Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29529
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on apert..." Previous topic | Next topic
ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Sun 25-Aug-13 10:47 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"

US

Hello,

i am by no means a camera pro so please bear with me. I am having a problem that I am hoping you can help me out with. I have a d7000, sb-600 and two yn-622n. I put one yn-622n on my camera and the other one I use off camera with the sb-600 on it. The transmitter on my camera has the green light on back and the receiver has red light which means its in TTL mode. The d7000 in us “U1” mode which for me is basically setup to be aperture mode.

The camera triggers the flash fine. The problem is the camera settings are staying the same for every picture no matter what.

When I am U1 mode, I pick the aperture. My settings are telling the camera not to go below 1/50 shutter speed and go up to 3200 iso. So for example if I take a picture with using my flash directly on my camera hotshoe, without using the yn-622n, let say the picture comes out at 1/50, 2.8, 720 iso. Now lets say I put one yn-622n on my camera and the other one I use off camera with the sb-600 on it. Now that same picture comes out at 1/30, 2.8, 100 iso. No matter where I take the picture, it comes on 1/30, 2.8, 100 iso. Even if I increase my aperture to 6.0, the shutter stays at 1/30 and the iso stays at 100.

So it seems like when I use the yn-622n system, my camera isn’t automatically picking the shutter speed or iso for me like it should be when I do not use the yn-622n.

not sure if this is a yn-622n problem or if this happens no matter what transmitter I use, including pocket wizard.

Please help. thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on a...
ali shah
27th Aug 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
ali shah
28th Aug 2013
greenwing Gold Member
28th Aug 2013
kstrongs
28th Aug 2013
ali shah
29th Aug 2013
greenwing Gold Member
29th Aug 2013
ali shah
29th Aug 2013
greenwing Gold Member
29th Aug 2013
ali shah
29th Aug 2013
mjhach Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
ali shah
30th Aug 2013
mjhach Silver Member
05th Sep 2013

ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 04:44 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 0

US

can anyone please help? I cant figure out whats wrong. Even if put it in aperture or shutter mode, the camera will not the other values and auto iso wont work. its basically like I am working in manual mode.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 27-Aug-13 08:01 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The only thing I know is that the Yongnuo units are very cheap and very buggy. Some quick GoogleFu shows that everybody is now talking about units made pre-June 23 and units made post-June 23 as having different firmware, along with not being compatibly with various model speedlights and TTL mode.

You might want to try posting this question on the lighting forum, where it is probably more appropriate. The folks over there will probably have more knowledge of these units.

ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 12:04 AM
#3. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thank you for the reply. I may have received a problematic unit. but I took your advice and posted it in the lighting forum. thanks

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 28-Aug-13 08:54 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, GB

I'm not familiar with the Yongnuos you're using, but some thoughts as to what might be happening are firstly that I think you have 'Flash Shutter Speed' at 1/30 (which is why your shutter speed with the Yongnuos is 1/30) and secondly I know that Auto ISO is cancelled when using the onboard flash in master or commander mode. Perhaps something similar happens with the Yongnuos - maybe they tell the camera that they're a commander.

Hope this helps
Chris

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Wed 28-Aug-13 06:42 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 4

St. Thomas, CA

Auto ISO and flash don't work very well together. Turn off Auto ISI when using flash.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 01:40 AM
#7. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Auto ISO and flash don't work very well together. Turn off
>Auto ISI when using flash.

I am possibly willing to do that but unfortunately the camera wont even select shutter speed in aperture priority. if I am in shutter priority, the camera wont select aperture. its only when I directly put the flash on camera without using the yongnuo,the camera starts to work normally. no obviously the yongnuo is causing the issue and just don't know if I have a defective unit or if all radio transmitters have this effect on the camera.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 29-Aug-13 04:45 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

>>Auto ISO and flash don't work very well together. Turn
>off
>>Auto ISI when using flash.
>
>I am possibly willing to do that but unfortunately the camera
>wont even select shutter speed in aperture priority. if I am
>in shutter priority, the camera wont select aperture. its only
>when I directly put the flash on camera without using the
>yongnuo,the camera starts to work normally. no obviously the
>yongnuo is causing the issue and just don't know if I have a
>defective unit or if all radio transmitters have this effect
>on the camera.

It's not that the camera won't select shutter speed or aperture, more that it can't go slower than 1/30, because that's what you've told it to do with flash, or wider than f/2.8, because the lens can't open wider, though it needs to do so in order to get a proper ambient light exposure at the ISO you've set. It's behaving exactly as it would if you turned Auto ISO off and mounted the SB600 in the hotshoe. Using the Yongnuos makes the camera override the Auto ISO setting (though there may be visual clues that Auto ISO is working) and the ISO does not change from the value you have set.

Be sure to check that Pocket Wizards behave the way you want before you splash the cash on them. I suspect that the Yongnuos may be a clone of the pocket wizards.

Chris

ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 08:02 PM
#9. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 8

US

but when I put the flash directly on the camera, the camera will automatically chose iso and shutter speed in aperture mode.

for example, If I have the flash directly on the hotshoe and take a shot at f4, lets say the camera chose a shutter speed of 1/100 and iso of 250.

if now I use the yongnuo system and take the same exact shot, it will use the settings that I select. again in aperture mode, if I choose f4 but had my iso at 100 and my shutter speed at 1/60, the camera will not automatically bump up the iso to 250 and the shutter speed to 100 like it did in the above example.

so I thought since the camera selects the shutter speed and iso when the flash is on the hotshoe but doesn't when using the yongnuo, that its a problem with the yongnuo cause it basically is suppose to make the camera think a flash is sitting on the hotshoe and nothing else should be effected.

sorry if I am still not understanding the concept.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 29-Aug-13 08:36 PM
#10. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 9

Yorkshire, GB

Ali, the difference is that when the Yongnuo is mounted on the camera, Auto ISO is disabled. The camera has to try to make a good ambient light exposure using only aperture - which is limited to f/2.8 - and shutter speed - limited to 1/30. The camera can't change ISO because of the Yongnuo being mounted. It's not just the Yongnuo, the popup flash in commander mode, or my SB900 in commander mode prevent the camera from changing the ISO even when Auto ISO is selected. It's one of the undocumented features of our cameras. Auto ISO doesn't work when you have a flash commander, and it seems that's what the Yongnuo tells the camera that it is.

ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Thu 29-Aug-13 01:37 AM
#6. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I'm not familiar with the Yongnuos you're using, but some
>thoughts as to what might be happening are firstly that I
>think you have 'Flash Shutter Speed' at 1/30 (which is why
>your shutter speed with the Yongnuos is 1/30) and secondly I
>know that Auto ISO is cancelled when using the onboard flash
>in master or commander mode. Perhaps something similar happens
>with the Yongnuos - maybe they tell the camera that they're a
>commander.
>
>Hope this helps
>Chris

thank you for the reply Chris. I did have the flash shutter speed at 1/30 but isn't that the minimum? when I have the flash on camera, the camera still selects the appropriate shutter speed in aperture mode. but using the yongnuo with an off camera flash, the camera doesn't select the shutter speed or iso.

you might be onto something. the instructions tell me to put my camera flash mode into ttl. but when I take the picture and review the settings, it says commander mode. I tried all the different settings in e3 menu and still commander mode is being used.

I might have to end up paying a lot more for some pocket wizards.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 29-Aug-13 11:25 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 0

Simcoe, CA

I had some excellent education re: flash operation on this site and currently there is a discussion in the Nikonians Newsletter by Russ MacDonald and speedlights. Here he covers all the ABC's of flashes, TTL etc. and I think your questions are also covered. Check out the back issues to get the whole series.

Basically, use the TTL function on the flash to generate the light at the right intensity and set you camera on manual everything. BUT, if you go smaller that f/5.6-6.3, you flash may not have enough power to light sufficiently. And of course, you speed does not affect the amount of light the flash delivers to light the subject up the the sync speed of 250s. Only the ISO and aperture affect the flash intensity up to 250th s.

After that your getting into the high-speed synchronization and then your flash power goes away down due to how the flash keeps up with the shutter.

There was another NIkonians contributer that educated me on this stuff but I can't remember who. Anyway, I read some of Russ's articles and they are very good on a whole host of flash related situations, which I still refer to on occasion as I don't do a lot of flash work and it serves as a good reminder. I printed off some sheets as hardcopies to have readily on hand.

Mike

ali shah Registered since 25th Aug 2013Fri 30-Aug-13 05:10 AM
#12. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 11

US

ok thank you everyone. I think I am now beginning to understand that I am not having a problem with my yongnuo but more of a problem understanding that all triggers work this way.

so just to confirm, are you saying that every photographer (including wedding photographers) that use off camera flash, shoot in manual mode with ttl?

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 05-Sep-13 12:39 AM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: d7000 yn-622n auto iso and shutter not working on aperture priority"
In response to Reply # 12

Simcoe, CA

I can't speak for everyone, but if you dial in "P" on your camera you will see that each flash picture that you take uses approximately, 1/60th seconds at f/4-5.6 or something like depending on ISO setting, that indicates that the camera is essentially on manual with the flash operating in TTL mode. Again, contact Russ MacDonalds articles on flash utilization. Its currently in the Nikonians newsletter for this month and is EXTREMELY INFORMATIVE!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29529 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.