Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30348
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 B&W" Previous topic | Next topic
Wj9dwest Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Mon 14-Oct-13 12:23 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 B&W"

Scappoose, US

Is it possible to shoot in-camera black & white with a D7000? I know I can convert in Lightroom, but don't want to waste the time if I don't have to. Thanks for any help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 B&W
William Rounds Gold Member
14th Oct 2013
marksj Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
JosephK Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
Snappo Silver Member
15th Oct 2013

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Mon 14-Oct-13 12:28 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 B&W"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Oct-13 12:29 PM by William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR

You can select monochrome in the "Picture Settings". Personally, I have never been impressed with the in-camera B&W renderings, always preferring to work on them in post-processing.

marksj Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2008Tue 15-Oct-13 01:50 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 B&W"
In response to Reply # 1

Long Island, US

I agree with William. Shoot in color (raw/jpeg) and you will have more options in the future. I've never been satisfied with any in-camera b/w or monochrome, and I might later decide to render the photo in color.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 15-Oct-13 04:01 AM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 B&W"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

You can set the Picture Control to "monochrome". If you are shooting raw files, this is just a flag in the file that most non-Nikon software will ignore. For JPG files, the camera's conversion will be baked into the picture. As previously noted, software conversions to b&w will usually get you better results than the camera's conversion.

The big advantage to using the monochrome setting when shooting raw files is that the camera will show you the b&w version on the LCD so that you can see any potential exposure problems while the flag in the raw file is easily used or ignored as you want in post processing.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 15-Oct-13 02:20 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 B&W"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Charlotte, US

I sometimes capture images in color that I think would look good in monochrome. Then I employ more flexible post processing software to bring out the full quality from my perspective. Look at something like NIK's Silver EFX Pro as an example. I can vary the contrast, apply filters, add a film texture, grain and a lot of other great effects.

Joseph's comment about previewing in monochrome is about the only reason, other than convenience, I see for using the B&W feature of the camera.

You might try an experiment. Take an image using the in-camera B&W option. Put it away and try not to look at it. Then take the same exact image in color and post process in Lightroom, adjusting the image to your taste. Once you're done, compare the two images and see if you like what the camera has done. That will help you decide if you want to use that feature on a regular basis or not.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Tue 15-Oct-13 04:11 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 B&W"
In response to Reply # 4

Tulsa, US

NIK's Silver EFX Pro is also my favorite. Have used NIK for several years.

Good info here: http://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/silver-efex-pro/ I think it has a free trial period.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30348 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.