Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29618
View in linear mode

Subject: "Oil or Dust spots on D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Wed 28-Aug-13 05:48 PM
1090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Oil or Dust spots on D7000?"
Thu 29-Aug-13 01:38 AM by Vlad_IT

US

editing OP.

after following directions and tips given to me from following up post I can conclude I have an oil spots on the sensor.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Oil or Dust spot?
MarkM10431 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
elec164 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
audiophileman2002 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
jbloom Gold Member
28th Aug 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Oil or Dust spots on D7000?
elec164 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 06:00 PM
400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Oil or Dust spot?"
In response to Reply # 0

jacksonville, US

first and obvious qusestion is are the spots there with different lenses? you have to eliminate one of the two, glass or sensor.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Wed 28-Aug-13 06:25 PM
1090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Oil or Dust spot?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 28-Aug-13 07:04 PM by Vlad_IT

US

>first and obvious qusestion is are the spots there with
>different lenses? you have to eliminate one of the two, glass
>or sensor.

Mark, thanks for your reply.

You made a valid point and i will test the sensor with a different lens, even though i attribute the problem to either dust or oil for the reason that all spots are well defined, some of the are much darker that the one i attached. Also the lens i used is for test is a brand new 18-200 without any visible flows or dust. Also changing the FL on the lens from 18 to 24 and to 35 does not make any effect on location of the spots. I’m 99.9% sure that it is a sensor related spots, but to be sure I’m planning to do macro photography tonight and i will do another test using 60mm G macro lens.

Best regards,
Vlad

EDIT****

after reading a lot of posts on dust and oil spots i came to a conclusion that i do not have oil spots problems but just the dust. it's not the dust on the lens - as the spots are small and well defined (50 pixel diameter out of 4928×3264 sensor - it's small specs of dust on the sensor, that are not getting removed by air blower.

Any advice on how to proceed with cleaning? will Nikon do the cleaning?

Thanks again,
Vlad

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 07:36 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Oil or Dust spot?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 28-Aug-13 07:37 PM by elec164

US

I see you were typing your edit as I was typing my post!

You can contact Nikon, but I doubt sensor debris would be covered under the 90-day warranty.

Just do a wet cleaning yourself. Just Google wet sensor cleaning and you'll get a bunch of hits on tutorials and videos.

I use Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs and Eclipse Fluid.

It seems somewhat of a scary daunting task until you do your first cleaning. Then afterward you'll laugh at how easy it was!

Pete

Pete

audiophileman2002 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 07:47 PM
357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Oil or Dust spot?"
In response to Reply # 4

Clarksville, US

Sensor debris is covered by the 90 day warranty. Nikon didn't charge me for my D800. Shipping to Nikon I had to pay but shipping back to me was also covered by Nikon.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 28-Aug-13 07:45 PM
6162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Oil or Dust spot?"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

It's dust on the sensor, as you suspect.

My cleaning regimen consists of three parts:

1) Clean with a Rocket blower. This typically removes all or nearly all of the dust.

2) If dust remains, clean with a VisibleDust brush. This generally removes whatever is left.

3) In the rare case where there is something that can't be removed with blower or brush, use sensor wipes and Eclipse solution to do a wet cleaning.

For the vast majority of cases, steps 1 and 2 will be sufficient.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 28-Aug-13 09:54 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Oil or Dust spot?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>It's dust on the sensor, as you suspect.
>
>My cleaning regimen consists of three parts:
>
>1) Clean with a Rocket blower. This typically removes all or
>nearly all of the dust.
>
>2) If dust remains, clean with a VisibleDust brush. This
>generally removes whatever is left.
>
>3) In the rare case where there is something that can't be
>removed with blower or brush, use sensor wipes and Eclipse
>solution to do a wet cleaning.
>
>For the vast majority of cases, steps 1 and 2 will be
>sufficient.
>

This. I've not yet had to resort to step 3. The Artic Butterfly brushes with the LED lights are easy to use.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 07:24 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Oil or Dust spots on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Vlad, it's really difficult to diagnose from the supplied image.

But from my experience the oil spotting problem with early D7000 was isolated mainly to one side of the frame with few spots across the whole frame.

You may wish to check out my If not Lubricant...than what? thread.

It was repaired under warranty by Nikon for lubricant spray issue. But as stated in that thread, my oil/lubricant spots averaged around 20 pixels which seem much smaller than yours.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29618 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.