Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29807
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 football" Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 01:09 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 football"

Wethersfield, US

I had my first chance yesterday to use my D7100 for high-school football. I'm very happy with the results. The autofocus system on the D7100 is way better than on my D7000. It may be better than the one on my D3, or if not better, it's at least as good.

I shot most of the game with my D3 and 400/2.8, but I had the D7100 by my side for when the action got closer.

Here are some images. Images 3 and 4 were taken with an AF-S 18-70, others were with a 70-200 f/2.8. (EXIF is intact.) Images 3-7 were with an SB-800 speedlight.

1. Kicker, during warm-ups.

2. Receiver drill.

3. Captains approaching midfield for the coin toss.

6. Touchdown

7. Coach of the white team. (Can you tell from his expression which team won?)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 football
Seragone Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
07th Sep 2013
billD80 Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
07th Sep 2013
billD80 Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
07th Sep 2013
bwoodahl
07th Sep 2013
torwood Silver Member
08th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Sep 2013
kuzzy Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
beemerman2k Silver Member
12th Jan 2014
tommiejeep Silver Member
13th Sep 2013
hijazist Silver Member
14th Jan 2014

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sat 07-Sep-13 01:28 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 0

Reston, US

Thanks for sharing. What focusing and exposure settings did you use on the d7100.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 01:35 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

Focus: AF-C, 9-point dynamic, with the center point selected.

Exposure: Mode A for daylight shots, mode M for flash shots. TTL flash. Matrix metering, applying +/- 0.33 or 0.7 EV as needed.

Quality: JPEG large, fine

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 07-Sep-13 04:28 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 07-Sep-13 04:29 PM by billD80

US

>Focus: AF-C, 9-point dynamic, with the center point
>selected.
>
>Exposure: Mode A for daylight shots, mode M for flash shots.
>TTL flash. Matrix metering, applying +/- 0.33 or 0.7 EV as
>needed.
>
>Quality: JPEG large, fine
>

Wonderfully crisp images!

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 05:03 PM
#5. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

Thanks, Bill. Your remark induces me to expand a bit on the IQ I'm getting. Here is the full frame for one of the above shots:

And here is a 100% crop of the part of the image that is the tackler's head, just as it came out of the camera. Note the detail in the helmet and face and in the jersey of the runner being tackled.

I know I'm gushing a bit, but the ability of the D7100 to acquire and maintain focus on moving subjects in poor light (typical high-school field lighting) just amazes me.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 07-Sep-13 05:47 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Thanks, Bill. Your remark induces me to expand a bit on the
>IQ I'm getting.

Gush away! What was the ISO on the one with the 100% image of tackler's head? There's zero discernible noise...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 05:52 PM
#7. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

ISO 400, which is what I typically use when shooting football with flash: ISO 400, f/4 and x-sync (1/250) is my starting point, with adjustments depending on the field lighting.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

bwoodahl Registered since 10th Jun 2013Sat 07-Sep-13 04:59 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Pictures are fantastic! D7100 + 70-200 f/2.8: insanely good combo!

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Sun 08-Sep-13 09:26 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 4

Jefferson Hills, US

You are convincing me to trade my D7000 for a D7100 for basketball this year. If I trade my D7000, plus my D90, plus my old 85 f1.8D (I have the newer AFS version, now), I can pretty much get the D7100 for a straight-up trade or a few hundred bucks.

The AF lock-on and tracking on the D7000 for basketball (while much better than my D90) is that camera's only weak link.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 09-Sep-13 11:46 AM
#9. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 8

Wethersfield, US

That's my assessment of the D7000, too. It's an outstanding camera. For anyone shooting stills who doesn't need low-light tracking of fast-moving subjects, there is no reason to upgrade from the D7000 to the D7100. I still have mine and have no plans to get rid of it, even though I have the D7100 now. (I'll be using the D7000 as a remote camera for sports.)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 12-Sep-13 11:52 PM
1235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 9

Milford, US

I gotta agree with you two about the D7000 focus speed especially in low light. Glad to here that you are liking the D7100 so much Jon. I do not shoot 1/10th the sports I was doing otherwise I would definitely look to upgrade mine. Without the sports component I will save myself a few bucks and wait awhile before I upgrade again.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 12-Jan-14 09:52 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 9

Ellington, US

When I bought my refurbished Nikon D7100, I posted an ad on Craigslist for my D7000. After about a week, I pulled the ad. I'm keeping the D7K. Wonderful camera, too good to let go of.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Fri 13-Sep-13 01:12 PM
4326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 0

Goa, IN

These are very good but then so are you . Thanks for putting all of them up. I shot a few D7100 Monsoon soccer in the rain but at high iso so looking forward to the non-Monsoon.
Ps thanks for the flash info
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

hijazist Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Tue 14-Jan-14 07:58 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7100 football"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

These are so nice Jon! Thanks for sharing the settings as well

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29807 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.