Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3039
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 color balance issues." Previous topic | Next topic
scotty Mc Registered since 09th Dec 2010Thu 09-Dec-10 02:06 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 color balance issues."

AU

Ok im aware that It maybe just me struggling to come to grips with this camera i got... still im getting a repeatitive mix of problems with whitebalance settings when not on auto.
In the studio I affixed my flash heads to a trigger join and bundled it onto my manual flash trigger mount.
Then having owned a d100 i relised i needed to set some sort of flash setting within the camera so looking up specifically i selected the WB first to be flash and then set my flash option to manual mode so that i could use my strobes.
Now the strobes fired... and the light metering was selected based on a handheld flashmeter. I set shutter 120/th a sec and chose f16 two modelling lamps were on for the strobes.
Now when i look at the photos... I get a distinct pinky red colorshift. I should think if the flashes hadnt fired it'd be orange not pink so am at a loss to figure out where i went wrong. any good advice appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 09-Dec-10 02:27 PM
28331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 color balance issues."
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

If your flash heads have a similar colour temperature to Nikon Speedlights, then using the Flash WB should be fine.

Did you mean that your shutter speed was 1/20th second? If so, this is probably slow enough to let the ambient lighting (whatever it was) affect the exposure. Unless you're trying for a special effect, I'd try again at 1/125th or 1/200th. If you want to include both ambient and flash illumination you'd need to go back to Auto WB or fit some colour filters to the flash heads to match the ambient light.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Thu 09-Dec-10 02:47 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 color balance issues."
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, US

The best WB setting for strobes is "PRE"...setting a custom WB with a grey card

There are many variables that can effect your strobe color temp...quality of the strobes themselves, age of bulbs/flash tubes, condition and quality of modifiers, surrounding surfaces etc.

I have a few old (really old) Photoflex medium striplights that get a lot of use and as a result have yellowed a tiny bit and are a few hundred degrees warmer than my ProFoto modifiers. I like the warmth in them as kickers or rims so I haven't changed out the diffusion panels and just make sure that my WB is custom set for my KEY light and let the rest fall where they may.

have fun...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3039 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.