Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29578
View in linear mode

Subject: "Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend" Previous topic | Next topic
N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2003Tue 27-Aug-13 12:52 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"

East Lansing, US

Dear All,
despite now being broke graduate student I had to feed my N.A.S. in the form of a used D7000 for the large auction site.

I am very curious to see what six year of technical innovation (compared to my D200) will yield. I am looking forward to being able to shoot at more that ISO 400...

Is there anything in particular that I should check when the camera arrives? Any specifics to the D7000 I should be aware of?

The learning curve will be steep but that is part of the fun of getting a new camera.

Markus

A German/American Nikonian living in the Mitten State.

… for landscape photography the
aphorism should be expanded:"f8 and
be there in good light." -John Shaw

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend
luckyphoto Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
billD80 Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
janlej Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 28-Aug-13 11:11 AM
744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Some general guidelines will help. I'm sure others will also contribute.

1. The D7000 is very sensitive to motion when being hand-held. Try to stay above 1/125 if you're not using a support or tripod. You have to use a very good hand holding technique with this camera to get razor-sharp photos.

2. The D7000 will quickly show any lens limitations with marginal lenses. Make sure you have good glass for optimum results.

3. Learn the auto focus options. Many complained because they didn't understand which auto focus system was best for the type of photography they were attempting.

These three should get you started.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2003Wed 28-Aug-13 12:27 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 1

East Lansing, US

Hello Larry,
thanks for the pointers. That seems like wise counsel.

I intend to put the D7000 through the paces on a tripod to see if I can get good technical images. After that it is "operator error".

As a clarification to your point 1 above: Do you think that the D7000 is more sensitive to hand motion than other cameras or is this a consequence of the high resolution?

Regards,
Markus

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 29-Aug-13 12:43 PM
744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

"Do you think that the D7000 is more sensitive to hand motion than other cameras or is this a consequence of the high resolution?"

The D7000 is somewhat more sensitive to motion blur than some other cameras due to the short intersite distance between photosites on the sensor. Please don't read this as a limitation of the D7000. It just requires more attention to correct technique and slightly faster shutter speeds. This can be offset somewhat with VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses. The motion blur is more apparent in longer shots with a telephoto lens.

When shooting hand held, with many cameras you can use the formula

1 / lens focal length of the shot

as a recommended shutter speed. If you were shooting a photo at a focal length of 100mm, your shutter speed would be 1/100th. However, with the D7000 it's better to use the formula

1 / (1.5) x focal length so that same shot

should be with a shutter speed of 1/160th. That's the closest to 1/150th of a second.

Fear not, the D7000 is an outstanding camera that will provide you with excellent results as long as you use proper technique.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberWed 28-Aug-13 12:28 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Louis, US

Congrats. I went from a D100 to the 7000 a few years back. What a difference a decade makes! Since then, I've upgraded EVERY lens except my 50 1.4. As for focus, I use AF-C 9-point for almost everything (probably stupid, but I'm lazy). As always, when in doubt, RTFM or buy a book like Darrell Young's Mastering the Nikon D7000.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 02:17 PM
283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

You may wish to experiment with the in camera Sharpening. I struggled with this a great deal until I settled on internal Sharpening of value of "6". This allowed me to get acceptable shots.
Turbo

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 29-Aug-13 03:40 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 29-Aug-13 05:17 PM by billD80

US

I went from a D200 to a D7000, and never looked back...

Get ready for comparably incredible battery duration, often easily reaching 1000+ shots depending on how often you use the LCD screen.

I'd set Sharpening on '6', and leave everything else on Standard.

The shutter is buttery smooth (sounds more like a swoosh than a click), and the release is not detented like the D200's, more like a hair-trigger, but you'll get used to it (after accidentally firing off a few frames!). Watch where you set the mode dial, it CAN be shifted when placing or removing the camera from a case (but again, this is something you'll just reflexively check).

If you view D7000 images at 100% it will reveal more flaws in technique or in the glass used, but it will be no more prone to exhibit these tendencies if you print at the same size you did with the D200. Motion blur viewed at 100% from a 16mp camera may be completely unnoticed when printed at 12x18...

I shot some stuff hand-held at 1/15th and there was no intrinsic problem. Good technique is good technique. Squeeze the shutter button, don't jab...

The color tones are great, the dynamic range is great, the matrix metering is great, the ISO1600 capability is far superior to the D200...

Have fun. Come back if you have questions, or just to show off your images!

Also, consider getting the GGS LCD D7000 stick-on gorilla-type glass covers for the back and top. They look like factory equipment and are FAR superior to the plastic LCD cover. Just be sure to align them right during the initial application.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

janlej Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2004Thu 29-Aug-13 06:07 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Brugge, BE

I found this very useful:
http://www.everythingd7000.co.uk/

Jan L.
Brugge - Belgium

N80 Aircraftnut Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2003Tue 03-Sep-13 05:21 PM
#8. "RE: Used D7000 to Arrive Before the Weekend"
In response to Reply # 7

East Lansing, US

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have gotten a chance to use the camera and it is very good. Six years have defiantly made a lot of difference.

Now comes the fun of learning how to use the camera well...

Markus

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29578 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.