Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30470
View in linear mode

Subject: "Loss of Lens fine tuning values?" Previous topic | Next topic
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Sun 27-Oct-13 05:48 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
Mon 28-Oct-13 03:07 AM by larrycurrlymoe

Calgary, CA

I was out literally all day yesterday, before sun up until after sundown, 750 images and were very disappointed with the results. When I started to investigate I found that all of my Fine Tuning settings for my lens' has been set to "0".
Is there any way to determine "when" these settings were re-set?
None of my other customized settings have been changed, has anyone else encountered this problem on either a 7000 or 7100?
Turbo

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?
aolander Silver Member
28th Oct 2013
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
RECONLEY Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
30th Oct 2013
RECONLEY Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
30th Oct 2013
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
aolander Silver Member
30th Oct 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
09th Nov 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 28-Oct-13 12:29 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Oct-13 12:44 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

How did you test and then select the fine tune focus values for each of your lenses to start with?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Wed 30-Oct-13 02:01 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

I used a checkerboard calibrator, with the 45 degree numeric ruler beside. Here is a link to the one I have.
https://www.thecamerastore.com/products/datacolor/datacolor-spyderlenscal
Turbo

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012Wed 30-Oct-13 02:45 AM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Did you save and number your af fine tune settings?

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 30-Oct-13 06:34 AM
6112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I don't think there is any direct way to tell when the AF fine-tune values were changed. That's not information that appears in the EXIF data. About all you can do is review your images to see when they started to be out of focus, then try to think if anything unusual had happened at that time.

I have a D7000 and a D7100. Neither has ever lost its AF fine-tune settings.

I'm curious, when you say the settings have been set to 0, do you mean that the list of lenses is gone or that the list is still there but when you attach a lens the "saved value" shows 0?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012Wed 30-Oct-13 12:09 PM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 4

Marietta, US

Nikon ViewNX2 does report the af fine tune value for each shot. You can look and see if the fine tune setting changed during your shooting.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 30-Oct-13 12:13 PM
6112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 30-Oct-13 12:18 PM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

Ah, cool!

Now I see it in the EXIF data using ExifTool, too. Not sure how I missed it before!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Wed 30-Oct-13 11:34 PM
#8. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 30-Oct-13 11:37 PM by larrycurrlymoe

Calgary, CA

I have determined that this has been user error on my part
When I reviewed the Fine tune values the lenses were there and since I did not number them, the "value's" listed were blank and I misinterpreted this to mean there were no values associated with each lens. When I put the lenses on the value for each lense is now available.
The shot quality turned out poor as the Optical Stabilization (VR equivalent) on my Sigma lens got turned off.
Turbo

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 30-Oct-13 01:15 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It's more likely that you didn't save the settings correctly.

Alan

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 09-Nov-13 12:24 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Loss of Lens fine tuning values?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

The lens fine tuning settings on my D7000 were zeroed when I did a firmware update.

my website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30470 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.