Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29589
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where to get D7100 repaired" Previous topic | Next topic
Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Tue 27-Aug-13 06:15 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where to get D7100 repaired"

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Folks.

I did something stupid and my D7100 crashed to the concrete from about 4 feet up. It landed on the top corner where the mode dial is located, damaging the dial and release knobs. Would you send it to Nikon or one of the authorized repair facilities? I am in California. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where to get D7100 repaired
Bela614 Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
28th Aug 2013
jerryray Silver Member
02nd Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
04th Sep 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
02nd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
ericbowles Moderator
04th Sep 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
04th Sep 2013

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 27-Aug-13 10:13 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 0

Bellingham, US

I am so sorry to hear about your camera, it is a terrible accident. I would get it repaired by Nikon, I believe they are the best. Also consider insurance, I have State Farm insuring $5000 dollars of camera equipment for $50 dollars a year. This insurance includes drops and stolen equipment. Also some homeowners insurance will cover it. I hope you get her fixed soon.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 28-Aug-13 12:10 AM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 1

El Sobrante, US

Thanks, Bill. When I looked for Nikon authorized repair services on the net, I found that Nikon says only they can work on this model. I will check on my home insurance policy to see if this might be covered. Even if it is, the deductible might be more than the repair.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 01:40 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

Nikon authorizes approved affiliate shops to repair in and out of warranty cameras and accessories. New Models are reserved for Nikon USA "factory" shops to repair units before the independent authorized shops are trained on the new models. After 6 months or more of a new model being in the field and after and independent shops receive training, they become authorized to repair that model in addition to all the older models.
If the D7100 repair is still Nikon only, you are still covered because there is a shop located in southern California.
I have used Precision Services in Sacramento for repair of my D7000 last year and was very pleased with the service and speed.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberMon 02-Sep-13 03:34 AM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 1

NYC, US

>I am so sorry to hear about your camera, it is a terrible
>accident. I would get it repaired by Nikon, I believe they
>are the best. Also consider insurance, I have State Farm
>insuring $5000 dollars of camera equipment for $50 dollars a
>year. This insurance includes drops and stolen equipment.
>Also some homeowners insurance will cover it. I hope you get
>her fixed soon.
>Bill

What is the deductible for $50 year?

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 03-Sep-13 06:00 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 4

Bellingham, US

Hello,
There is no deductible.
Bill

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 04-Sep-13 04:15 PM
#9. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 1

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Bill.

I took your advice and checked with my homeowner's insurance policy agent (Farmer's). It turns out that my base coverage would need an added rider to cover the camera gear. They charge $77/year for $5000 of coverage. That sounded good until I asked him about the deductible. He researched it and said the deductible would be the same as on the basic homeowner's policy: $2500. That is just absurd, so I am going to check into separate camera policies. Oh, and by the way, I am going to research homeowner's policies to see if I can save some money by switching to another company. This sort of absurdity is one of the reasons people get upset at large corporations.

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Mon 02-Sep-13 04:45 PM
#5. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

The $50 per year for insurance sounds really inexpensive now that I know how much my repair will be. The estimate from Nikon is $304 plus return shipping. I still have to check with my homeowner's insurance company to see if this is a covered problem, but I doubt that it will be. I'll see if I can have a rider attached to my policy to cover my camera gear from now on.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Sep-13 12:38 AM
25689 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Brian,

If you purchased the camera with a credit card, it might be covered by buyers protection insurance provoded by the card issuer.
Check the terms of your card.

Best Regards,
Marty

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Tue 03-Sep-13 09:10 PM
#8. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 6

El Sobrante, US

Thanks for the suggestion, Marty. I'll check on it.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 04-Sep-13 07:29 PM
8517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

There are a couple of sources of insurance through other organizations. Rand Insurance has a program through NANPA for NANPA members. Membership is $100 per year and the insurance is competitively priced.

PPA has two policies - through Chubb I think. PPA membership is geared to the pro market. They have a free policy with a deductible for dropped gear - so it would not have covered your situation. They also have an upgrade to a paid policy that is pretty good. The paid policy covers all risks.

Homeowners policies vary a lot. The big deductible does not sound right for scheduled items. I have no deductible on my homeowners through Cincinnati Insurance. Personal gear including my wife's equipment is on that policy. We lost or had stolen a bag with a lens in Italy a couple of years ago and they promptly paid the scheduled value with no impact on rates. At the same time, a $300-400 item is probably not worth filing a homeowners claim as they will raise your rates or cancel you with too many claims.

Cost seems to run around $1.10 per $100 of value on a homeowners policy for personal use and $2 per $100 for unlimited use through Rand or Chubb.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 04-Sep-13 08:43 PM
#11. "RE: Where to get D7100 repaired"
In response to Reply # 10

El Sobrante, US

Thanks, Eric. I had my Farmer's agent double-check their deductible for the camera floater addition to my base policy. He confirmed that his original understanding was correct. In addition, he said they don't want to insure any item valued at less than $1500. Since Consumer's Reports shows Farmer's near the bottom of their satisfaction survey, I am investigating other insurance companies.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29589 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.