Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29723
View in linear mode

Subject: "Handshake problem" Previous topic | Next topic
hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Wed 04-Sep-13 08:41 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Handshake problem"

GB

I have a Tamron 70-300mm Di f4.5-5.6 without image stabilisation. When shooting at 300mm, I have to crank up to high shutter speeds such as 1/2000 which implies my ISO will have to set at 800 or above, with f/8 for improve sharpness and reduced chromatic aberation.

If I shoot at some low shutter speeds, say between 1/400 and 1/800, I hopeless get hand shake effects.

I guess shooting at 300mm requires a tripod.

The lens do not have brilliant sharpness too.

I would not recommend it for anyone.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Handshake problem
briantilley Moderator
04th Sep 2013
hyphotographer
05th Sep 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Sep 2013
hyphotographer
08th Sep 2013
jdenning Silver Member
08th Sep 2013
ericbowles Moderator
04th Sep 2013
hyphotographer
05th Sep 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
06th Sep 2013
golfercat Silver Member
08th Sep 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 04-Sep-13 08:58 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the lens - it's not a top-quality optic but it can produce some decent results in the right conditions.

Why not check out this article on hand-holding technique?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 05-Sep-13 09:39 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

The article mentioned the choice of shutter speed reciprocal to the focal length, however, what is the formula for APS-C sensor? No wonder some shots are blur at low shutter speeds, for example, I chose 1/320th sec for 300mm.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 06-Sep-13 02:23 PM
2694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>The article mentioned the choice of shutter speed reciprocal
>to the focal length, however, what is the formula for APS-C
>sensor? No wonder some shots are blur at low shutter speeds,
>for example, I chose 1/320th sec for 300mm.

The formula normally used to handhold lenses on APS-C bodies is 1/1.5xFL. So for a 300mm lens that's 1/450 sec. 1/600 sec should not be a problem unless you have a very bad technique like stabbing at the shutter button when taking the shot.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sun 08-Sep-13 03:46 PM
#7. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Great to know the formula 1/1.5FL. At high ISO, noise dots are present too. Sometimes, it is more important to get great shots rather than no shot!

I don't mind it now because there are not going to Alamy stockphotos.

jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 08-Sep-13 06:47 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Roswell, GE

>The article mentioned the choice of shutter speed reciprocal
>to the focal length, however, what is the formula for APS-C
>sensor? No wonder some shots are blur at low shutter speeds,
>for example, I chose 1/320th sec for 300mm.

My thought is the best way to answer the question of "What shutter speed is the best?" is to do some test shots.

Put it in S mode, start at say 1/300th then go up from there. Then compare the shots and you choose what is the optimum shutter speed for that lens and you.

I know I have a tremor in my right hand that comes into play from time to time. I didn't have that when I was young. So now I can't just use what may work for someone else. It's rather frustrating.

Glad I used to shoot with a View Camera. I like tripod

-JD-

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 04-Sep-13 09:13 PM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Also keep in mind the high resolution of the D7100 and D7000 will reveal any deficiency if you view the image at 100%.

There is no reason why you should not be able to get sharp images at 1/800 sec. without a tripod.

Brians's link to the article on technique is a good starting point. High ISO and low light can are often associated with low contrast situations - an issue of light rather than the camera or lens. With low contrast its tough to have enough detail to see extreme sharpness.

The Tamron 70-300 should be fine, but at 300mm you are at an extreme focal length. Try it at 250mm and f/8 at 1/500 to 1/800 sec.

VR or IS don't tend to do much beyond 1/500 sec. The technology works based on cycles. The cycles are at 1/1000 sec and you need two cycles for VR.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 05-Sep-13 09:19 PM
#3. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Yeah, hand holding techniques is really important.
However, my aim to sell photos at stock photo sites has failed.

Not a shot from the lens has been approved...

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 06-Sep-13 12:54 PM
678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Charlotte, US

There's one more trick to shooting hand-held. If you're out of other options, move your D7100 in Cl or Ch(Continuous low or Continuous high) rather than single release. Take about a three-shot burst and then examine them in post to see which is the sharpest. It normally turns out that the 2nd or 3rd shot is much sharper than the first. Not always, but generally.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Sun 08-Sep-13 04:05 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Handshake problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Menifee, US

Have you tried using a monopod?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29723 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.