Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29332
View in linear mode

Subject: "On the fence and need a shove." Previous topic | Next topic
DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Mon 12-Aug-13 11:41 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"On the fence and need a shove."

San Diego, US

I've had my D7000 for about two years now and have zero complaints and will be keeping it. I'm looking to upgrade to a D7100 or upgrade my Tamron 70-200 2.8 non VC (not the fastest to focus, but it is sharp and is my most used lens), to either the new Tamron with VC or Nikon 70-200 VR1. They're all around the same price and I can only afford one. I also have the Nikon 300 f4 and a Kenko 1.4. I mainly shoot our local wildlife and go to Zoos quite often. I'm in low light alot. Will the D7100 give me a noticeable advantage over the 7000 in low light and I.Q? Is the AF system much better? I do use a monopod about 50% of the time. I shoot a few events per year and a bit of landscape also.
Thank you all. Nikonians is second to none!
Deric

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: On the fence and need a shove.
mklass Platinum Member
13th Aug 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
13th Aug 2013
DuhRock Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
billD80 Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
DuhRock Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
20th Aug 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
DuhRock Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
DuhRock Silver Member
27th Aug 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 13-Aug-13 01:17 AM
5858 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I upgraded from a D700 to a D7100. It is a different camera with better AF, Better Hi ISO quality and bigger files. Plus you get 5 shot bracketing shooting, if you need it. There area enough improvements to the controls that is is worthwhile. At least it was for me.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 13-Aug-13 02:16 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 13-Aug-13 05:28 PM by RLDubbya

US

I shoot strongman competitions - there's typically breaks in the action, then things get very, very busy.

I shot one a couple weeks ago; I was covering the yoke walk, which was an 80' carry across a parking lot. Basically, one guy carries it down as far as he can, hopefully crossing the finish line. Then the setup crew gets it in position, and the next competitor brings it back. So, back and forth.

I position myself close to the start, fire off a couple shots, turn around, run to the finish, turn, fire off a couple shots, then get the heck out of the way of the guy carrying 900lbs on his back as fast as he can.

During all this, I managed to bump the mode dial on my D7000, and it went between modes, and before I noticed it, I lost shots of 6 or so competitors.

I never had this problem before, others have, and it's something Nikon fixed on the 7100. If I had the cash, and didn't want to buy FX, I'd be replacing my 7000s immediately. It really sucks to miss shots because of equipment failure.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 13-Aug-13 05:07 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

For a landscaper, there is little incentive to change, the base ISO 100 files are cleaner on the D7000. The Nikon modified Sony sensor in the D7000 is still the best crop sensor for DR and detail recovery.
The big reasons to change would be AF, if you are doing birds in flight, sports etc since it is better in lock on, and tracking than anything Nikon has ever produced for DX.

Noticeable difference in low light, no. But the D7100 has large enough files to allow downsizing which can reduce noise.
From your subjects mentioned, I see no compelling reason to change cameras but I would sure investigate faster lenses. A used VRI 70-200 is a bargain and fast to focus, and superior optically.
If you are regularly pushing the low light limits of the D7000, you will also with the D7100 or any crop camera. A used D3s could be the answer or a new D600 for a lot less money will make more of a difference.
What do you consider typical low light conditions? 3200 at 1/8 sec and f/1.4? or 800 1/500 at f/5.6? Some people would class both as low light.
I regularly shoot in ballet or drama theaters where 12k 1/60 f/2.8 is pushing it and in dance clubs were external flash is possible and shoot in much lower light/bad light where 1/250(or 1/8 rear curtain) 320 iso and f/4 are typical manual settings. The secret to actual low light shooting is technique and creative problem solving more than camera performance.

The biggest single problem with low light photography is not low light, it is the desire to take low light shots and expect them to look like normal bright light shots, by using the camera as a light amplifier or night scope.
It a truly low light condition exists the color and DR of our own eyes is very poor, so a realistic image is one that is rather dark, with little color information and very little detail. That is normal, not the highly amplified images that users are expecting, daylight images in night time conditions. Look in any art gallery that features photos and you will notice great art taken at all period of photography technology that uses low light to be represented by low light prints. Any of these cameras are capable of true low light photography where color and detail is subdued.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Tue 13-Aug-13 08:12 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 3

San Diego, US

Excellent perspective, Stan. What draws me most to the D7100 is the better AF. Low light is what it is. I have multiple flashes and I"m not afraid to use them. I don't shoot sports at night. I'm shooting a dusk time, outdoor big band concert tonight and I'm going with your comment in mind, "Look in any art gallery that features photos and you will notice great art taken at all period of photography technology that uses low light to be represented by low light prints." Maybe an 85 1.8 will help for this.
Thanks for your comments.
Deric

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 13-Aug-13 07:39 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I love my D7100, and I think the AF on moving subjects is superior to the D7000. The D7000 is a super camera too.

I'd be biased toward new glass, and keep a DX body for the perceived reach you get. Perhaps an FX body, if low light capability was your primary concern.

BTW, how do you like the 300/4 with the Kenko 1.4? How does it's resolution compare with the 300 on its own?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Tue 13-Aug-13 08:27 PM
#6. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 4

San Diego, US

Bill,
The 300/4 with the Kenko 1.4 works very good, especially in good light. The combo hunts a bit in lower light on the D7000. One stop loss. If you nail your exposure with the 1.4 on, it's splitting hairs FOR IQ. On the D7100, can you use the 1.3 crop mode and stay at max aperture?

Deric

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 20-Aug-13 04:46 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 6

jacksonville, US

>
>Bill,
>The 300/4 with the Kenko 1.4 works very good, especially in
>good light. The combo hunts a bit in lower light on the D7000.
>One stop loss. If you nail your exposure with the 1.4 on, it's
>splitting hairs FOR IQ. On the D7100, can you use the 1.3 crop
>mode and stay at max aperture?
>
>Deric
yes. basically all the camera does is crop the 24MP down to 16MP

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 26-Aug-13 04:16 AM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I just got my new D7100 and I like it much more than my D7000. Low light is no problem. AF is fast and reliable. You've got to try it to see the differences.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Mon 26-Aug-13 01:08 PM
#9. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Thank you all, for the feedback. I ended up keeping my D7000 and purchased the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC. I've always been happy with my D7000. The lens stabilization (VC) is a major upgrade for me. I'm going to wait until the phantom D400 comes out and pick up a D7100 at a discount. My photo budget should be replenished by then. Here's a shot taken around 7:40pm at our Zoo. It is down in a canyon, so light was at a minimum. Hand held 2.8, ISO 3200 to get to 1/6s and +.3EV. Exposure adjusted in NX2 along with sharpening (15,15,8). Then sent through NIK Define at the default setting. The D7000 still takes care of my needs.
Thanks again, Deric

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Tue 27-Aug-13 02:40 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 9

Dorval (Montreal), CA

That's a great shot, Deric! You are a true artist with your D7000.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

DuhRock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2011Tue 27-Aug-13 04:09 PM
#11. "RE: On the fence and need a shove."
In response to Reply # 10

San Diego, US

Thank you, Neill.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29332 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.