Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30356
View in linear mode

Subject: "Confused on which direction to take. . ." Previous topic | Next topic
Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Mon 14-Oct-13 07:32 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Confused on which direction to take. . ."

US

So though I read the forums at length I tend not to post, donít know why, but I gather much information from reading what others have posted especially when I know that these folks have far more experience than I do.

I feel like Iím ready for a new camera body, but even though Iíve read just about everything about choosing I canít decide to wait longer for something new or take the plunge. The $$ is saved from hobby generated cash and has been set aside so that really doesnít come into play a whole lot. My current body and first DSLR is the D3100 which Iíve spent a summer in Italy with and about 2 years since then. We recently purchased my daughter (still living at home but going off to college soon to study media design and photography) a D7100 which I got to play with for a few days before it became permanently hers. Iíve been reading tons about the potential D400, the newly released D610, and of course the D7100. I like to shoot a lot of small objects (macro), plated food or ingredients, just about everything when I get the chance to travel, be it people, nature, or architecture. I donít see myself shooting action sports or very much studio type portraits.

So do I wait for the ďD400Ē, who knows how long or if ever? Do I get the D7100? Or should I make the jump to FX and get a D610 or above? How does one make that decision? Of the D7100 vs. D610 on paper the D7100 looks to be the better, but even though when the ďexpertsĒ report in the consensus is the D610 is better. I would like to purchase a new body, though I have no problem buying used lenses, I want the body to be mine. Is that weird? I'd also like a body that will keep me happy for the next 5 or more years.

TIA for all of your thoughtful opinions.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Confused on which direction to take. . .
JosephK Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
15th Oct 2013
efd123 Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
dm1dave Administrator
15th Oct 2013
km6xz Moderator
15th Oct 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
Dean51 Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
15th Oct 2013
Dean51 Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
JosephK Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
16th Oct 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
16th Oct 2013
Dean51 Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Confused on whicnsh direction to take. . .
DObieG
16th Oct 2013
torwood Silver Member
16th Oct 2013
jagabom Silver Member
16th Oct 2013
km6xz Moderator
17th Oct 2013
Dean51 Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
Dean51 Silver Member
23rd Oct 2013
km6xz Moderator
23rd Oct 2013
Dean51 Silver Member
24th Oct 2013
sabbey51 Silver Member
24th Oct 2013
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
23rd Oct 2013
Reply message Direction chosen. . . new stuff on its way!!!
Dean51 Silver Member
25th Oct 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 14-Oct-13 08:35 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

This is probably not the question you want but, what is it about the D3100 that is currently holding you back from the photos you want to capture?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 15-Oct-13 12:03 PM
6053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

>This is probably not the question you want but, what is it
>about the D3100 that is currently holding you back from the
>photos you want to capture?

This is the correct question. Dean, each of the available cameras can shoot everything you mentioned and do it well. So, as you have discovered, can your D3100. So what are the features of the cameras you are looking at that make you want to upgrade? 24 megapixels? Video? Better AF system? AF-lens compatibility? Or is it just NAS? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

If you can settle in your own mind what you are most looking for, that will help you answer the question. Of course, if the answer is that it's just NAS, only you can know which camera will give you the warm fuzzies!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Tue 15-Oct-13 01:01 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Eldridge, US

For me I would take the D400 out of the equation and focus on which cameras are available now. Now Iím going to contradict that statement by saying I would wait one more week before making your decision, there are rumors the D5300 will be announced this week. It wonít hurt to wait one more week but waiting for the next camera is a never ending battle. I used to be one of those waiting for the D400 but this spring I purchased the D7100 and I have not regretted it.

Looking at your equipment profile you appear to have mostly DX lenses so that may sway you towards the D7100 unless you have the budget for a new camera and lenses. I donít have any firsthand experience with the D600/D610 but if your ultimate goal is full frame it looks like a very capable camera.

I primarily shoot BIF so the extra reach from the DX cameras pushed me to the D7100. Taking Josephís question about what is holding you back and also looking at what type of pictures you primarily take will help with your decision. Good luck with your choice.

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 15-Oct-13 02:54 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Looking at your list of lenses and your shooting priorities I agree with Dave above that the D7100 may be the best choice. You have a good DX lens set especially the 17-55.

The people waiting for a D400 are looking for a faster frame rate and a few enhancements in controls. You are not shooting action so the frame rate and buffer are not so important.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 15-Oct-13 12:17 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

I will join the chorus, what do you feel will improve in a visible way when going to a new camera? The answer could save you a lot of money. The D7100 is the image quality and feature industry leader in the DX world and the D400 will be much more expensive, aimed at the one class of shooter who needs
Going FX is not a cheap move, with one exception; bodies are cheap right now, compared to FX lenses. Ask the average enthusiast shooting FX and they will admit, if their spouse is not around to hear, that they have probably an average of $10k in lenses. Unless they are bird in flight shooters, then increase that a lot. A D610 is a minor investment in comparison.
I recommend that if someone wants to go FX, they would do best to start their collection of lenses because each addition will be fine, in fact great, on their DX camera.
The biggest risk is presented by your current camera, it is so good for general shooting that improvement will be seen only in extremes of shooting conditions when moving to higher end cameras. The higher you go, the more expensive each step is, and each step in improvement is a smaller increase.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 15-Oct-13 04:50 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 15-Oct-13 08:11 PM by kentak

US

To all the good folks who gave *rational* advice, a little something to consider.

One's enjoyment of a hobby or pleasurable pastime is not always grounded in rational choices.

I have know folks who will spend hours sitting in boats on which they have spent thousands, using gear on which they have spent hundreds, in the pursuit of catching fish which are then returned to whence they came. What's rational about that? And, yet, they seem to derive immense pleasure from the pursuit, all the while saving up for their next rod and reel--which will likely not catch more fish than the ones they have.

If the OP feels that a newer and more featured camera will increase his enjoyment of photography, I say let him go that route. I might have a different view if his doing so would take food out of his baby's mouth or deplete his retirement fund. OtherwiseÖ

I do think it's prudent to consider the longer term expense involved in a move to FX over DX.

Kent

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Thu 17-Oct-13 01:49 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 17-Oct-13 01:51 AM by Dean51

US

Thanks Kent, those are all good rational points.

I tend to make my hobbies pay for my hobbies, which I have too many of, and haven't done that with photography as of yet. Probably won't any time soon.

But I have saved a considerable sum of hobby $$$ over the last six months while I've been thinking about this purchase.

I do tend to over analyze before purchasing but want to do so before December.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 15-Oct-13 05:18 PM
1725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Dean,

I'm a firm believer that if you're feeling like it's time to make a move, Make The Move. As to what new body - there used to be a saying in the technology field that "The next generation will be more powerful, smaller and less expensive. So, the logical extension is If You Wait Forever You'll Get Everything For Nothing". I'd purchase one of today's available bodies and start enjoying your new camera! Since you've already made a substantial investment in DX you might consider a D7100. It'll do everything that you want with enhanced detail and greater capability than your present 3100. You've got a relatively wide current lens selection so you could buy a 7100 body, keep your 3100 for backup and have a good time. Or, you could purchase a 7100 kit and give the extra lens to your daughter and simultaneously expand her capabilities - for two kit ideas see:
http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D7100-DSLR-Camera-with-18-200mm-VRII-Lens-Bundle.product.100042262.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=nikon+d7100&langId=-1&storeId=10301

and

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-DX-Format-Digital-18-105mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B00BI9X97I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381857176&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+d7100+kit

There, wasn't that easy?

Tom

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Tue 15-Oct-13 05:47 PM
#8. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for the great replies, hereís a bit more insight.

When I initially purchased the D3100 it was on the spur of the moment when I was accepted into a culinary internship program for a summer in Italy. It was my first venture back to an SLR camera after over 15yrs without. The one thing I knew was that I wanted to capture better images while in Italy than my camera phone or cheap pocket digital camera. I will say that it served my purpose very well, gave me better images than Iíve ever taken before, and still does with the exception of one little thing. It is really small in my hands sometimes to the point of cramping (because I canít get my whole hand on the grip) especially with extended use and some of the larger lenses where it feels very unbalanced (not necessarily heavy). When I shoot macro on the tripod no problem at all. I will say that this camera has got me re-enthused into photography.

Moving forward I will probably loose use of half of the lenses I (we) have when my daughter goes off to college next year (she will be studying media design and photography and is very talented). Most of them were purchased with her use in mind but I list them all so you have a feel of where Iím at right now. A little interesting side note. . . as we (wife, daughter and I) were talking about this over breakfast about a week ago my wife says ďwhat would you do with the old (D3100) cameraĒ my daughter instantly replied to sell it. Then my wife said ďwhy donít you wrap it up for me for Christmas so I can have a nice camera tooĒ. I felt, that was her blessing and also could be a great way for more family time together.

So my confusion still exists, yet I am finding some great insight from everyone's replies that have probably gone down this path many times before.

I donít look at the purchase of camera equipment as an investment, I know it just depreciates. Though I guess the lenses are more of an investment if you consider that you can share them from camera to camera. This is something I want to enjoy and have fun with but at the same time I donít want to waste money even though Iíd be using hobby generated money.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 15-Oct-13 08:19 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 8

US

"Then my wife said ďwhy donít you wrap it up for me for Christmas so I can have a nice camera tooĒ. I felt, that was her blessing and also could be a great way for more family time together."

Dude! If you have a kid going off to college, you surely have learned by now: The Wife Is Always Right!

Kent

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 15-Oct-13 10:31 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, WA, US

>It is really small in my hands sometimes to
>the point of cramping (because I canít get my whole hand on
>the grip) especially with extended use and some of the larger
>lenses where it feels very unbalanced (not necessarily heavy).
>When I shoot macro on the tripod no problem at all. I will say
>that this camera has got me re-enthused into photography.

Now we are getting somewhere!

The D3000 and D5000 lines are the smallest DSLRs Nikon makes. The D90/D7000 line is noticeably larger. The D300 line is even bigger. I have large hands; while I started off with a D70S, I would never now drop below the size of the D300/D700. (Plus the bigger bodies have the additional buttons.)

The D7100 will get you the newest tech in a larger body. The D300S will get you the biggest DX body but not the newest tech. (The D400 would be a great camera if Nikon would ever bring it to market.)

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberWed 16-Oct-13 11:46 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 8

St. Louis, US

I'll chime in on a difference that goes beyond picture quality. Ease of use. Buttons instead of menus on the higher end cameras makes making changes to aperture, shutter speed, and ISO easier. And there's other features that I'm probably not aware of, since my digital experience has been D100, D7000 and D600 and not lower end bodies.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 16-Oct-13 03:47 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 8

Geneva, US

Dean,

Here's my take on your "hand cramp" issue. My introduction to DSLRs was when I bought a D40 for my research lab several years ago. The D40 is the predecessor to your D3100, and is approximately the same size. I agree completely that the relatively small size of the body is a negative point. A second negative point, which also persists with the D3100, is that many of the camera control functions are buried in menus rather than accessible by buttons and dials on the camera body.

I bought a D90 more than 3 years ago and recently moved on to a D7100. Even though the D7xxx series is considered the successor to the D90, I find the "feel" of the D7100 to be much more substantial in my big hands, and I appreciate the increase in body-accessible (as opposed to menu-accessible) controls. This was reinforced for me a few days ago when I grabbed the D90 for the first time in months to take a few shots.

The D7100 and D600/610 bodies are very similar in size and layout, and many of the folks pining for the long-awaited D400 are looking for, in addition to greater buffer capacity for burst shooting, the extra robustness and body-level controls (especially a dedicated AF-ON button) that are absent from not only the D7100 but also the D600/610.

My several months of experience with the D7100 have convinced me that it is a great camera, the "D800e of the DX world." As a result, if I were to make the jump to FX it would be for the D800e, not the D600/610.

Just my $0.02,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Thu 17-Oct-13 01:27 AM
#17. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 15

US

Thanks for that insight Dave, I hadn't really thought of the control functions buried in the menu. Probably because I've never had it otherwise. Which ever model I get I really want to get to know all of its functions to the point of not even having to look for them.
Though I could afford the D800 I feel like it might be too big of jump up at this time. I will say though I don't want to take too many steps and end up with a bunch of equipment just sitting around on the shelf. I already see that a little bit with some of the lenses we have, we tend to use our favorite lenses much more. Some of them came with the cameras and most of the others were sought out deals or purchased used.

DObieG Registered since 14th Aug 2013Wed 16-Oct-13 01:30 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Confused on whicnsh direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

Phenixvilleo, US

I recently jumped to a D600. Best decision I have made since I chose Nikon. I have several FX lens and several DX lens. I am also the proud owner of a D200 I purchased some years ago. My intent is to keep both camera bodies and all my Nikkor le

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Wed 16-Oct-13 02:59 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Confused on whicnsh direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 11

Jefferson Hills, US

I will make a slightly different recommendation. If I were you, having reviewed what you like to shoot: travel, macro/product, etc., I would buy a D600 or a D610. Forget DX for anything but wildlife, aviation, or sports on a budget (or small size, but you don't like that part of DX). The D600/D610 is better at high ISOs and has that beautiful big FX viewfinder. With 24 FX megapixels, It would be a great macro camera. A refurbished D600 kit (with 24-85 FX lens) is only about $500 more than a new D7100.

Looking at your lens collection, I don't think you need to add much to have a good FX kit (for what you shoot). You already have a 50mm prime and a long tele-zoom that are FX lenses. All you need is a mid range prime (could be had with the D600/D610 kit) and a wide angle (you can pick-up the new 18-35 on a budget, or get a used 16-35 f4 or 17-35 f2.8). You can get a 60mm macro used for not much money at all.

The cost of upgrading to FX is over-rated - unless you have a need for f2.8 pro zooms. Even then, if you don't need the latest, fastest AF performance, there are a lot of great pro f2.8 Nikon zooms for sale used for well under $1,000.

I shoot sports on a budget, so I'm stuck with DX. But, you don't have to be, so move to FX and give your DX zooms to your wife and daughter with the D3100 (which is a great carry-around camera, BTW. I bought one for my son, and I love the small size, but my hands are not large).

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Wed 16-Oct-13 05:48 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Confused on whicnsh direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 16-Oct-13 05:50 AM by jagabom

CA

Stan, what happened to the end of your sentence in the 2nd line of your post above? At the end end of the line all I see is "who needs"

Jim
D7K

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 17-Oct-13 05:41 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Confused on whicnsh direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 13

St Petersburg, RU

Sorry about that, it was there originally but occasionally, hitting the wrong key combinations cuts text out. The missing phrase is "frame rate above all else."
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Thu 17-Oct-13 01:14 AM
#16. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

US

So I think my next step is to get out to the local camera shop and see, touch, and try out the different bodies. Maybe even rent a couple for a day. Seems like all of the specifications etc will be fine no-matter which I choose. I sometimes tend to get all wrapped up in the various specs and features before I ever go and take a look at something.

If the choice comes down to the D7100, D600, or D610 how long would you wait after the D610 hits the shelves to hear about what the more experienced users feel about it?

Think I'll also sit down with my daughter and take a serious look at the lenses she really feels she will want to take with her.

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Wed 23-Oct-13 09:44 PM
#20. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 16

US

So Iíve been out to the local camera shop a couple times comparing the D7100 and the D600/610. I feel that either would be a great fit for me. They are very close to the same size and both fit in my hands 100% better than my D3100. Talked over the current lens lineup with my daughter and she will be taking the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, 35mm f/1.8G, and 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED off to college with her. We figured that weíd probably give my wife the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED kit lenses with the D3100. Which leaves me with the 50mm f/1.8G and the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED in a little under a yearís time.

So now Iím leaning towards getting the D610 for my next body and probably the 105 Macro lens. My camera dealer did tell me that the macro lens would work far better on the D610 body than the D7100 body with all else being equal.

So I keep going back to the specs of the two Iím still torn between the 51 vs. 39 focus points. Is that something that I should be concerned about while moving to the FX format? The guy at the camera shop was kind of wishy washy about it. Iím also kind of assuming that potentially moving from DX to FX is something that Iíll only do once.

A nice walk around lens will also be in the cards sometime in the future. That will be a later discussion though.
$$ wonít really be an issue except that I donít want to waste it by making the wrong purchase.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 23-Oct-13 10:00 PM
#21. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 20

St Petersburg, RU

The salesman said the D610 would be far better? Did he say why?
Both have some advantages with macro, but the DOF is shallower meaning focus stacking might be needed on more subjects than on the D7100.

Both are very good imaging devices, but intended for different optimum subjects. A landscape tripod shooting photographer will appreciate the D610 more than DX but the wildlife or sports shooter will get a bigger boost with the D7100.
Studio or portraiture is a wash, the D610 has a bit more limited flash sync speed and max shutter speed but the FX is preferred for portraits.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Thu 24-Oct-13 07:23 AM
#23. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 21

US

He said that the 105 macro lens would be better on the D610 because it was made for the FX bodies. I believe that the D7100 or other DX bodies would use more of the sweet spot or center of the lens. A least I think that's how I understand it.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Thu 24-Oct-13 11:32 PM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 23

Saddle river, US

>He said that the 105 macro lens would be better on the D610
>because it was made for the FX bodies. I believe that the
>D7100 or other DX bodies would use more of the sweet spot or
>center of the lens. A least I think that's how I understand
>it.

So I don't shoot macro, so take what I say with at least a little salt. The DX camera will give you a greater working distance with the 105, which is generally an advantage.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 25-Oct-13 05:39 AM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 24

Paignton, GB

>So I don't shoot macro, so take what I say with at least a
>little salt. The DX camera will give you a greater working
>distance with the 105, which is generally an advantage.

That's true, as long as you want the subject to fill the same amount of the frame. If you want the same reproduction ratio at the sensor, the working distance will be the same with DX and FX.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 23-Oct-13 11:32 PM
6053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Confused on which direction to take. . ."
In response to Reply # 20

Wethersfield, US

>So I keep going back to the specs of the two Iím still torn
>between the 51 vs. 39 focus points. Is that something that I
>should be concerned about while moving to the FX format? The
>guy at the camera shop was kind of wishy washy about it. Iím
>also kind of assuming that potentially moving from DX to FX is
>something that Iíll only do once.

If you plan to shoot a lot of action (sports, birds in flight, that sort of thing) the Multi-CAM 3500 (51-point) AF system is a definite advantage. But if most of your subjects will be static or slow-moving, the Multi-CAM 4800 (39-point) system is perfectly adequate. (There is an outstanding shooter in the Sports forum who routinely posts great D600 sports images, so it's not a horrible action camera in any case.)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Fri 25-Oct-13 06:17 PM
#26. "Direction chosen. . . new stuff on its way!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Went with my gut feeling and made the decision to get a D7100 along with the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED and I couldnít turn down the 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR as a walk around lens that they are packaging as a kit. All should be here in about a week.

Just couldnít find it to jump on the D610 right now, even though I know itís a great camera it felt like a Band-Aid to the D600. Plus after seeing what they added to the new D5300 they have to have something coming in the next few years for the FX format. Maybe then Iíll make the jump, or maybe Iíll just be really happy with the D7100 and have fun with it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30356 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.