Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3049
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noise problematic in my new D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Thu 09-Dec-10 04:03 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noise problematic in my new D7000"
Thu 09-Dec-10 04:13 PM by briantilley

Vallejo, US

I recently bought the D7000 because of its reportedly low noise even at high ISOs. Unfortunately, after much experimenting, I must say that the amount of noise I'm getting even at medium ISOs is unacceptable. Exposure according to the histograms is good. I've been using a Tamron 28-300mm VR lens and my 50mm 1.8 Nikkor. Unfortunately I traded in my D80, which performed better on noise than the D7000. Here's an image which has just been rejected by one of my microstock sites for too much noise:

Edited to remove link to oversize image

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000
caesarhernandez
09th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
09th Dec 2010
waxart
09th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
09th Dec 2010
elec164 Silver Member
09th Dec 2010
Zevi Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
10th Dec 2010
Obes Silver Member
10th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
11th Dec 2010
Len Shepherd Gold Member
09th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
09th Dec 2010
waxart
14th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
mmrusdy
14th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
14th Dec 2010
waxart
14th Dec 2010
Zevi Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
waxart
14th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
14th Dec 2010
waxart
14th Dec 2010

caesarhernandez Registered since 04th Nov 2010Thu 09-Dec-10 04:08 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

CR

I can't tell anything about the pic, its way to big to look at!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 09-Dec-10 04:17 PM
28748 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Hi, Ann.

Could I ask that you link to a smaller version of your image, please?

We specify a limit of 1200 pixels on the longer side and 300K file size. Since linked pictures display in-line here, the limit also applies to those. This is to maximise the viewing experience for our members.

Many thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Thu 09-Dec-10 04:32 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Vallejo, US

Sorry - I'm not used to using the forum. Silly mistake. The new attachment is much smaller!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 09-Dec-10 05:10 PM
28748 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

Many thanks, Ann

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 09-Dec-10 05:19 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 09-Dec-10 05:32 PM by elec164

US

What ISO did you shoot that image at? It looks good to me, but then I believe noise as DOF is dependent on viewing distance and magnification. The fact that you down sized that image would possible remove a certain amount of noise in and of itself despite the small size and viewing distance. A 100% crop would allow us to see actual pixels and get an indication of exactly how much noise was in the image.

I also moved up from a D80 and my experience is that the D7000 is far superior in ISO noise then the D80. I just took a portrait of my dog in the park at ISO 1600 for my wife’s desk that looks great printed out that I would never have even attempted with the D80. Granted I understand that a stock agency might reject that image for noise issues, but it certainly is more than acceptable for my purpose and way better than what my D80 could accomplish.

ISO1600, f/4.8, 1/100 @ 155mm

Pete

Pete

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 01:31 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Ann Arbor, US

> I just took a
>portrait of my dog in the park ...

Nice shot. Nothing to do with noise, but I have to say that I love the dog's expression: "Am I doing OK, daddy?"

Cheers,
Zevi.

"Dogs have owners, cats have staff."

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 10-Dec-10 02:14 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

My d7k gets notably better noise performance than my d90 which was better than the d80. You should be getting less noise with the d7000, especially as the ISO goes up.

I don't see any real noise to speak of in the linked photo. Are you able to upload the file you submitted to your Nikonians gallery with EXIF data?

Jason

Obes Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2009Fri 10-Dec-10 11:35 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Brisbane, AU

I don't see any visible "ISO" noise there ?
No exif data so no idea what ISO you shot at.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 11-Dec-10 06:08 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 11-Dec-10 06:11 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Hi Ann,

I think the photo is gorgeous - well done! Likewise I do not see any noise.

Have you a long experience with the microstock site in question? Have they been decent to deal with previously?

Maybe a little off topic but I am also curious whether you consider your microstock as decently paying etc.

I have never used a stock agency but they always sound a little pretentious to me with their high megapixel mania and overly pedantic peering at images for microflaws

Of course if I could make enough money to pay for a new lens, camera, or flash I might think differently

My limited D7000 experience so far is that yes I do seem to have to pay attention to certain OOF backgrounds and even give them a little gaussian blur goosing on occasion.

Maybe this is a result of the higher resolution as opposed to being "noise", but that it speculation on my part.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 09-Dec-10 08:00 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>I must say that the amount of noise I'm getting even at medium ISOs is unacceptable.
I have done a fair bit of testing of the D7000 - and find the noise better than the D300s.
dpreview rate the high ISO noise as the best available in a crop sensor camera.
Either your camera is defective (it should be better than the D80) or you are maybe expecting noise to be several ISO speeds faster than the D80.
Digressing and trying to put the issue into some sort of perspective my D3s (the best low noise camera in production) does not achieve 3 stops better noise than my D300, though it does achieve obviously better dynamic range and colour faster than about 3200.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 09-Dec-10 11:12 PM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Ann

I don't see the noise you are referring to.

There are two types of noise - noise in low light areas and noise that appears as pixelation in adequately lighted areas. The anti-aliasing filter on the camera and the camera processor tend to create a bit of noise. Sharpening can increase the noise - even if it is the standard in-camera sharpening. I find the D7000 deals well with low light noise but most Nikon cameras occasionally have some degree of pixelation.

The best way to deal with noise is generally to reduce sharpening and add some blur. Ideally, you would do that selectively so you sharpen the red stocking in your photo but have no sharpening or even a bit of Gaussian Blur in the rest of the image. If you are shooting with Picture Control settings, you can eliminate some noise by reducing the sharpening slightly. Reducing contrast can also help - especially with the D7000.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 12:14 AM
#11. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Vallejo, US

Nikon finally got back to me. They told me to reset the camera to its defaults and I would find the noise problem resolved. Well, I did this and they were right. However, the default format is Jpeg and I prefer to shoot RAW. Mode was P and I usually shoot in Aperture priority or manual. Lots of settings were on Auto, of course, which was very restricting. Anyway, after a day of shooting with the defaults I went back to my custom settings. I find that, to avoid under-exposure (the instigator of noise), I often have to shoot with +1-+2 exposure comp. This surprises me. I'm using matrix metering and 39-point autofocus. I realize that, having spent months learning my Panasonic G1 (micro 4/3rds), I now have another steep learning curve ahead of me. Heaven help the beginner who buys this amazing D7000!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 14-Dec-10 12:39 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I find that, to avoid under-exposure
>(the instigator of noise), I often have to shoot with +1-+2
>exposure comp.

If you can get back to the settings you used in your first posted image you should be fine. There wasn't any noise in that capture.

I realize that, having spent months
>learning my Panasonic G1 (micro 4/3rds), I now have another
>steep learning curve ahead of me. Heaven help the beginner who
>buys this amazing D7000!

You'd first indicated you were using a D80. The operation of the D7000 is very similar.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mmrusdy Registered since 22nd Nov 2010Tue 14-Dec-10 06:14 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
Tue 14-Dec-10 08:03 AM by briantilley

Selangor, MY

Must understand the all D7000 function button.. easy and nice to learn the new setting...

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 14-Dec-10 11:05 AM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"

Atlanta, US

Ann

I'm also surprised that you need positive exposure compensation. The tendency of the D7000 is to slightly overexpose, and my experience is I need to dial in -.3 to -.7 in exposure compensation.

High Active D-Lighting would cause the camera to underexpose slightly. Some subjects with bright backgrounds or bright lights - like the stocking shot - will be underexposed without exposure compensation as the camera is trying to keep from blowing out the bright spots.

View NX2 is free and does a good job of reading the actual camera settings. While you are "working the bugs out", it may be useful.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 04:04 PM
#16. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Vallejo, US

Yes, I was surprised too. I have not enabled active D-lighting or any of the other custom settings in the retouching menu. I have been using CS5 Camera Raw 6.3 to examine my images. I will try iew NX2 , which is still in the box. Thanks for the suggestion, Eric.

Yes, my previous Nikon was a D80, but I just traded it in at Adorama. My 'other' camera is a Panasonic G1 - great little machine with horrible manual!

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 04:14 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

Ann Arbor, US

>Yes, I was surprised too. I have not enabled active
>D-lighting or any of the other custom settings in the
>retouching menu. I have been using CS5 Camera Raw 6.3 to
>examine my images.

If you don't use Nikon's software to examine your raw images, than none of your in-camera setting affects the image that you see on the computer.

Cheers,
Zevi

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 04:42 PM
#20. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 17

Vallejo, US

>>Yes, I was surprised too. I have not enabled active
>>D-lighting or any of the other custom settings in the
>>retouching menu. I have been using CS5 Camera Raw 6.3 to
>>examine my images.

>
>If you don't use Nikon's software to examine your raw images,
>than none of your in-camera setting affects the image that you
>see on the computer.
>
>Cheers,
>Zevi
>
>
This is what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 14-Dec-10 04:36 PM
#18. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

Paignton, GB

Eric was talking about Active D-lighting, which is an option in the Shooting Menu for use when taking shots. D-lighting in the Retouch Menu is something that can be applied afterwards.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 04:40 PM
#19. "RE: Noise problematic in my new D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

Vallejo, US

Sorry - read the post too fast (trying to deal with dozens of e-mails this a.m.). I'm not using Active D-Lighting in the shooting menu either, though I might give it a try. Experimentation is the name of the game with a new camera!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3049 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.