Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30243
View in linear mode

Subject: "7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding" Previous topic | Next topic
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 04-Oct-13 08:09 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"

US

I learned something about my new 7100 today.

It has a terrible problem with "shadow banding." This is easily reproduced, and makes the camera's performance unacceptable. Nikon has once again screwed the loyal fanbois. I learned this by reading a couple different Internet forums. Of course, I haven't taken my camera out of the bag.

/sarcasm

Seriously, though: has anybody who actually takes pictures like a sane photographer noticed this problem?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding
km6xz Moderator
04th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
04th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
05th Oct 2013
jbloom Gold Member
05th Oct 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
08th Oct 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 04-Oct-13 10:55 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Oct-13 10:56 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

It has been demonstrated by boosting black portions of a frame 6+ stops and set off howls of it being unacceptable by the Canon trolls on DPR. But boosting 2 stops on their beloved Canon ruins the image entirely. The D7100 sensor is not as good in that respect as the D7000 or D800 but better than anything else...ever, from any company.

It is safe to take it out of the bag now;>)

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 04-Oct-13 11:07 PM
14430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Oct-13 11:08 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I'd go make some photographs with it. I suspect you'll be pleased.

BTW, try to avoid underexposing the image by six stops.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 05-Oct-13 02:31 AM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

>BTW, try to avoid underexposing the image by six stops.

Wait, you're not supposed to do that? Who knew?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 05-Oct-13 02:35 AM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I'd never describe myself as a "sane photographer." People who know me might speak up. But I'll say this. The shadow noise on my D7000 is clearly superior to that on my D7100 when I look at my night football shots. However, the D7000 shots are often out of focus whereas the D7100 shots seldom are. Given the choice, I'll take in-focus shots with a little more shadow noise rather than cleaner out-of-focus shots.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 05-Oct-13 02:30 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I still haven't shot any athletic events with the 7100. But it doesn't seem to do any better with dogs in AF modes (so far) than the 7000. I didn't expect it to, honestly - the ability to discern where one malamute stops and the next one starts in an overlapped moving pack is asking a bit too much.

I have not seen the shadow banding issue. I do see shadows fall off faster, which I can use to my benefit in composition.

The only strange issue I've seen, and I've seen it only once, was something that looked more like chroma noise on the outline of a dog's fur, shot at iSO 800, and underexposed by about 1.5 - 2 stops. I haven't tried to reproduce the behavior, so I'm not sure what it was.

I've been learning video. The 7100 is much better for video than the 7000, IMO.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 05-Oct-13 07:33 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 5

Maidenhead, GB

The D7100 files aren't quite as clean as the D7000's and there's a bit more colour noise, however the noise in general isn't unpleasant, more of a fine grain and the detail is held well. Pretty astounding for a 24MP APS-C sensor.

Now the D800 is something else entirely. Been living with mine for just over a week and it's still blowing my mind. Noise performance is a good stop ahead of the D7100 and the level of detail from those 36MP is astounding.

The two bodies compliment each other well though and the files have a similar look.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Tue 08-Oct-13 06:28 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 7100 Shooters: Shadow Banding"
In response to Reply # 5

Maidenhead, GB

The AF system is one area where the D7100 outperforms the D7000. From my experience, it's faster, more accurate and keeps on focusing in very low light where the D7000 gives up. This was more than enough reason for me to upgrade.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30243 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.