Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30293
View in linear mode

Subject: "Eye cup for D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Thu 10-Oct-13 04:36 PM
846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Eye cup for D7100"

Monroe, US

I am thinking of buying a new eye cup piece to replace the one on the camera. I have a habit of putting my face tight to the viewfinder and find that I have pressed buttons on the back of the camera with my check. I thought this would stop that keeping my check further away from the back of the camera. Which one would work.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Eye cup for D7100
singlerosa Silver Member
10th Oct 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
11th Oct 2013
francine Silver Member
11th Oct 2013
dontait Silver Member
13th Oct 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
Stryker3006
13th Oct 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
francine Silver Member
14th Oct 2013

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberThu 10-Oct-13 09:57 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Louis, US

I use the Hoodman H-EYEN22S on my D7000 and D600. Only downside is that it blocks a small portion of the LCD. Here's a link:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1061

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 11-Oct-13 06:01 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

Francine,

Great minds think alike? I almost posted the very same question a couple of days ago, but instead I did a bit of internet research...

I almost went for the Hoodman, but I read about some problems with full viewfinder visibility and seeing the top of the LCD behind the big, oval eyecup.

Instead, I went for a solution that I think I first saw somewhere here on Nikonians a while ago. It involves 3 Nikon accessory parts:
•Nikon DK-22 eyepiece adapter for rectangular viewfinder mounts (D7100, D7000, D90 and many others)
•Nikon eyepiece for FM, FE &FA series (round eyepiece element that screws into back of adapter)
•Nikon DK-3 rubber eyecup (to fit on FM/FE/FA eyepiece)

The total cost is about $35 plus tax (if applicable) and shipping -- a bit more expensive than the Hoodman.

So far only the eyecup (from Adorama via Amazon) has arrived, but the other two pieces are on the way from B&H (eyecup was backordered there).

I'll let you know how it works....

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Fri 11-Oct-13 06:21 PM
846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Monroe, US

Thanks Dave I am very interested in your setup. Can you send a picture of it on your camera when you get it and tell me your thoughts.

dontait Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Aug 2012Sun 13-Oct-13 12:05 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Comox, CA

Francine,
I use the Hoodman that Jim spoke of but I used some scissors to trim the bottom a little so I could see the full LCD screen. I think it works great.

Don

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Mon 14-Oct-13 12:18 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Geneva, US

Hi, Francine--

All the pieces arrived on Saturday. I put the contraption together and shot with it a bit over the weekend. I think it is an improvement over the original flat eyepiece -- as a left-eye shooter who uses back-button focusing, I really appreciate the extra bit of distance between my thumb and my nose when focusing!

I took some quick iPhone pics for you. The first one shows the new eyepiece on the camera; the second is an attempt to show the extent to which it obscures the top of the LCD; the third shows the three pieces involved (from left to right, DK-22 adapter, FM/FE/FA eyepiece, and DK-3 rubber cup).

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Stryker3006 Registered since 27th Apr 2012Sun 13-Oct-13 07:13 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

Vote 1 for dk-3 eye cup. I brought both the hoodman and dk-3.
Hoodman partially blocks lcd and very hard to get full view through view finder. Dk-3 is a round eye cup and works brilliantly.

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberMon 14-Oct-13 02:08 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

St. Louis, US

Here's a shot of the Hoodman.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 14-Oct-13 04:20 PM
#8. "RE: Eye cup for D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Monroe, US

Looks good i am going to order it and check it out.
Thanks guys for the pictures. It helped

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30293 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.