Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29537
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 on Holiday..." Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Aug-13 04:43 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 on Holiday..."

US

The D7100 seems pretty adaptable... I'm finding the AF very accurate, and the overall performance extremely reliable.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 on Holiday...
unclemikey Platinum Member
26th Aug 2013
billD80 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
jbloom Gold Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
jbloom Gold Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
billD80 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
billD80 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 01:40 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 0

Henrico, US

Bill, what glass were you using for the shot of the pitcher?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Aug-13 01:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Bill, what glass were you using for the shot of the pitcher?

I was using the Nikkor 300/4 AF-S...

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 02:19 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 2

Henrico, US

Sorry Bill, another question I forgot to ask. How far were your seats from the pitchers mound? Here is why I'm asking. My step son is getting married at the end of this week. I'll be in Denver and the father in law is taking about 75 close family members to the Rockies, Cleveland game. My son want's me to get some pictures for him and his media room. I'm thinking of taking the 70-200 f/2.8 with TC20EIII or my 70-300 f4.5/5.6. I know we will be in section 245 of Cooers Field but I have no idea how far that is from the pitchers mound or home plate. What would you suggest?

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 26-Aug-13 02:34 PM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

Section 245 in Coors field is a club-level outfield location. You will be upwards of 300 feet away from home plate and from the pitcher's mound. You will also be elevated above the field, looking down on play. In short, you aren't likely to get shots like Bill's from there regardless of lens.

Were I you, I would concentrate on documenting the fun the group is having, using the field as a backdrop rather than a primary subject. Just a thought.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 02:47 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 4

Henrico, US

Jon, thanks for the input. Is there any restriction for me to be walking around maybe getting closer to make some shots? I've never been to this ball park before. And additional advice would be helpful.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 26-Aug-13 02:58 PM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

I can't say about Coors Field because I've never been there. But most of the places I have been have security staff monitoring the lower levels near the field. You may have to display a ticket to get down there. Even if not, if you get down there and don't have a seat and are just standing there, it's likely that security will come over and require you to leave.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 03:20 PM
#12. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 9

Henrico, US

>I can't say about Coors Field because I've never been there.
>But most of the places I have been have security staff
>monitoring the lower levels near the field. You may have to
>display a ticket to get down there. Even if not, if you get
>down there and don't have a seat and are just standing there,
>it's likely that security will come over and require you to
>leave.
>
OK, not so bad. It is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I'm a tourista I just didn't know. LOL

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Aug-13 02:45 PM
#5. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Sorry Bill, another question I forgot to ask. How far were
>your seats from the pitchers mound? Here is why I'm asking. My
>step son is getting married at the end of this week. I'll be
>in Denver and the father in law is taking about 75 close
>family members to the Rockies, Cleveland game. My son want's
>me to get some pictures for him and his media room. I'm
>thinking of taking the 70-200 f/2.8 with TC20EIII or my 70-300
>f4.5/5.6. I know we will be in section 245 of Cooers Field but
>I have no idea how far that is from the pitchers mound or home
>plate. What would you suggest?

My seat was 6 rows above the Visitor's Dugout, and the posted shot is uncropped...

If I were you, where you're sitting, I'd bring a wide-angle, and focus on the family in the foreground, with the stadium and game rounding out the image as a backdrop. That could be a very neat shot. If it's an evening game, use the light at sundown, etc...

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 02:52 PM
#7. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 5

Henrico, US

Thanks Bill. Same question again to you, is there any chance for walking around to get closer to the home plate action without upsetting security? I don't really want to take my 50-150 Sigma because it is just too freaking big for me to hand hold and to conspicuous for in stand shooting.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 02:54 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 7

Henrico, US

Regardless of the long glass I'm taking the 24-70 f/2.8 Tamron with me.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Aug-13 03:15 PM
#10. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Thanks Bill. Same question again to you, is there any chance
>for walking around to get closer to the home plate action
>without upsetting security?

I've been to Coors, and depending on how much Chutzpah you have, it's possible to scope out an empty seat in a great section, act like you belong there, and calmly go for it as people move in and out of the section. In the later innings, attendants tend to get more lenient.

If stopped, politely explain your dilemma and the desire to get one or two close-ups... The worst that can happen is they say no...

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 03:18 PM
#11. "RE: D7100 on Holiday..."
In response to Reply # 10

Henrico, US

Chutzpah I'm not short on. Plus I'm retired military and wear a hat that says so. Maybe that will help.

Thanks for the input. I know this will be helpful.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29537 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.