Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3022
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 question" Previous topic | Next topic
kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Thu 09-Dec-10 10:42 AM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 question"
Thu 09-Dec-10 02:13 PM by briantilley

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

From what I have read in some of the other posts about Photoshop and some of the other editing programs, if I change the picture controls to up my sharpening, contrast, more vivid and the such, even though the picture is taken with all the " new " settings I put in place and recorded on the card that way, they will appear in all editing programs except Nikon's to have been shot at the camera's factory default settings? Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 question
briantilley Moderator
09th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
09th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
bradbort Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
24th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
24th Dec 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 09-Dec-10 11:14 AM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 09-Dec-10 02:13 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

Not quite...

It is correct that all postprocessing software other than Nikon's own ignores all in-camera Picture Control settings apart from White Balance.

But... the software will have its own default settings for these things; it doesn't use the camera's defaults.

Note that the other thread was talking about shooting RAW. Just to be clear, all this applies only to NEF images, where the settings are saved alongside the image data in the NEF file and are read by View NX2 and Capture NX2. If you shoot in jpeg, the camera settings are "baked into" the image saved on the memory card, and any software should render the image the same.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 09-Dec-10 11:04 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Keith

Just to add to what Brian said, the default setting is for a Picture Control setting of Standard, which is a specific selection rather than an unedited RAW image. Standard also has a recipe that is interpreted by the various alternative software products.

I created a setting I called Neutral No Sharpening to get to a true neutral setting with no sharpening as even Neutral had sharpening set on 2 instead of 0.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Fri 24-Dec-10 01:39 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 2

Eau Claire, US

I'm sorry if the answer to this question has been posted elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I understand that the Picture Control settings in the D7000 are reflected on the images I see on my computer only if I shoot jpg or if I shoot RAW but use Nikon software for post processing.

My question is whether the Active-D settings are handled the same way - or if they will have an effect on RAW images post processed with non-Nikon software?

I have shot only RAW for years, and use Adobe CS5 for post processing. But, some of these advancements in in-camera adjusting are making me rethink shooting in RAW all the time, especially for basic family photos and situations where I take so many images that the post processing is a chore.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Fri 24-Dec-10 01:50 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 3

somerville, US

Active D lighting is treated the same way. Nikon software picks it up, all other software will ignore it, with the added disadvantage that the exposure will look weird.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 24-Dec-10 01:50 PM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

The Active D-lighting feature will usually (in most lighting conditions) reduce the metered exposure a little, then boost the mid-tones in-camera before the image is saved.

You'll always see the effect of the exposure reduction, whether you shoot JPG or NEF and whichever software you use. The mid-tone boost will only take effect if you shoot in JPG, or if you shoot in NEF and use Capture NX2 or View NX2.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Fri 24-Dec-10 02:31 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 5

Eau Claire, US

Thank you. That's really helpful to know.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 24-Dec-10 04:25 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

The change in exposure is why Active D-Lighting cannot be completely engineered in the software.

I don't use Active D-Lighting much, ut I do use it occasionally for high contrast situations. With a Nikon centric workflow it saves time. I still use the histogram and blinkies to guide my exposure.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3022 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.