Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29599
View in linear mode

Subject: "U1 U2 settings" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Wed 28-Aug-13 12:22 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"U1 U2 settings"

Reston, US

Hi all, just returning from holiday and think I may have figured out what settings to save under the User settings for my D7100 using an 18-200mm.. First I normally shoot: P with matrix exposure, AF-A with 9 focal points, -.3exp comp and auto IS0. But to take candid telephoto shots of still people, inside and outside shots of cathedrals and palaces (architecture) I think I should use center-weighted exp, AF-S with 9 focal points, P and auto exposure. I would save these under U 1. Under U2 I would save action settings: matrix exposure with AF-C and 51 or 3D focusing and O exp comp and auto iso. Am I on track with these? Is there published books to help me? Thanks, stephen

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 28-Aug-13 04:08 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: U1 U2 settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

There are. But I don't know how to attach a text file to an email. Thom Hogan, who is wise about all things Nikon attached his U1/U2 settings to his eBook. I bought the book. There is another guy named Kirk with a website/blog devoted to Nikon. But he is criticized regular on the net for not really doing his homework.

Don't be in a hurry to mater all the refinements of the camera. I have had my D7000 since April/2012 and am now just at the point where I can control it with any speed.

Thom's site is here: http://www.bythom.com

He radically changed it recently, so do some digging. Perhaps on the small button links on the right side of the home page.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 04:04 AM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: U1 U2 settings"
In response to Reply # 1

Nashville, US

Sure, you're on the right track. The U1 and U2 are just convenient storage of preferred settings, try them and see how they work. You can always change things around later- your settings aren't carved into stone or anything, so experiment!

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Thu 29-Aug-13 10:44 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: U1 U2 settings"
In response to Reply # 2

Reston, US

Thanks for the ideas and Hogan's info. I realized on the trip that I was using not the best settings for many of the shots. No big damage but I know I am learning and
refining. I also realized that I would have to change several settings as I went from one kind of image to another. That's when I started to think that using the U settings was a fast way to do this without missing picture opportunities--often the case when touring around-- and allow me time to make a few more tweaks to settings called for at the moment of the photo (exposure comp to avoid blowing the hlighlights, for instance). Nikonians and Utube helped me during the trip but many of the suggested settings were for purposes not consistent with mine. The best part of playing around with U settings is to just figure out what the myriad of options given by the D7100 allows me to accomplish. Does anyone know if the upcoming book being promoted by NIkonians on the D 7100 have anything about U settings. Thanks again, S

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29599 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.