Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30057
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 focus reco for BIF" Previous topic | Next topic
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Sat 21-Sep-13 03:12 PM
518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 focus reco for BIF"
Sat 21-Sep-13 03:12 PM by s2sailorlis_nikon

US

This morning was looking for hawks/eagles.

Shot this in flight - i was using AF-C with 21 sensors, panned the shot and fired. Focus point per View NX2 was not on hawk, but just below the hawk where the tree and sky was located - just missing the hawk. (see small thumbnail pix below).

Appreciate any advice on better autofocus set up so I would have captured this better...

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 22-Sep-13 04:48 PM
3862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 focus reco for BIF"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

It might be difficult for the camera to pick the right focus point in a composition that's so loose. What I mean is that the BIF is well within the same potential focus plane as the tree and also very close to the tree as well. So I think in a composition like this, unless you manage to first lock focus on the BIF with tracking engaged before you press the shutter, the camera might not be able to figure out that it's mainly the BIF you want to capture.

I think this is an example, basically, of why so many birders invest in longer and longer lenses and develop all sorts of techniques to get closer and closer to their subjects as often as possible. The tighter you can get - with little else besides the BIF in the frame to distract the AF system - the sharper the photos you're going to get. IMO, anyway.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

mbarnes Registered since 04th Aug 2013Sun 22-Sep-13 06:55 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 focus reco for BIF"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

For the reasons stated it sometimes better to bracket your shot, or to take multiple exposures. BIF always work best against an uncluttered background.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30057 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.