Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29421
View in linear mode

Subject: "What White Balance" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Mon 19-Aug-13 11:02 PM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What White Balance"

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I will be shooting the inside of a church tomorrow 8/20/13. It has stained glass windows and some other lighting hanging from the ceiling. I do not know what kind of bulbs they use. Can you suggest a white balance setting for this situation. I have a D7100.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What White Balance
PerroneFord Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
JosephK Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
davepmyoung Gold Member
20th Aug 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
briantilley Moderator
20th Aug 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
kuzzy Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
NickMilner Gold Member
20th Aug 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
20th Aug 2013

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Tue 20-Aug-13 01:38 AM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

I suggest you shoot RAW and use a custom white balance.

>Hello,
>I will be shooting the inside of a church tomorrow 8/20/13.
>It has stained glass windows and some other lighting hanging
>from the ceiling. I do not know what kind of bulbs they use.
>Can you suggest a white balance setting for this situation. I
>have a D7100.
>Thanks in advance,
>Bill

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 20-Aug-13 02:49 AM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thanks Perrone,
I am afraid all I can do is set the white balance for any given temperature of light. I don't know what the "custom white balance" is. I know some people take around a white card or something to set the white balance but I don't have the card or the abilities to use one. I will be shooting in RAW though.
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Tue 20-Aug-13 07:12 AM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 2

Tallahassee, US

A sheet of printer (typing) paper will suffice. I've even used an index card in a pinch or the white shirt of a guest. Takes 5 Seconds to set a custom balance and it's something you should learn to do.

http://youtu.be/SSuVXNMtZrI?t=1m10s

-P

>Thanks Perrone,
>I am afraid all I can do is set the white balance for any
>given temperature of light. I don't know what the
>"custom white balance" is. I know some people take
>around a white card or something to set the white balance but
>I don't have the card or the abilities to use one. I will be
>shooting in RAW though.
>Thanks,
>Bill

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 20-Aug-13 04:15 AM
4097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>I will be shooting the inside of a church tomorrow 8/20/13.
>It has stained glass windows and some other lighting hanging
>from the ceiling. I do not know what kind of bulbs they use.
>Can you suggest a white balance setting for this situation. I
>have a D7100.

Shooting raw files is the right idea is that you will have the most leeway in correcting the WB in post production.

Unless the stained glass windows are huge, or your subject is really close to them, you will probably be getting more light from the overheads. Close to the stained glass, I might go with a daylight setting for consistency since the colored glass may be troublesome. Taking a manual WB reading from the overheads would be my basis for WB processing later.

The fun part is that different sections of the church can have different overheads.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

davepmyoung Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2008Tue 20-Aug-13 08:33 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 3

Robertsbridge, GB

I take it that you wishing to capture the light coming through the stained glass windows? Using a tripod, remote release and RAW would be my hints as they work for me. Leaving Wight set on auto works surprisingly well. Remember to cover the eyepiece. White Balance can be tweaked in post production in NX2, Lightroom or Photoshop and can be used to give the colours you want, warm or cool.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 20-Aug-13 12:16 PM
#6. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 5

Bellingham, US

Thank you for all your help. I will be taking a piece of white copy paper with me tomorrow. My user manual does not show how to use it though. I will start by taking a picture of it though. I have PS and can adjust the white balance there but I would rather get it right from the beginning. Thank you again for your help and time answering my question.
Take care,
Bill

(1817-62)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 20-Aug-13 01:07 PM
28668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>My user manual does not show how to use it though.

I don't have a D7100 manual to check - but in the D7000 manual, instructions for creating a Preset WB are in the section titled "White Balance", on pages 123-125.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 20-Aug-13 01:19 PM
#8. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 20-Aug-13 01:21 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Thanks Brian,
I looked a bit closer and found the information on page 95 under "preset manual" of the d7100 users manual.
Thank you for your help.
Bill

(1817-62)

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Tue 20-Aug-13 01:20 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Page 95 of your manual explains how to set a custom white balance. They now call it Preset instead of Custom which may be why it is not jumping right out at you. It is pretty easy to do. For future reference there are knock off expodiscs available through amazon for about $10-15 that are well worth the investment as it is easier to have one of them in your bag than a pristine piece of white paper. Good luck.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Tue 20-Aug-13 01:51 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 20-Aug-13 01:52 PM by NickMilner

Manchester, GB

Or you can ask someone to hold a grey card in one of the shots. Then, as long as the light doesn't change, you can easily fix WB in post simply by clicking on it with the WB dropper.

Better to get it right in-camera, though, which you can do easily in live-view on the D7100 without having to fill the frame. This is especially true in an environment like a church during the day when lighting may change frequently.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 20-Aug-13 03:04 PM
#11. "RE: What White Balance"
In response to Reply # 10

Bellingham, US

Hello,

I ordered a gray card from Amazon today. Thank you all for your help.

Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29421 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.