Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29948
View in linear mode

Subject: "Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..." Previous topic | Next topic
GarfLeonard Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2013Sat 14-Sep-13 11:41 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."

Evanston, IL, US

That is, body, SDHC cards, spare battery, and upgrade to Light Room 5.

The upgrade to LightRoom is what bothered me the most, why can't they simply update Camera Raw for the older versions? Oh well, going from LR 3.6 to the latest, it is about time.

Now I suppose they want me to upgrade to CS 6 from CS 5..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US...
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
15th Sep 2013
ultinikon
21st Feb 2014
quenton8 Silver Member
21st Feb 2014
Omaha
22nd Feb 2014
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Feb 2014
goodguy
16th Sep 2013
hijazist Silver Member
23rd Feb 2014
Steve6344 Silver Member
17th Sep 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 15-Sep-13 12:19 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

>
>Now I suppose they want me to upgrade to CS 6 from CS 5..

Yes. Camera raw 7.4 and later supports the D7100 but it needs CS6.

Len

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 15-Sep-13 12:41 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

>Now I suppose they want me to upgrade to CS 6 from CS 5..

No, what they want you to do is sign up for Creative Cloud and pay them a monthly fee. The good news, though, is that you'll get both LR and PS upgraded.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

ultinikon Registered since 17th Feb 2014Fri 21-Feb-14 11:27 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

>>Now I suppose they want me to upgrade to CS 6 from CS
>5..
>
>No, what they want you to do is sign up for Creative Cloud and
>pay them a monthly fee. The good news, though, is that you'll
>get both LR and PS upgraded.
>

Is Creative Cloud (subscription model) the way to go? Or to purchase LR5 standalone, with its perpetual license?

In other words, is having access to PS (and the rest of Adobe's product suite) worth the expense of signing up for a monthly (or annual) fee?

I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of useful image manipulation features I would gain that don't come with LR5.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 21-Feb-14 11:33 PM
1158 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

Paid $999 for my 7100 body, so be a bit careful.

Watch that the extra battery is in fact a NIKON battery, and the SD cards should be UHC-1 to get the max speed out of the 7100, and 16GB minimum.

An upgrade to LR5 is $80, so
1000 + 65 + 40 + 80
body + battery + SDHCcards + LR5 = 1185

Personally I would avoid the packages and price the body, then you can compare prices.

----
Dennis Smith.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 22-Feb-14 12:57 AM
463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

Personally, I am a heavy user of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Bridge, so CC was a no-brainer for me, particularly since in my work it is essential to always have the latest versions (nothing worse than asking a client who upgraded before you to back-save a file so you can open it).

If I was only using Lightroom, I probably wouldn't bother. JMHO.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Feb-14 12:25 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 5

Wethersfield, US

>Is Creative Cloud (subscription model) the way to go? Or to
>purchase LR5 standalone, with its perpetual license?
>
>In other words, is having access to PS (and the rest of
>Adobe's product suite) worth the expense of signing up for a
>monthly (or annual) fee?
>
>I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of useful image
>manipulation features I would gain that don't come with LR5.

Having PS is good if you want to use it for:

• HDR
  • Panorama
  • Complex pixel-by-pixel editing
  • Compositing (making one image from several by overlaying them and/or arranging them, and/or drawing lines, text, etc on them)
  • Applying various filter effects beyond what LR does

Whether the cost of CC is worth it depends on whether those kinds of capabilities are important to you.

As for the rest of Abobe's product suite, they tend to be focused on particular graphic-arts uses (print or electronic design and publishing, illustration, etc). If you aren't doing that kind of work, I'm not sure it makes much sense to get the full subscription rather than the LR/PS bundle.

If you want to discuss this more, it would probably be best to open a topic in the Adobe postprocessing forum.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Mon 16-Sep-13 04:54 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Got my D7100 body only for 1050$ so I am not sure if this is such an amazing deal.

hijazist Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Sun 23-Feb-14 09:54 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 3

Houston, US

+1, I got mine when it was a deal on Amazon for $899.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 17-Sep-13 01:45 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Great price on D7100 body only for just $1370 US..."
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

Lightroom 5 has new features and improvements over Lightroom 4.
http://tv.adobe.com/show/whats-new-in-lightroom-5

--I don't work for Adobe

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29948 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.