although I didn't zoom in on them to inspect them), but when I put them on my computer for processing, then its clear just how out of focus they are.

Question: someone suggested to me that I clean the contacts on my camera body. I suppose the theory is that over time these electronic leads get dirty and interfere with the camera to lens communications. How do I clean these leads?

Any other suggestions other than the electrical leads needing cleaning?

It's late, I am going to bed, so I don't feel like finding samples at the moment. I will do so tomorrow if necessary.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Focus problems
mudman2 Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
beemerman2k Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
LeeSyl Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
beemerman2k Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
27th Nov 2013
micro Silver Member
27th Nov 2013
burchan Silver Member
28th Nov 2013
km6xz Moderator
28th Nov 2013

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sun 03-Nov-13 01:04 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamison, US

I know your pretty experienced so please excuse the silly question.

Have you changed any of the programming ? the reason I ask is that I had a similar problem, and felt quite the fool when my camera store tech reset a bunch of things and it went back to tack sharp again, in other words I had played with too many settings I misunderstood the meaning of

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 03-Nov-13 03:14 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

Lol! Good question. In my experience, no amount of experience shields one of something like this.

I did play with the "Focus correction" feature of this camera in hopes of solving the problem--to no avail, of course. And I reset my settings back to their default. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to reset the entire camera to its default settings and see what happens.

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

LeeSyl Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2011Sun 03-Nov-13 01:56 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Belleville, US

James,

Use a good contact cleaner like DeOxIt. RadioShack used to carry it but it is my understanding that they've discontinued it. Find it, or a similar product in a place online or not that deals in electrical or computer products. Do both camera contacts and those on the lenses. This procedure can't hurt and may well help.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 03-Nov-13 03:15 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 2

Ellington, US

Thanks, I'll Google that product and see where I can find it. I hope dirty contacts is what the issue turns out to be rather than a dying focus motor inside the camera body. I took twice as many pictures with my D70s and that focusing mechanism is still going strong. We shall see, and I'll be sure to update this thread with my findings.

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Wed 27-Nov-13 06:06 PM
605 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hi Jim,
I'm just going to echo mudman's suggestion. I was wondering about my on D7000's focus at one point just before the warranty expired. I took it into Nikon service and they gave it back to me saying that they could not adjust it any better but they had cleaned it and reset the whole camera back to factory specs. The photos were tack sharp. I took it home and ran through my lenses at different lens settings and realized that AF Fine Tune had to be done to get the sharpest results. It was a lot of work but I am getting shots as sharp as my new D7100 now. So don't give up! You've certainly got a lot of use out of yours!
Cheers.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Wed 27-Nov-13 10:25 PM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

I clean my contacts with a white eraser.works like a charm.quick and easy. just make sure you get a good one. no walmart specials. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Thu 28-Nov-13 06:44 AM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 28-Nov-13 06:44 AM by burchan

Sydney, AU

After discovering having focus problem with my D7000 when photographing birds I reset my camera 2 green buttons before taking camera to Nikon for check up. Nikon service checked the camera and was found to perform to specification. Nikon said 2 button reset would fix this problem. Also reset the custom settings in the menu. It did in my case and the camera is now working well.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 28-Nov-13 06:00 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Focus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Hi James, the focusing issue can get confusing if a lot of things are tried randomly without reducing variables.
First off, before even thinking about it, do not use a pencil eraser or worse, an ink eraser on gold plated contacts. It can't do go and can do a lot of damage and assure less reliable contacts for the remaining life of the camera. Using a tiny amount of de-oxidizing chemical as suggeted can prolong the useful life of the contacts and prevent future oxidation for about 6-12 months following each application.

But getting to the problem....the contacts are not likely to be the cause of your focusing problem. The communications between body and camera is digital and will cause an error message to be displayed if there is communications problems.
First step, reset the camera so you know what all the settings are, when one buried menus item otherwise might be throwing you off.

Next, try Live View. Does it focus accurately?

Do all your lenses cause the same missed focus. If not, are the problematic lenses wide angle?

Does the green focus status light up in the lower part of the viewfinder. If you focus manually, and get the Green light steady, is it still out of focus when zooming in to 100%?

Are you doing your tests in AF-S, if not switch to that mode. To reduce another variable in the evidence gathering, be sure the tests are done in good light.

Try this and report back the results and it will point in the direction to look further.

The question about the focal length of the lenses showing the problem is prompted by the fact that wide refraction angles are harder for AF systems to compensate for phase differences. An AF adjustment problem usually shows itself first at wider angles.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30539 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.