Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30506
View in linear mode

Subject: "PC won't recognise D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
mycroscope Registered since 30th Oct 2013Wed 30-Oct-13 09:21 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"PC won't recognise D7000"

GB

Hi, I've had the D7000 for a while now and never had a problem like this before. It's not the camera or card because all works smoothly on my laptop. But on my PC it has suddenly stopped recognising the camera. In Windows Explorer it simply isn't there. In Device Manager I can see the camera there but only in "Other Devices" and with an exclamation mark. I also tried taking out the card and using a card reader. Doesn't appear either. Yet other memory cards appear fine. On my laptop it works with both camera and memory card reader. I just upgraded to Win.8.1 on both laptop and PC. The first time I plugged the camera into the PC it started to load the drivers but then stopped and was unrecognised. But on the Laptop the drivers loaded just fine. Thus, I must deduce that it can't be a camera issue. Is it a corrupted driver? If so, how to replace? I can usually find solutions to problems but not this time. I reckon I can't be the only one to have this problem so does anyone out there have suggestions as to what might be causing this? Thanks for your help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PC won't recognise D7000
Ineluki Gold Member
30th Oct 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
LeslieTroyer Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
km6xz Moderator
30th Oct 2013
mycroscope
30th Oct 2013
JosephK Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
Wolphin Silver Member
01st Nov 2013

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Wed 30-Oct-13 10:02 AM
2751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

>Hi, I've had the D7000 for a while now and never had a
>problem like this before. It's not the camera or card because
>all works smoothly on my laptop. But on my PC it has suddenly
>stopped recognising the camera. In Windows Explorer it simply
>isn't there. In Device Manager I can see the camera there but
>only in "Other Devices" and with an exclamation
>mark. I also tried taking out the card and using a card
>reader. Doesn't appear either. Yet other memory cards appear
>fine. On my laptop it works with both camera and memory card
>reader. I just upgraded to Win.8.1 on both laptop and PC. The
>first time I plugged the camera into the PC it started to load
>the drivers but then stopped and was unrecognised. But on the
>Laptop the drivers loaded just fine. Thus, I must deduce that
>it can't be a camera issue. Is it a corrupted driver? If so,
>how to replace? I can usually find solutions to problems but
>not this time. I reckon I can't be the only one to have this
>problem so does anyone out there have suggestions as to what
>might be causing this? Thanks for your help!

Hi Alan,

think you should update some files e.g. raw. It is hard to say anything being far away from your PC. Nikonusa posted some advice https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18698.
No sure if this helps but I tried

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 30-Oct-13 10:02 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamison, US

I assume your hardware is windows 8 compatible, the hardware specs were lax in 8.0 but are much less tolerant in 8.1

Sound like you have a drive db corruption. Some hardware configs USB channels cannot handle the larger SD cards (camera plugged into PC looks like an SD card)

These only work with SD adapters

get a mac, much less trouble

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Wed 30-Oct-13 02:35 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

usually when USB devices go wonky (happens sometimes on serial devices) - I go to the device manager - and update the driver( usually it got overwritten by someother new hardware). If that doesn't work I delete the device in the device manager - then when inserting it it will reinstall the driver (hopefully the correct one).

Les

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 30-Oct-13 06:07 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

I think Les has the correct answer. Drivers have been changed for many 8.1 devices so it is most likely that the driver configuration has been corrupted and just needs reload by deleting it. The next time the device is plugged in, it will load again.
If that does not take care of it, it is entirely possible and not that unusual that current 8.1 drivers are not sorted out yet and will have to be fixed. If that is the case, a lot of people will be posting complaints and it will get updates soon.
The rework of 8.1 is a bigger code revision than a normal 0.x version, it was downplayed a bit for PR reasons since 8.0 was not well received.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mycroscope Registered since 30th Oct 2013Wed 30-Oct-13 06:12 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Hi there! Thanks for replies. I have deleted in Device Manager and then reconnected the camera but the same thing happens. It works okay on my Win.8.1 laptop. Flummoxed!

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 30-Oct-13 09:54 PM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Seattle, WA, US

My recommendation is to skip attaching that camera to the computer; it is not worth the effort.

Go with the card reader. If the suggestion from Les does not work with the card reader, there is some serious problems somewhere.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Fri 01-Nov-13 01:55 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: PC won't recognise D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Calgary, CA

I agree! Only time I use the USB cable, is when I am shooting tethered, which is very, very rare!

Could also see if it is a) usb cable, or b) the usb port at issue by trying different cable (standard mini cable will work with it), or another USB port.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30506 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.