Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29984
View in linear mode

Subject: "I've been unfaithful..." Previous topic | Next topic
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 17-Sep-13 02:10 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I've been unfaithful..."

US

Picked up a new 7100 over the weekend. Yes, that means another picture of a dog.

Initial thoughts: it's quite the refined 7000. Very informal tests show that I lose shadow detail before I do so with the 7000. I suspect the gain in AF performance will be worth it for strongman / lifting events. I'm glad I still have a 7000; I would have to think long and hard about being able to live with the 7100 as my only body.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I've been unfaithful...
km6xz Moderator
17th Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
17th Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
agitater Gold Member
22nd Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 17-Sep-13 02:28 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I've been unfaithful..."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Congratulations Bob, what a nice addition to the bag. I have no doubt the D7100 will help on the competition events but I also find the D7000 low ISO performance something special.
Nice shot, wide tone range handled well by the camera....and you.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 18-Sep-13 10:29 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I've been unfaithful..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Stan. Swore I wasn't going to do this, darned NAS.

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 17-Sep-13 03:03 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I've been unfaithful..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Bob, enjoy your new body. I just picked up a 7000 as my main body...still keeping the d200. Will be interested in your thoughts of comparing the two...although much has been discussed so far.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 18-Sep-13 10:32 PM
#4. "RE: I've been unfaithful..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Rick. I'm flattered - but will be sure to post as I have a chance to shoot more.

I have an important shoot planned for the last week of October that should prove to be a good test.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 22-Sep-13 02:13 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I've been unfaithful..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 22-Sep-13 02:16 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

Bob - Great shot of the dog.

I think you're going to eventually capture even more shadow detail with the D7100 than you're used to capturing with the D7000. That's been my experience anyway. I like your product description - "a refined D7000" - seems bang on.

I initially had problems with shadow detail too. Then I increased my shutter speeds for all shots - anywhere from 1-2 stops. As I suspected at the time, because I had been using too slow a shutter (I shoot handheld 99% of the time) a couple of pixels worth of blur had crept in compared to the same sorts of shots in the same situations when using a D700 or D7000. The higer res sensor in the D7100 demanded either a steadier camera position or a fast shutter for my type of shooting. Anyhow, getting rid of the additional pixels of blur by using a faster shutter seemed to help clean up shadow detail for me.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 22-Sep-13 11:55 PM
#6. "RE: I've been unfaithful..."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks Howard. I'll keep the increased shutter speed in mind, and give that a whirl.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29984 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.