Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29594
View in linear mode

Subject: "Night Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
Sumithra_Sen Registered since 13th Aug 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 01:58 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Night Photography"

US

Hi

I used a tripod to capture a statue of Buddha in the night. There was no direct light on the statue itself , but the street lamp was hitting on the statue ( orange lamp)

The output I actually wanted was silhouette, just as it was without capturing the entire body.

However, when I tried both the effects mode and A=priority mode, the camera capture the entire body.

How do I get the desired effect?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 28-Aug-13 02:43 AM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Night Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The camera is programmed to get the whole body. Since you want just the silhouette, you need to use manual mode to pick a short shutter speed.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Wed 28-Aug-13 09:10 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Night Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I agree that manual mode should work. To get an approximation of settings, see what the f-stop and shutter speed are in A mode and then dial-down the shutter speed in M-mode until you get what you want.

prreid

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 01:57 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Night Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The camera when set to an automatic exposure mode makes a major decision on its own that the area under the focus point is a mid tone, half way between deepest black and brightest white in visual perception, which equals about 18% of the illumination from black to white. So your cameras was trying to make where you focuses, a moderately light mid tone instead of the very dark shadow you saw with your eye. You can work around that very easily, by estimating how much over exposed the subject would be if exposed to 18% grey and simply dialing in negative exposure compensation to counter the boost that the meter is telling the camera to apply.
Or an even simpler method preferred by most photographers is to use manual exposure mode and meter then increase speed or aperture to display on the meter the amount you need to under expose the object.
It is easier than it reads and luckily we have a good tool in the rear monitor to try settings and verify if the guess is right. Try 1 and them 2 stops to start in under
exposure.

You can also bracket only in the negative compensation direction from base auto expose. So in a series of shots, each will be a step lower in exposure then the previous so one of them will just what you intended.

There are more precise ways but they are a bit more complicated so I will not describe then now. Manual mode is your friend, it gives you total creative control and has a meter to tell you lots of things about the scene or spot you are metering.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 05:04 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Night Photography"
In response to Reply # 3

jacksonville, US

that's what I did here

in addition to the shutter/aperature adjustments i tweaked the EV settings as weell to dial in the image i wanted

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29594 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.