Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29730
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noob - should I retrofit old lens's" Previous topic | Next topic
LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 12:08 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"

Sammamish, US

I've been out of it for 40 years (some would say I'm still out of it) - and wondering if it would be worth it to retrofit some old gear to go on my new D7100?? Specifically I'm wondering about my 74 vintage Nikon bellows and reversing ring.

I haven't seen anything about mounting the lens backward on a bellows but remember doing it for great macro shots back then.

Thanks
Les

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's
cosmicfires Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
LeslieTroyer Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
RazorAndy Silver Member
06th Sep 2013
f11 Gold Member
06th Sep 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Sep 2013
LeslieTroyer Silver Member
06th Sep 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Sep 2013

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Thu 05-Sep-13 12:15 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

I use my PB-4 bellows and 55mm f3.5 AI micro Nikkor on my D7000. Auto focus isn't very useful for macro. AI lenses have Aperature auto exposure and auto flash exposure on a D7000 or D7100.

Non AI lenses will not mount on digital cameras without causing damage, be careful.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

my website

LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 03:21 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 1

Sammamish, US

Yes, I know I can not use the old stuff as is without damaging the 7100. I thought there was planning on sending the bellows to be re-worked to be compatible, and was wondering if it is worth it.

Les

RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Fri 06-Sep-13 02:24 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yep,be careful about the non-AI lenses because they can bend/break the tab on aperture ring of the f-mount.

I had picked up some non-AI lenses and had a couple converted to AI by www.aiconversions.net

Very pleased with the results. I think if you search around, there is common theme of happy people with their work as well.

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Fri 06-Sep-13 02:18 PM
767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 3

Tulsa, US

Link should be http://www.aiconversions.com/

I have used John White's service with excellent results.

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 06-Sep-13 02:06 PM
2887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Yes, I know I can not use the old stuff as is without
>damaging the 7100. I thought there was planning on sending
>the bellows to be re-worked to be compatible, and was
>wondering if it is worth it.
>
>Les

None of Nikon's bellows will damage your D7100. It does not have the longer tube around the mount like non-AI lenses. If you have the original model II or the III you will have to insert a short extension tube between the bellows and the body to clear the hand grip while mounting. Just make sure the tube is AI compatible.

Old lenses from 1974 are a different story. They need to be reworked to clear the AI lever around the body lens mount.

Len

LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Fri 06-Sep-13 02:31 PM
#6. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 4

Sammamish, US

Thanks all - John White's conversion service is the one I found. It's good to know my PB4 will fit without damage or modification. I'll probaby only use the non-AI lens's backwards on bellows - so no need to mod that one.

Now I just need to find where I put all that old gear.

Les

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 06-Sep-13 03:30 PM
2887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Noob - should I retrofit old lens's"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 06-Sep-13 03:42 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

To mount the PB4, put the bellows in portrait orientation when mounting so you don't hit the grip. After mounting you can then swing the bellows to landscape mode with no problem. You won't need an extension tube.

On a pro body like the D3 you need an extension tube no matter the orientation otherwise the back locking knob on the bellows hits the battery chamber on the body.

You can also use all your non-AI lenses on the PB4 in the normal way. All Nikon's bellows have a non-AI mount so there's nothing to break

Len

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29730 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.