Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29356
View in linear mode

Subject: "Reddish hue on indoor photographs" Previous topic | Next topic
Sumithra_Sen Registered since 13th Aug 2013Tue 13-Aug-13 04:00 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Reddish hue on indoor photographs"

US

Hello,

I recently bought a D7100 and have been playing around with Aperture settings and WB settings. My indoor photographs seem to have a red / orange hue in them . i had set the WB to shade and not Auto. Can some one let me know what I am missing?

Thanks much

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs
aolander Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
elec164 Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
14th Aug 2013
Sumithra_Sen
15th Aug 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
15th Aug 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 13-Aug-13 04:08 PM
3199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Light in the shade is quite blue, so the camera will warm things up when you set the WB to shade. Indoors is usually warm to start with if there are lights on (depending on the lights). If so, a shade WB will warm it even further. Use Auto WB and shoot RAW.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Tue 13-Aug-13 04:52 PM
2510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

>My indoor photographs seem to have a red / orange hue in them .

>i had set the WB to shade and not Auto.

>Can some one let me know what I am missing?

Custom white balance. Done.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 13-Aug-13 07:08 PM
1984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Custom white balance.

Custom or manual WB.

Generally speaking most home lighting is incandescent and as note is quite warm. In fact it's usually around 2800K which is beyond what AWB can handle and the only way to get an accurate WB is to either do a Custom WB or if you know the temperature of the light source set it manually.

Pete

Pete

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 12:25 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs"
In response to Reply # 3

Philadelphia, US

As Alan was eluding to in shooting RAW, a RAW file does not have white balance applied until post-processing.

If you do a custom white balance (CWB) using a gray card or an expodisk the white balance information is stored and given to Lightroom (Lr) or Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) for post-processing and can be applied then.

Another option is to take a shot of a gray card or a ColorChecker Passport in the same light and use it to set white balance in Lr or ACR using the little WB eye-dropper tool. A second benefit to the ColorChecker Passport is the ability to create a color profile for your camera's sensor that can be used in Lr or ACR to correct colors for the individual camera sensor. You can then shoot, say, a wedding, with multiple cameras and have all the colors match regardless of the camera used!

Hope this helps out and have fun shooting!

Bob

Sumithra_Sen Registered since 13th Aug 2013Thu 15-Aug-13 01:50 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank You. I tried changing the setting to AWB, Now the picture is more closer to the one you get from keeping the WB setting at Incandescent.
How do I do a cwb ?

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Thu 15-Aug-13 06:25 AM
2510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Reddish hue on indoor photographs"
In response to Reply # 5

Tallahassee, US

Here's how I do it with the expodisc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIcEHz4AHY

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29356 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.