Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30400
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Shutter Reliability" Previous topic | Next topic
StevenPituch Registered since 17th Aug 2012Wed 16-Oct-13 01:07 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Shutter Reliability"

Corpus Christi, US

Hi All,
I have a D5100 which I like very much. After 17,000+ shutter actuations I got the dreaded shutter error message which asks you to press the shutter button again, and no file is saved. The mirror didn't appear to be jammed and I was able to get the camera working again after about 15 minutes of playing with all the controls. But it jammed again with the same error message a second time during a shoot recently for about 5 minutes. I am wanting to send it out for repair/adjustment, but need another camera body, so I am looking at buying a D7100.

The D7100 would be a big expense for me. I see that quite a few people have had the same shutter problem with their D5100s so I am thinking that the D5100 shutter is prone to this, or at least it is one of the more common problems. However, it seems that the 7000 series can do it also. I also seem to remember that that D5100 shutter was tested for 100,000 actuations where the D7000 or D7100 was tested for 150,000 actuations but I can't confirm any of this right now as the Nikoscope search does not work for me right now.

I know the the D7100 is highly regarded and is built better than the D5100, but wondering if anyone knows if a better shutter is used in the D7100 versus the one in the D5100. I know that just about everything else in the D7100 is better than the D5100.

Thanks,
Steve Pituch

Visit HTTP://pituch.smugmug.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability
jbloom Gold Member
16th Oct 2013
beemerman2k Silver Member
16th Oct 2013
StevenPituch
17th Oct 2013
km6xz Moderator
20th Oct 2013
goodguy
21st Oct 2013
Crisol
31st Oct 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 16-Oct-13 02:57 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Yes, you have the numbers correct. Also, the D7100 shutter provides 1/8000 sec shutter speed, so it's clearly a different mechanism.

But the test numbers aren't guarantees. My D3 shutter failed after 180,000 clicks, even though the D3 was tested for 300,000 cycles.

As for the D5100 problems, I would be careful about extrapolating from Internet complaints. You are likely to get a pretty unbalanced view from that.

Here is an interesting page:
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d5000.htm

Granted, it's the D5000. (They don't seem to have newer models represented, which makes me think the site isn't being updated any more. Still, it's more data than I've seen elsewhere.) But it does show that, yes, shutters sometimes fail before the "tested" number of cycles.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Wed 16-Oct-13 03:18 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

This is all news to me. I have almost 28,000 shutter actuations on my D7000, and all of them trouble-free shots (if you don't count my often poor composition or mis-applied camera settings ).

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

StevenPituch Registered since 17th Aug 2012Thu 17-Oct-13 12:15 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability"
In response to Reply # 2

Corpus Christi, US

Jon and Beerman2k,
Jon,
Thanks for that web link. It was quite refreshing to see those numbers. I won't worry about the shutter. Likely getting the D7100 very soon and sending the D5100 in for adjustment.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

Visit HTTP://pituch.smugmug.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 20-Oct-13 06:16 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

I had seen that site before but forgotten about it. It is interesting to note that the D5000 is better than other cameras of the same class from other brands and even better in longevity than some pro cameras. Generally speaking the higher the maximum shutter speed, the more delicate the mechanism, which to attain those high speeds need to be very low mass.
I have 100k shots with the D90, 36,000 with the D7000 and 26,000 with the D800. I suspect the D90 will outlast them all but all will have a long life.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Mon 21-Oct-13 02:54 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I believe the D7100 is rated for 150,000 shutter actuations but that's just an average estimate.
Don't buy a camera thinking what is going to go wrong with it.
I had a Nikon D7000 and it always backed focused even after a Nikon spa and my own Fine Tuning it didn't help and I upgraded to the D7100 and all problems solved.
The D7100 is an AWESOME camera, buy it with confidence!

Crisol Registered since 15th Apr 2013Thu 31-Oct-13 06:44 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 Shutter Reliability"
In response to Reply # 5

Barcelona, ES

The D7100 is rated for an estimate of 150,000 shutter actuations.
About the problem with your camera try to format the SD card.
The shutter blocks when you have a picture ending with 999 in your current folder, and it may be your problem.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30400 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.