Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30440
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Refurbished Bodies - Why so many for sale???" Previous topic | Next topic
about2 Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2007Fri 25-Oct-13 02:15 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Refurbished Bodies - Why so many for sale???"

San Leandro, US

Does anyone else wonder why there are so many refurbished D7100's available. B&H has them in stock and Adorama's ebay site shows 112 sold and more for sale.

I know many bodies/lenses are in the hands of Nikon reps and venues where demo's are available. Does this account for all the D7100's that are "refurbished". Or, can it mean there are problems with the camera.

Someone, somewhere posted that buying refurbished is the way to go because it has been checked out, repaired if necessary, restored to factory specs and they don't have too many clicks. That makes good sense if indeed there are problems with this model which result in the number of refurbed bodies for sale.

There surely is a logical explanation of which I'm unfamiliar that will assuage my fear of buying new, the path I prefer.

Your thoughts?

Best Regards,
Doug Olsen

SF Bay Area Nikonian

A man can never have too much Nikon equipment

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 25-Oct-13 03:39 AM
6054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Refurbished Bodies - Why so many for sale???"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

That's not much data from which to draw conclusions. Considering how many D7100's have been sold, a few hundred "refurbished" cameras doesn't seem like that many. And I think a camera gets refurbished even if it was returned for reasons other than having a problem, such as the customer just decided not to keep it.

There don't seem to be reports of any consistent problems with the D7100. No oil spots, no focus funnies. The usual news outlets that have covered the problems other bodies have experienced have not reported anything like that for the D7100 as far as I can tell. I know mine works perfectly, and that seems to be the norm.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Fri 25-Oct-13 04:15 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Refurbished Bodies - Why so many for sale???"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

I dont know why there seems to be so many, but I am thankful there are. I bought one for $850 on EBay and I am a happy man.

My unit had about 500 clicks on it when it arrived. Many hundreds of pictures later, its flawless.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 25-Oct-13 12:50 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Refurbished Bodies - Why so many for sale???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I believe the D7100 has been a rather problem-free Nikon release. Doesn't mean people don't send 'em back.

I bought mine on the day of release and couldn't be happier. If you can go with a new one, I'd do it.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 25-Oct-13 05:06 PM
3957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Refurbished Bodies - Why so many for sale???"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Does anyone else wonder why there are so many refurbished
>D7100's available. B&H has them in stock and Adorama's
>ebay site shows 112 sold and more for sale.

Not wondering. Nikon has sold a lot of D7100 bodies and kits. The camera has been utterly problem free. A great release of a really good camera.

Refurbished bodies come from a variety of sources. Authorized service centers refurbish bodies that have come off lease, that have been taken in trade (e.g., when someone decides that a D7100 is too much for them and opts for a D5200 instead), returns (e.g., because someone was unable to use the camera properly, or overspent - there are a million reasons), show demonstrator bodies, and so on. Lots of reasons. Some retailers retain most of their floor stock that has been opened and handled by prospective customers and mark them down slightly as "Open Box" items. Some retailers send the bodies out to be refurbished. Returned and exchanged bodies are often sent out by retailers for refurb. There are lots of reasons.

In general, I think the more popular a particular camera body happens to be, the more refurbs you'll see for sale through legitimate channels. There have been tons of D300, D700 and D3 refurbed bodies sold in recent years. Nothing wrong with any of those cameras either.

Berger Bros. (a Nikonians sponsor), B&H and Adorama are all reputable sources for warranted refurb Nikon bodies.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30440 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.