Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29899
View in linear mode

Subject: "D 7100 Card Error" Previous topic | Next topic
MrBell Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2012Thu 12-Sep-13 04:17 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D 7100 Card Error"

US

Good Morning,
Hope someone can help. I have a brand new D 7100 that reads my high speed San Disk cards perfectly. However, when I attempt to use my Transcend 32 GB Cards the camera gives me an ERROR message. BTW, the cards work perfectly in my D 7000 and all of my other cameras.
Would appreciate your comments if you have had the same experience with the D 7100.
My thanks for your help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D 7100 Card Error
Sixmileman
12th Sep 2013
factotum
12th Sep 2013
Sixmileman
12th Sep 2013
Sixmileman
12th Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
Sixmileman
12th Sep 2013
MrBell Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
13th Sep 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
13th Sep 2013
kstrongs
13th Sep 2013
Sixmileman
13th Sep 2013

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Thu 12-Sep-13 04:47 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't believe that Transcend Cards are approved by Nikon for use in the D7100. Check the Nikon website.

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Thu 12-Sep-13 05:27 PM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Approved? I have been using "unapproved" cards in all my Nikons since the D70. In fact, the only card I had that couldn't be used was too large capacity for the camera to read.

Now, try a different card. I'm betting something in the camera has failed.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Thu 12-Sep-13 06:08 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Call me crazy if you wish, but it is certainly curious that the camera works fine with an "approved" card and doesn't with one that isn't.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Thu 12-Sep-13 05:19 PM
#2. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Also see User's Manual page 347.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 12-Sep-13 06:36 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Severe lag time in buffer writes were first noted with the D7000 and Transcend cards. There was a sticky posted about that, with times, but my experience (which was typical) was pretty awful: fill the buffer, and with a Transcend card, it would take 35+ seconds to empty.

With a SanDisk card, it's more like 10 seconds.

That thread is probably referenced in the "Resource Thread" at the top of the page.

Given that the 7100 is moving significantly more data through the bus, it doesn't surprise me that the Transcend cards just don't work.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Thu 12-Sep-13 07:38 PM
#6. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Agreed. And as several others have suggested (and I know from my own experience with the D7100), the SanDisk Extreme Pro with a reported write speed of 95 MB/s is the card to use to clear the buffer as quickly as possible.

MrBell Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2012Thu 12-Sep-13 07:44 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I thank all of you for your comments. It would appear that the issue is simply that the D 7100 is "Card Sensitive". The good news is that the camera is working as it should with the right cards. The shame is that I can't use all of my cards with it. Thanks again for your helpful comments.
MB

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Fri 13-Sep-13 06:47 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 7

Polegate, GB

I use a 64 Gig Transcend SDXC card in my D7100 without a problem. Before the D7100, I used the same card in a D5100, also without any problems. When I made the change from D5100 to D7100, the first thing I did after charging the battery was to re-format the card. I'm wondering if that might be the problem? I have considered changing the card to a San Disk, but as everything is working as it should, what the heck!

Very best wishes to all on here,

Dave

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Fri 13-Sep-13 01:13 PM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 8

Netanya, IL

My experience is identical to Dave's.

Did the OP start by formatting the card in the 7100?

Nathan

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Fri 13-Sep-13 02:26 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 9

St. Thomas, CA

I agree with the others here. You have to fomat the card in the camera you are using it in. Photos taken with the D7100 show blank in a D7000 and vice versa.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 13-Sep-13 03:10 PM
#11. "RE: D 7100 Card Error"
In response to Reply # 10

US

If you go to the Playback Menu, Playback Folder, and select "All", images taken with another camera will be displayed. I took an image with my D90 and then inserted the card in my D7100 and got "Folder Contains No Images," but by making the change described in sentence 1, I was able to see the D90 image. Found this info on Page 162 of the D90 manual. It's probably somewhere in the D7100 manual also (I'm too lazy to rummage through the larger D7100 manual looking for this info), although I didn't try the reverse because the D7100 card is too large for the D90.

Note that once an image is taken after the "all" setting has been applied, the D7100 will revert to its folder such that in order to see images taken on a card in another camera, you will need to make the change to the playback folder all over again.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29899 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.