Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29921
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting" Previous topic | Next topic
goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Fri 13-Sep-13 02:04 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"

CA

With all the positive stuff we hear about the D7100 one complaint keeps popping and that's the camera performance in burst mode.
Well for those who own the camera or buy this camera expecting it to be a sport camera they will be disappointed as the buffer of the camera isn't too big but I tested my camera and found a very simple way to get a lot more then the rated 6 pics burst in RAW and then hit the buffer limit.

We all know about the 1.3 crop option and that it will bump the camera speed from 6 to 7 FPS and to my surprise I found another advantage to this function.
If you set camera to Fine JPEG in 1.3 crop not only I get the 7 PFS burst but I got a MUCH longer burst from 6 pics in regular RAW DX mode to 19-22 pictures, the buffer also cleared much faster.

So this camera is still not a sport animal but for those who need a longer burst then the rated 6 FPS and are willing for this occasion not to shoot in RAW you are getting quite the machine.
To be honest I don't shoot sports so I don't need all this but for those who do I hope this info will be helpful.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting
jbloom Gold Member
13th Sep 2013
km6xz Moderator
16th Sep 2013
donaldjledet Silver Member
16th Sep 2013
unclemikey Platinum Member
16th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
16th Sep 2013
unclemikey Platinum Member
17th Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
16th Sep 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
km6xz Moderator
17th Sep 2013
goodguy
17th Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
torwood Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
torwood Silver Member
20th Sep 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 13-Sep-13 02:36 PM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 13-Sep-13 03:34 PM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

It's true that the 1.3 crop mode allows many more images in the buffer. See p. 348 of the (En) manual.

However, I find the buffer plenty adequate for sports shooting as it is. Using SanDisk 95 MB/s cards, I'll get 11-12 RAW shots (12-bit compressed) before the buffer fills, then the rate drops to about 3 frames/sec. So I can do nearly a 2-second burst at 6 fps, then continue at 3 fps. And when I stop, the buffer clears in under 2 seconds. Frankly, there is limited utility in sports shooting for longer bursts, in my experience.

I'm loving the D7100 as a sports body.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 16-Sep-13 12:17 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

Considering that my only real sports shooting was with a A1 Canon full manual focus single frame film camera 30+ years ago I always wondered about why not having 10 burst capability was a deal breaker. For those who need long continuous series should be using video. Or learn the sport well enough to be able to anticipate action. I was shooting cutting house competition but knew the horses very well so there were few missed peak moments. Video really does offer the best option for those with a casual connection to the sport they are shooting
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Mon 16-Sep-13 01:37 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 2

Gretna, US

I agree if you really know your sport the d7100 will get the job done.
I use mine all the time for horse racing grandsons ball game and so on.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 16-Sep-13 08:48 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 3

Henrico, US

>
>
>I agree if you really know your sport the d7100 will get the
>job done.
>I use mine all the time for horse racing grandsons ball game
>and so on.

I agree with this. I don't know anything about baseball and having 100 burst speed would not have made a difference. I was shooting raw with a 32GB SD at 95 read/write and got 7 shots per burst. Didn't matter, not knowing the game or what to expect I would start shooting at the wrong time and miss the actual action. Now if this game was poker, I would know exactly what to do.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 16-Sep-13 09:30 PM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 5

Wethersfield, US

I don't think poker "action" is quite the same as sports "action." Just as exciting, though, especially if it's your money in the pot!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Tue 17-Sep-13 05:25 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 6

Henrico, US

>I don't think poker "action" is quite the same as
>sports "action." Just as exciting, though,
>especially if it's your money in the pot!
>

Jon, you may be right but some of the facial expressions are worth the effort.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 16-Sep-13 08:15 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The rub lies in the unexepected.

Example: I've shot many strongman contests, nearly every one has some variant of an atlas stone event. Yawn, big guy picks up a 300-400lb round rock either for reps in 60 seconds, or has to walk with it, place it on a platform.

I know exactly when to shoot and use my buffer.

Until the athlete does something different, like struggles to get the stone loaded, passes out cold, and the stone comes down on top of him, and my buffer is empty.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 17-Sep-13 01:37 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 17-Sep-13 01:40 PM by luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US

I'm always amused when people buy something and then get upset because they can't make it exceed its stated specifications and capabilities.

I learned my lesson a long time ago. No longer do I buy shoes for driving nails, use a butter knife as a screw driver or more recently, question why my six-shot revolver can't fire 20 rounds bursts without reloading.

It's way more productive to focus on and utilize what the camera can do than on what it can't.

Nice tip on the 1.3 crop trick. Thanks

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 17-Sep-13 02:19 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

When in the 60 seconds would be appropriate to start a burst, at the beginning? 24mb files suddenly filling up the memory with 420 frames and 10 gigabytes...per contestant..sure seems like the answer is video 4k unless printing large. In the case of needing to print large, the shooter who is very very familiar with the contestants, and can anticipate if he is going to collapse for example based on signs out of place, gets the shot.
I used to shoot cutters, because I wanted images of the competition. I had 3 competitive horses, 2 of which were campaigned nationally. So when seeing one of the main competing horses and rider, or even its offspring, visual cues told me if a "surprize" was a jump to the left. One, stallion out of Doc Bar had a quirk of dipping his head at an angle just before jumping to his weak side. Apparently he was thinking about the move that was more difficult for him. His right side dominance was fluid, smooth and harder to predict.
I might have been the only person to know it, the cows sure did not know but I nailed about every right side dramatic leap with a full manual film camera and not motordrive.
NFL shooters make it their business to know every trait they can detect on every running back was well as the defensive coordinators does. Heck, why would he be hired unless he could to that? Anyone can take a photo, many would pay big money for the right. There is a reason top sports photogs are considered top photogs. They would have no valued-added to the service if anyone could do it. Sure, they will tell hobbyists about their cameras or lenses but he is not going to tell you the secrets he has discovered that help him get the money shots. Someone with the hot camera is not competition, someone with the knowledge of the game and players is.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Tue 17-Sep-13 11:16 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Whoooo, with all these talks about sports shooting I am glad I am not into this type of photography, actually I never put my camera in burst mode, I like to think long and hard before I press the shutter release button producing a single picture.
I think its great the D7100 has the capability to supply the goods for the occasional sport shooter but for me I will stick to regular single shot photography

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 18-Sep-13 12:12 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I think it's a question of degree, and of a "safety reserve".

I agree with you: the difference between a photographer who knows the sport and a photographer who doesn't will quickly become apparent in the number of photos taken. At one comp this summer, the stone over bar was held in dim light, under a large viaduct.

I setup with a speedlight, a snoot, and a diffuser. I took 2-3 shots of each lift for each competitor. The best shots come when the stone is balanced on the athlete's lap, and athlete just starts to drive upward, and again when the athlete fully extends the thoracic spine to drive the stone higher. Those are the moments of zen, when the athlete is at peace with the rock and the world.

The photographer next to me didn't know that. He shot 10-20 pictures for each one I took.

In between my good shots, I got some nice candids of other athletes.

Put me at a poker game, a baseball, or an equestrian event, and you'll hear my camera in burst mode.

But there are suprises: a couple years ago, I was shooting a loading event. Average time to complete this event had been something like 50 seconds, for about 20 athletes. I got lazy, I guess.

One athlete got up, and ran the entire event in 13 seconds. I pretty much didn't get any good pictures of him.

Am I willing to pay for a D4 to get that safety reserve? Heck no. There's no money in strongman. The 7000/7100 will be just fine.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Wed 18-Sep-13 01:50 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 11

Jefferson Hills, US

A six frame burst is more than adequate for any sport. If you need a longer burst than that, you have very little idea what you are shooting, and are relying on luck.

I shoot jpeg, so my D7000 never has a buffer issue. But, I still almost never have a burst longer than 5 seconds.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Fri 20-Sep-13 02:12 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Ways to set your D7100 for sports shooting"
In response to Reply # 12

Jefferson Hills, US

Oops. I meant to say 5 SHOTS. A five second burst would bust the buffer, indeed.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29921 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.