Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29513
View in linear mode

Subject: "Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 25-Aug-13 03:07 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"

Los Angeles, US

With a D7000, you are limited to 3 jumps in exposure with bracketing. Some of the material I've read on HDR, says that depending on lighting of the subject, a proper HDR burst should consist of 5-7 EV variations.

How is that configured on the camera when bracketing allows only 3?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR
elec164 Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
25th Aug 2013
billD80 Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
25th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
sduck409 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
sduck409 Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
sduck409 Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
sduck409 Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
04th Sep 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 25-Aug-13 04:58 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This has been discussed a few times before. In this thread many offered their workaround for this issue you may find helpful.

Pete

Pete

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 25-Aug-13 09:10 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The 5-7 brackets came about when cameras would not have close to the DR of the D7000. I seldom do HDR, which really is not needed most of the time with a D7000 or the D800, but when I do, I usually only take 3 frames. The D800 has a DR of 14.4 stops, and the D7000 is not far behind. If you are used to a D70 or D300, or any Canon, you might be favorably impressed with the extended DR of each frame. You should try 3 shots, it might not be needed to take more.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 25-Aug-13 01:56 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 25-Aug-13 01:56 PM by billD80

US

>The 5-7 brackets came about when cameras would not have close
>to the DR of the D7000.

I started using 3 frames on the D7000 on HDR, carefully choosing the upper and lower extremes (always shooting one frame at 0 compensation).

I only do HDR for a different effect, and manually set each exposure, being careful not to move the tripod. Typically I shoot RAW: -3, 0, +3. Use View NX2 to convert to JPEG, then export to PhotoMatix, save as a 16 bit TIFF, do final processing in Capture NX2, then save as a NEF and JPEG.

http://billkeane.zenfolio.com/p686788665/h47bc4ca2

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 25-Aug-13 08:01 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

Thanks, Stan. I was doing some reading about the subject now that I have a computer capable of running PP software. (Aperture w/ NIK plug-ins)

These books discuss using 7 or 9 EV stops as increments. But they don't take in consider the Dynamic Range of the D7000. I had read in the past that the specs on my camera are exceptional with regard to DR. Now, I know.

I've been locked in my room for 3 months due to knee replacement surgery. (boo-boo, )
In this weeks of immobility, I bought a fabulous Gitzo tripod on eBay and a new Really Right Stuff bullhead. Waiting for the chance to get out in the sun and experiment with HDR shooting and processing.

I should add, my home city lies on the 33° N Latitude meridian, so sunlight is fairly contrasty. We are on the same line as Madrid in Europe. And, like much of Southern California, the skies are essentially cloud-free and featureless for all but the winter months.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 25-Aug-13 10:54 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

Knee replacement...ouch, that one takes a while to get mobility back. I had a hip replacement in 2008. I had it done here in Russia because my insurance in California denied coverage saying despite no symptoms or history of problems, the clerk that approves such things said it might have started 12 years before when I first got that insurance, after collecting $824/mo for those 12 years and never having to cover even one office visit. That is another story, but the operation was a great success, forgot about it until your case reminded me. Saved $83,000 by having it done here and from the moment I got out of the recovery room to month later when I stopped using crutches, I never needed or asked for pain medication. The whole affair was actually pleasant, and I got great, attentive care in the 9 days I was in the hospital.
If you are not a member, you should check out the forum for pre and post operation knee and hip replacement patients at www.bonesmart.org. Lots of good advice, and support by other patients and medical staff moderators.Good luck Gary
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 25-Aug-13 11:20 PM
#6. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

I'll check out that website. $800/month for insurance sounds nasty. This article came out in the New York Times about medical tourism to Europe.

I've only a few friends who, like me, are cyclists and have had knee replacement. So I'll eagerly cruise around on the link you provided to hear more opinions.

I thought I had a pretty good tolerance for pain. Until this. Percoset, Oxichodone, Vicodin. The stuff scares the heck out of me. And only this month, after 12 weeks, am I able to reduce the pills to perhaps once a week so I can get to sleep.

Uncomfortable side effects and a nasty addiction history for all this stuff.

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 01:58 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 4

Nashville, US

I also use Aperture and Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2. It works great with the D7000. I have bracketing set up at 1.7 increments - you could probably go higher if you wanted - it's easy enough to experiment with this and find a setting that works for you. Use raw images, and Aperture priority mode. I have my U2 set up for HDR - when I hold the Fn button it shoots all 3 shots.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 26-Aug-13 07:02 PM
#8. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

You state you have the Fn button programmed for HDR. What I don't comprehend is this — where is the Ch or Cl mode memorized? In the U2 or Fn configuration? You know the shutter business for multiple shots.

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 03:57 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 8

Nashville, US

Custom settings menu>f3>assign Fn button = BKT - that's all you need to do, it does the burst if you hold the Fn button while you press the shutter - no need to set the shooting mode knob.

Set that, your mode (aperture priority), Bracketing on, RAW files only, and whatever else you want and save it to U2 (or U1) - that's how I have it set, so I don't have to mess with setting it up when I see something that might be good in HDR. I also have bracketing order set to darkest to lightest, although that's not imperative, just a matter of personal choice.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 27-Aug-13 04:52 AM
#10. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 9

Los Angeles, US

Wow. I'll try that tomorrow.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 12:46 AM
1063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Let me bump this post up. I read someplace, even I did not try it myself, that multiple exposures combines with EC does HDR for you in camera into one RAW file.

Does anyone know if the effect is the same as going through bracketing and combining images in PP?

Thanks,
Vlad

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 31-Aug-13 01:41 AM
#12. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 11

Los Angeles, US

On a theoretical basis, the effect should be the same. But of course you have far more control over the blending of images when using software such as NIK HDR than when doing in the Touchup Menu in camera.

As always, it is critical when shooting to keep a constant aperture, ideally use a tripod and set the white balance before pushing the shutter. That's what I have read anyway. I'm new to this game.

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 02:55 AM
#13. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 11

Nashville, US

I also read something similar someplace - but it was followed up by several explanations of why that wasn't anything the same as the HDR achieved in PP. In fact the person who posted about it was having problems getting it to work, and as it turns out it won't work, at least the way he wanted. Could be talking about something else though. In the end, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through to achieve something that can be achieved easily and better with Nik's HDR Efex Pro or similar stuff.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 01:54 PM
1063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat 31-Aug-13 02:06 PM by Vlad_IT

US

What do you think, guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EoRbVX7Drk

Best regards,
Vlad

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 10:30 PM
#15. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 14

Nashville, US

There it is! It looks like that would work, and some of the images at the end seem ok, although it's hard to tell - not a very good video. It also seems like a LOT more trouble than the method I use, and requires a tripod and remote shutter release. I suppose it's a neat trick to have in one's arsenal of photographic techniques though, maybe worth investigating.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 04-Sep-13 02:10 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Setting up a Nikon D7000 for HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

I ran into this problem with my D90, which also can only do 3-shot brackets and also does not have U1/U2 settings capability. My workaround, which will also work fine for the D7000, is to do the following:
•shoot Aperture priority at base ISO, choosing your aperture for desired DOF
•shoot an optimally exposed image (0EV compensation)
•select 3-shot bracketing at ±1EV intervals
•dial in -2EV exposure compensation and shoot 3 images (gives -3EV, -2EV, -1EV) -- either individually or as a burst on CL
•dial in +2EV exposure compensation and shoot 3 images (gives +1EV, +2EV, +3EV)

This gives a 7-shot ±3EV series. At this point I check the histograms on the -3EV and +3EV images to see if I have covered the complete dynamic range. If not, I manually shoot additional individual images with larger exposure compensations.

I have read (I think on Peter Tellone's HDRImage blog) that a larger number of more tightly spaced exposures improves the ability of the HDR software (he was using Photomatix, I think, but the argument applies to HDR Efex Pro 2 as well) to handle noise. Nevertheless, I shot a number of perfectly acceptable HDR images on my D90 with a 3-shot ±3EV series.

Now that I have a D7100, I have U1 set up for bracketing a 5-shot ±2EV series as a default. I can get a wider dynamic range by altering the bracketing interval -- increasing the bracketing interval from 1EV to 2EV gives a ±4EV series, which has proved useful on occasion.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29513 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.