Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30098
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 - working it out" Previous topic | Next topic
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Tue 24-Sep-13 12:59 AM
518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 - working it out"

US

So far the camera is behaving itself. And I am trying to test in different situations. So far so good, except for some stupid operator errors related to how the autofocus works.

What are your thoughts of picture below - it is 90% cropped. 300 f/4, tc14e, ISO 800, f9.1, 1/2500, some PP in LR4.

The plane was probably at maybe 2000 feet altitude - i was panning tripod - but not doing a very good job as the ball-head was moving a little more than i had liked....focus point was on tail...

At any rate, would anyone expect anything better or different?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 - working it out
JosephK Silver Member
24th Sep 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
JosephK Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
RLDubbya
25th Sep 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
Castlk
29th Sep 2013

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 24-Sep-13 08:22 PM
3733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 - working it out"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Exposure and focus seem good. You seem to have done OK with the panning since there is no motion blur. However, a much slower shutter speed would be nice so that you get some blur in the prop. Of course, the slower shutter speed will greatly test your panning technique.

A little bit of sharpening after the resize for the web might help.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Wed 25-Sep-13 04:34 PM
518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 - working it out"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Joseph - didn't think of prop motion...will try to sharpen a bit more.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 25-Sep-13 09:22 PM
3733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 - working it out"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

Prop blur is easy to forget. I spend much of my summers on the beach with Coast Guard choppers frequently going by. My first shot almost always has a frozen rotor. I then say a few colorful words and drop the shutter speed to 1/125 or so, which is not quite slow enough sometimes.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Wed 25-Sep-13 12:04 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 - working it out"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice shot, Rick. I have no suggestions on shooting technique, you're way beyond my meager skills.

I might try some more sharpening, balanced with noise reduction. I'd also play with clarity, contrast, etc - those sliders up near the top - and see if I could get the plane to "pop" out a little more aggressively from the background. Might not be possible, I've never tried to PP anything like this.

Again, nicely done.

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Wed 25-Sep-13 04:35 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 - working it out"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks - I have LR4 actually (it was cheap..;>)

As this was near 100% crop and the plane was prob 2K feet in air, i tried to sharpen/noise reduce best i can...will play some more...

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sun 29-Sep-13 01:17 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 - working it out"
In response to Reply # 4

Farmingville, US

Nice shot looks like everything is working as it should.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30098 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.