Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29696
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus problems with D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
behnkej Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 01:30 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus problems with D7100"

US

I recently bought a D7100, upgrading from a D50 that was six or seven years old. I have two lenses: a Sigma DC 18 - 200mm and a AF-S Nikkor 18 - 55mm. I have had good results with the Sigma, but have had consistent focus problems with the Nikkor. In just about any autofocus setting I've chosen I get "chatter" (i.e, subject coming in and out of focus) when I'm composing a shot. Most of my pictures with the Nikkor lens are not in focus. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong or is it possible that the older Nikkor lens is not capability with the new D7100? Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

behnkej

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus problems with D7100
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2013
behnkej
03rd Sep 2013
billD80 Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
behnkej
03rd Sep 2013
goodguy
03rd Sep 2013
Elrique64a Gold Member
03rd Sep 2013
behnkej
03rd Sep 2013
lautry Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
behnkej
03rd Sep 2013
lautry Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
behnkej
10th Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Sep-13 08:18 AM
25549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jim,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
First, both versions of the 18-55mm are fully compatible with the D7100.
Which version of the 18-55mm do you have?

Best Regards,
Marty

behnkej Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 10:24 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

It's a Nikon DX, AF-S Nikkor,1:3.5 -5.6G ED

Jim

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 03-Sep-13 12:50 PM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>It's a Nikon DX, AF-S Nikkor,1:3.5 -5.6G ED
>
>Jim

Do you have the camera set on AF-C (multi-point) and it's having trouble deciding what the real focus target should be?

I would try AF-S, center point only, pick a distinct target, and see if the behavior improves. If so, then go from there with other modes...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

behnkej Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 01:24 PM
#4. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yes, I've had it set at AF-S, but I'm still getting the chatter, by which I mean that the focus keeps adjusting itself and won't give me the green light to shoot in the form of the solid dot. When I final click the shutter, I get an out-of-focus shot.

For further info, I've chosen the following settings:

For AF-C and AF-S I have it set at focus (not "release")
Focus tracking lock is off
Focus point wrap-around is off
Number of focal points: I only see a choice between 51 and 11

Are there any other focus controls I'm missing?

Thanks!

Jim Behnke

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 02:36 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Had lots of problem with focusing with my D7000.
So far I am glad to say I have no such issues with my D7100.

What I did to improve this issue with my D7000 was fine tune each of my lens to my camera, that helped a lot so I would recommend you to try it.

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012Tue 03-Sep-13 03:02 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Lake Stevens, US

Are you shooting in lower light levels? This sounds a lot like what my 80-400 VR (1st version) does when I team it up with a Tamron 1.4x. As soon as I take the 1.4x off the lens locks right on.

When I zoom this lens out to 400mm it's at f5.6, but when I put the teleconverter on it is an f8 lens. Since most of these cameras aren't able to autofocus at f8 except for just one of the autofocus sensors, this could be the problem.

I also have the 18-55 non VR lens and it seems to have focus hunting issues for me, as well. Typically in lower light. Although I have had some problems in better light with low contrast targets as well.

Granted, my copy of the 80-400 isn't a speed demon for focusing, anyway, and saddling it with a teleconverter only adds to focus errors.

This poor low light performance with this lens has got me to thinking I need to get better glass. And gotta feed the NAS, too. Now just trying to decide if $6000 for the 600 f4 or the Sigma 300-800 5.6 for another $1500+ becomes the issue.

Try using this lens on a fairly bright daylight type of shot with a lot of contrast for the autofocus to lock on to. See if you can find someone in your area with a Lens Align target or even a checkerboard pattern to try focusing on. The checkerboard patterns can be made easily with PS or you can get a real good copy of one from Adobe with their lens profile tool for PS. You can find more info for it at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5490.

hth

Mike G.

behnkej Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 03:14 PM
#7. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I'm experiencing the problem in ALL light situations, including broad daylight with nothing particularly exotic about the composition. I'm stumped.

Jim Behnke

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Tue 03-Sep-13 04:22 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Panama City Beach, US

Just out of curiosity, but have you tried to clean the lens to body contacts of the offending lens?
Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

behnkej Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Tue 03-Sep-13 04:26 PM
#9. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Interesting suggestions. No, I haven't. What's the best way to clean them?

behnkej

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Tue 03-Sep-13 05:37 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Panama City Beach, US

I have never tried to clean them but someone on here will respond to you for the correct method and materials to use. My suggestion was due to my background in electronics and from my experience in reading these forum posts. When a lens acts strange, wants to hunt and not focus correctly etc. it's probably a good first step to take, especially since the problem seems to be lens related and not camera.
Try not placing your hands under the lens and lock focus with one hand and shoot or better yet on a table or tripod. In other words get your hand away from flexing the lens underneath or otherwise. If it starts to work you probably have bad or intermittent surface to surface contact.
Larry

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Sep-13 09:15 PM
25549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 03-Sep-13 09:35 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Jim,

Use a drop of DeOxit on a Q-Tip to clean the electrical contacts on both the lens and the camera body.
Also inspect the contacts on the lens and make sure they all project out the same distance. They are spring loaded and can get jammed in.

DeOxit is available ar Radio Shack.

Best Regards,
Marty

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 03-Sep-13 04:47 PM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 8

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I tried cleaning the contact bumps in the camera with a paper tissue and some alcohol. This was a big mistake. The paper tissue shredded all over and I am sure some of it got on the sensor. Also I think the alcohol partially softened up the rubber seal. The tissue really stuck to that. Don't do what I did!!! At least I did it on my D70.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Sep-13 09:34 PM
#13. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Jim,

Try using a single AF point. Preferably the center point which is the most sensive and accurate.

BTW:
When you used the word "chatter" the my first thought was a problem with the VR mechanism. Thus the question about which version of the lens you had.
I see now that you ment the AF system is "hunting" and does not lock focus.

Best Regards,
Marty

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 11:29 AM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I think I had a similar problem once with my D7100.

I found my D3100 did the same thing!

There seems to be a tiny window in the the specifications where the ambient light is not quite enough for accurate auto-focus but too bright to trigger the focus assist lamp to come on.

Putting a little more light on the subject just to focus, in my case an LED flashlight, produced a rightly focused image.

I don't know for sure if this is what you are experiencing, but you might want to experiment.

Also, you did not mention the f/stops used with each lens. A faster lens would focus better in this case.

Hope this helps,

Bob

behnkej Registered since 03rd Sep 2013Tue 10-Sep-13 09:47 AM
#15. "RE: Focus problems with D7100"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. I have concluded that I have a lens-to-body contact problem. Thanks to lautry, who first suggested this. My conclusion is based on entirely different/better focus performance using my other lens. Also, given the cautionary notes about doing your own cleaning, I'm decided to get my 18-55mm professionally cleaned.

Thanks again everyone!

behnkej

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29696 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.