Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29647
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's bu..." Previous topic | Next topic
stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Thu 29-Aug-13 08:21 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
Thu 29-Aug-13 08:22 PM by stormpeak

US

I had the D7100 in hand last night and almost bought it, but hesitated due to customer comments and reviews I've read recently on B & H and elsewhere regarding the buffer issue. Have any of you experienced this? How bad is it? Has it had any adverse effects on your wildlife or birding photography?

Thanks for your input.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100'...
cockers Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
brobones Gold Member
29th Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
30th Aug 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
30th Aug 2013
Sixmileman
30th Aug 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
cockers Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
01st Sep 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
04th Sep 2013
DVerdi
04th Sep 2013

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 29-Aug-13 08:30 PM
4198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Not for me - I tend to shoot in shorter 2-4 shot bursts as the birds and animals are always changing positions.

Al

brobones Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2006Thu 29-Aug-13 08:56 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I pretty much shoot exclusivley birds and I do shoot in crop mode 1.3. I always like to fill the lens with the bird the cop mode of the 7100 helps me do that.
I have not had any issues at all in this mode with the buffer.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 30-Aug-13 11:18 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Whether the buffer size is appropriate for you depends on your shooting style. Shooting short bursts should be OK or if you shoot JPG, you definitely will not have a problem. If you rely on long continuous highest speed RAW frames then it is not the camera for you. The only one that can handle that is the D4 of the current lineup. The D4 coupled with a large bank account is the answer in this later case because not only a $6k body is needed but being full frame, your longest lenses are probably not long enough. Long fast primes are expensive.
So you can save yourself a lot of money by using short bursts or single frame shots.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 30-Aug-13 08:10 PM
382 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 3

jacksonville, US

when i went to the St Augustine rookery I felt i was missing from shooting RAW. i had the choice of dropping to standard JPG, Crop mode, or try not to shoot 5 frames. once thing i did was made darn sure i was off CH, because i tend to rip off 5 frames in no time.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 30-Aug-13 09:41 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I live in SW Florida and shoot a lot of birds. The frame rate has not been an issue because, like others, I tend to shoot in bursts and not long continuous captures. I use CH shutter mode exclusively. It's essential, I think, that you use the fastest card you can (I use SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10 cards with an indicated write speed of 95 MB/s). You also need to be sure that other camera settings are set so as to not adversely affect frame rate.

IMHO the D7100 is a great camera.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 06:58 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

My experience echoes some of the other comments in that I've not found it to be a problem. I tend to shoot in CL mode at 4 fps most of the time anyway and only in bursts of a few frames at a time.

Compared to my D7000, the D7100's new AF system gives a higher percentage of keepers, so I find the need to shoot less frames as well.

With the 95 MB/s Sandisk cards, buffer flush time is pretty fast, so even if you do fill it, the camera is ready to shoot again very quickly.

The D7100 has its limitations, however solid photographic technique and lower frame rates will always win out over the 'spray and pray' method with super fast frame rates. In my opinion, a D7100 in the hands of someone who is skilled at using it is a more than adequate tool for wildlife and bird photography.

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 31-Aug-13 09:47 AM
4198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 6

Plover, US

I agree totally.

Al

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 07:43 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 6

Philadelphia, US

I also agree about the 95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

My D7100 will pop off 11 to 12 shots (I shoot RAW only) In Continuous High and I shot 40+ in Continuous Low.

Remember, this is a 24Mp camera. That's a LOT more data to transfer for the added resolution. With The D7100 you can also choose 14 or 12-bit RAW format and compressed or uncompressed. I use 14-bit uncompressed with no problems.

Hope this helps,

Bob

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 01-Sep-13 11:41 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

I'm am a bird shooter, and often birds in flight. Yes, the buffering when taking in NEF is slower than I'd like, however the overall capability of the camera outweighs any talk of it being unsuitable for bird photography.

The clarity of the images for this genre of photography is superb, helped by the absence of the AA filter. Personally I find much to like about the D7100 for birding and linked with either my 300mm f4 with or without a x1.4TC or Sigma 50-500mm OS I really don't find the slowish buffering a show stopper in any way. Using fast cards helps in the processing.

Whether a new rumoured semi pro DX will arrive and alleviate this buffering problem is anyone's guess, but for me and for now, the D7100 is the best DX currently available. For bird photography the image IQ is top notch and 24Mp allows for reasonable cropping.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Wed 04-Sep-13 03:22 AM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks again everyone for all your thoughts on this topic.

DVerdi Registered since 07th Jun 2013Wed 04-Sep-13 04:54 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Wildlife and Bird Photographers: How has the D7100's buffer limitation impacted you? Any regrets?"
In response to Reply # 10

North Fort Myers, US

I am an avid bird photographer and upon hearing about the abilities of the D7100 I had to have one to upgrade from my D90. Wow, what an improvement. The buffer problem was a potential problem though and after experiencing it in testing I adjusted my RAW settings to 12 bit and lossless compression. This helped and I was not disappointed in the quality of the images. I might add that while it is possible to have this problem rear its ugly head in testing, in practice it has not been a problem. I always use the CH setting for birds in flight and I can't really say that I lost a good shot because of it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29647 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.