Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29973
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)" Previous topic | Next topic
flipsix3 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2007Tue 17-Sep-13 07:52 AM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"

Leicester, GB

Hi folks, this may prove to be a very quick and easy question/solution, however I've not been able to find a solution following various searches of Nikonians or the wider web.

I've recently replaced my D200 with a D7000, which I'm liking a lot, however I'm having an issue with accessing the images on the SD cards (2x Integral Ultima Pro 32Gb Class 10) which are set up to record duplicate copies on each card, and have been formatted in-camera.

- I usually upload images via a USB multi-format card reader, which successfully accesses the CF cards from my D200. In addition my better half uses the same reader to import images from the SD card for her Coolpix. (This tells me that the card reader is fully functional)
- I can attach the D7000 to my PC via the USB connection, and access the images. (This tells me that the cards are working and capturing the images).
- When I stick the D7000 cards in my USB card reader the Data light illuminates, but the card is not visible in my list of 'drives'.
- When I stick the D7000 cards in the integrated SD slot on my work laptop they appear in the drive/device list, but I get an 'Access Denied' error. The cards are not 'locked' by way of the physical switch on the unit. If I try to right-click and do anything like error checking I get "...Windows cannot access the disk"

My first thought, after brief searches, was that there may be a setting on the camera that 'protects' the cards but I've been unable to confirm that anywhere.

Apologies, as I'm sure I'm missing something 'obvious', but this is frustrating me somewhat.

============================

My Nikonians Gallery. Alternative view of recent additions etc.

Dave and his D7000 - "Jus' killin' time... but it won't die"

Web Presence

A UK (Leicestershire) Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)
km6xz Moderator
17th Sep 2013
flipsix3 Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th Sep 2013
flipsix3 Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
flipsix3 Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
     Reply message Resolved
flipsix3 Silver Member
24th Sep 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 17-Sep-13 08:11 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Is your computer older so it can't access the high capacity SDHC cards. They have a different data structure than the SDSC cards that had lower capacity. There are 4 families of SD cards: Standard-Capacity (SDSC), the High-Capacity (SDHC), the eXtended-Capacity (SDXC), and the SDIO.
Try an old card, maybe a 2gig or smaller to see if that is it. If so, you need to upgrade the reader or driver software.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

flipsix3 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2007Tue 17-Sep-13 09:00 AM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"
In response to Reply # 1

Leicester, GB

Thanks for the suggestion Stan, but I think (hope) that's not the solution. My desktop machine at home is a very recent build, no more than 12 months old and running Win7 64bit.

My work laptop, which does show the card (but cannot access it) is also Win7 and, I believe, 64bit but we have restricted access to certain functions so I can't check easily. This machine is no more than 12-18 months old also

My partner's laptop is Win7 32bit, but I haven't had the chance to try my card on her machine to see whether that works OK - will be able to later in the week, but I'm not confident that we'll get a different result there.

Web Presence

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 17-Sep-13 10:18 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dave,

I have had similar problems when using my older Sandisk and Lexar High Speed Card Readers with my Lexar 1000X CF cards. They work perfectly when I put them in the latest Lexar USB 3.0 High Speed Card Reader regardless of the Computer I have it connected to.

Best Regards,
Marty

flipsix3 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2007Tue 17-Sep-13 10:28 AM
#4. "RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"
In response to Reply # 3

Leicester, GB

Hi Marty, I was just starting to wonder whether it might be a reader thing - my external reader that I use is several years old, and I'm trying to investigate whether the integrated SD slot on my laptop is indeed SDHC compatible or not.

Looks like that's the way to go in terms of first checks (external readers aren't particularly expensive, I guess).

Apologies Stan, if that's the same thing that you were driving at. Will pick up a new reader as soon as I'm able, and see if that resolves the issue.

Web Presence

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 17-Sep-13 12:12 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

It might be a combination of things. You could have a card reader issue and a software driver issue. The card reader issue has been discussed so I won't spend time there. New card readers are not expensive so you might investigate that first.

I noticed that you are using LR3 and CS 3. Neither supports an Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) version that understands the D7000 RAW files (if you are shooting RAW). That may be the issue when you put the card in the laptop slot. You should be able to read the files with the copy of View NX2 that was provided with your D7000 or you can go to the Nikon site and download View NX2. If you export your file out of View NX2 in a TIFF format, you should be able to import it in to LR 3 and CS 3. If not, you may need to upgrade your Adobe software.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

flipsix3 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2007Tue 17-Sep-13 12:22 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 - Accessing images on SD card(s)"
In response to Reply # 5

Leicester, GB

Only working with JPG (so far) for that very reason, but do have that in the back of my mind for future reference if I revert to RAW.

Hoping to pick up a newer card reader either today/tomorrow, so should be able to check out that avenue pretty quickly.

Web Presence

flipsix3 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2007Tue 24-Sep-13 03:18 PM
#7. "Resolved"
In response to Reply # 6

Leicester, GB

Thanks all for the input, just to confirm that issue was the age of my external card reader. New reader bought, SDHC compatible, and everything working fine.

Work laptop was somewhat misleading as it is SDHC compatible, and saw the card, but I forgot to factor in that the company block access to external portable data sources for system protection purposes.

Web Presence

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29973 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.