Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29852
View in linear mode

Subject: "Number of focus points?" Previous topic | Next topic
jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 09-Sep-13 09:56 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Number of focus points?"

Roswell, GE

I must be doing something wrong. Brand new d7100 user, less than I week.

Here's the story. First I'm visually impaired, very hard for me to see the viewfinder data. I have to rely mostly on the back Info display.

I have tried two settings in the Custom settings for # of focus points, the 51 and I think it's 11.

Also when changing the focus mode with the focus button and dials.

All I ever get on the back info display are

Toggle between AFA AFS AFC ok that's good
Toggle between All 51 points AUTO and 1 center spot.

There should be a total of 6 point modes I just get the two.

So I must be doing something wrong. Any idea what?

Thanks

-JD-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Number of focus points?
jbloom Gold Member
09th Sep 2013
jdenning Silver Member
09th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Sep 2013
jdenning Silver Member
10th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
11th Sep 2013
jdenning Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
JosephK Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
jdenning Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
JosephK Silver Member
12th Sep 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 09-Sep-13 11:57 AM
6048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

AUTO and single-point modes are the only ones available if set to AF-S. If in AF-C or AF-A, the dynamic-area options and 3D should become available.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 09-Sep-13 12:59 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 1

Roswell, GE

Well that explains it. I missed that in all the reading I've done in the last few days. But thinking about it, it makes sense.

So if I have it set to ONE, and I see it show just one on the color display. Why do I see a screen full of red in the viewfinder. I can't see the points in the VF, it's just a red cast that comes up for a moment.

I used to have a d40x. That had three points. I could see those and see when I'd select each. Of course they were larger. But with these I just see a red light that comes on, not individual points.

I've enabled the showing of the focus points in the image review. That auto does a darn good job, much of the time. But then there are some that are not where I'd put the focus.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 09-Sep-13 04:06 PM
6048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

I suspect the red cast you are seeing in the VF may have something to do with your visual impairment since that doesn't describe what I see in the VF. (It's also possible that your VF is defective.) When you change the AF point or half-press the shutter button, there is a brief red illumination of the selected focus point(s) and, if enabled, viewfinder grid lines. If this is troublesome for you, you can turn it off via CSM item a4. Then the focus points will always be the small black rectangles.

You are right that the focus points are smaller than the ones on your D40x. After all, there are 51 of them!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 10-Sep-13 06:56 PM
#4. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 3

Roswell, GE

Sorry, I wasn't clear. yes the red I see is the focus points. I can't see each point so they just mesh into a light red cast. Just trying to understand what exactly I'm seeing.

So if I have the AF set to 51point auto, then ALL points illuminate? Where if I have it set to one point I should see just the one illuminate? And I should be able to move that one around, right?

Just trying to make sense out of what I can see in the vf. I'm learning to love Live Vie

Thanks

-JD-

Anyone in Atlanta GA, specifically Roswell, drop me a line.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 11-Sep-13 04:55 PM
#5. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

Sorry, now I'm the one who wasn't being clear.

When you half-press the shutter button, in any AF-area mode except AUTO, the display just keeps showing the selected focus point. In AUTO AF-area mode, the display will briefly show the focus points where the subject is (as decided by the camera), then show the single point that is the one chosen by the camera as the one to use.

In the 3D and AUTO AF-area modes, the displayed focus point will change as the camera tracks the subject. That's not true of the other AF-area modes.

In every mode except AUTO, you can move the selected point around. (In 3D mode, it's just a starting point as the camera will shift points to track the subject.)

One other note... if you hold down the AF button, the viewfinder display changes to show the focus points that will be used (in 9-, 21- or 51-point dynamic modes) or it will form a "3D" symbol in 3D mode or an ellipse in AUTO mode.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 12-Sep-13 12:21 AM
#6. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 5

Roswell, GE

OK, darn, kinda. I just can't see that Bums me a bit because I like control, I hate auto. But looks like I'm stuck with the auto AF or single point in the center.

Thanks so much for you help.

-JD-
John Denning
Roswell, GA

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 12-Sep-13 01:06 AM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 6

Seattle, WA, US

The single point is not limited to the center -- you can pick other locations -- but the center is often the easiest one to use.

One of the reasons that the dynamic mode (9, 21, 51) only shows the one point in the center of your group is that this is the one point that you are supposed to keep on your subject to help the camera know which object is your moving subject. The bigger the group you choose, the less accurate you can be, subject to the guesses by the camera.

One of the other reasons to show only the one point is that showing all of them would clutter up the display, which is assumed (rightly or wrongly) to be undesirable in most situations.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 12-Sep-13 09:51 AM
#8. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 7

Roswell, GE

Thanks Joseph, I get that. The issue is, I'm visually impaired, I can't see the individual points at all. Trying to figure out how best to work.

On my former d40x the points, 3 of em, were large, I could see them in most conditions. But on the 7100, nope, not at all.

-JD-
John Denning
Roswell, GA

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 12-Sep-13 10:51 AM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Number of focus points?"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, WA, US

That was one of the big changes I noticed in going from the D200 to the D700.

Check the illumination setting A4 to see if that helps.

Does the diopter adjustment help any?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29852 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.