Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29285
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR" Previous topic | Next topic
berniedavies Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2013Sat 10-Aug-13 11:57 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"

Georgetown, US

I have used Nikon F2's for many, many years and still own them with joy. I recently purchased a D7100, with lenses, and am wondering if I can use my 50mm f1.4 non-ai lens with it. Can anyone offer me help about using older Nikon lenses with a DSLR, specifically the D7100?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR
aolander Silver Member
10th Aug 2013
mike70
12th Aug 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
12th Aug 2013
Reply message Don't do it. See my email.
tfeazel Silver Member
10th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Don't do it. See my email.
RazorAndy Silver Member
22nd Aug 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
10th Aug 2013
RLDubbya
13th Aug 2013
RazorAndy Silver Member
22nd Aug 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 10-Aug-13 12:16 PM
3052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You shouldn't try to use any non-AI lens on the D7100. You could break the aperture follower on the camera. AI and AIS lenses will work fine in manual and aperture priority exposure modes. You can enter the information for AI/AIS lenses in the non-CPU lens data (see your owner's manual).

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mike70 Registered since 01st May 2007Mon 12-Aug-13 04:04 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Fe, US

Hi,

How can I tell if a nikon lens is ai. I have a d200 and a d7100. I'm using a dx 12-24, and non dx nikon 35 - 70 and 80 - 200. I also have an older 200 - 400 that I've used successfully on my d200 and a 24mm prime non dx. I originally bought those lenses for my now almost worthless N90s cameras. Would they (the 200 - 400 and the 24prime) work on my D7100?

Thanks, Mike

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Mon 12-Aug-13 05:01 PM
2473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"
In response to Reply # 4

Tallahassee, US

If your lens is AF, you have nothing to worry about. If it's manual focus and built after 1978, you have nothing to worry about. If it was built in 1977, you MAY have to worry about it. If it was built before 1977, don't try to mount it.

>Hi,
>
>How can I tell if a nikon lens is ai. I have a d200 and a
>d7100. I'm using a dx 12-24, and non dx nikon 35 - 70 and 80 -
>200. I also have an older 200 - 400 that I've used
>successfully on my d200 and a 24mm prime non dx. I originally
>bought those lenses for my now almost worthless N90s cameras.
>Would they (the 200 - 400 and the 24prime) work on my D7100?
>
>Thanks, Mike

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Sat 10-Aug-13 12:44 PM
298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Don't do it. See my email."
In response to Reply # 0

Polk City, US

Cost me $350 to repair GF's D300.
Pre AI lenses can be modified, and I have a 135 f2.8 that has been, but don't use unmodified lenses.

Tom

RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Thu 22-Aug-13 10:06 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Don't do it. See my email."
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Cost me $350 to repair GF's D300.
>Pre AI lenses can be modified, and I have a 135 f2.8 that has
>been, but don't use unmodified lenses.

One curiosity is that the bodies that do not have the indexing ring will work just fine with the older non-AI lenses. My older D40 and D60 work perfectly with the non-AI lenses interestingly enough. I did notice they would not mate with the D7K until I got them converted, so if you're not careful, you can definitely hose up the aperture index ring.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 10-Aug-13 01:30 PM
2694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Getting your non-AI lens modified will only cost about $35, getting your camera repaired if you try to mount it un-modified would cost much much more.

You can read all about the modification here. I've had my older lenses modified by John. He does a nice job.

http://www.aiconversions.com/

Len

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Tue 13-Aug-13 05:30 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Getting your non-AI lens modified will only cost about $35,
>getting your camera repaired if you try to mount it
>un-modified would cost much much more.
>
>You can read all about the modification here. I've had my
>older lenses modified by John. He does a nice job.
>
>http://www.aiconversions.com/
>
>Len
>
>
>
>
Wanted to second John's work - very quick turnaround time, high quality work, reasonable price.

RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Thu 22-Aug-13 09:58 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Manual Nikon lens on a DSLR"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I want to vouch for John's work as well. I shipped off a couple of non-AI lenses and got them back very well done.

If you have a 50/1.4, you can get NOS from Bill Rogers:

Bill Roger conversion rings

I bought a ring from him, and it was very simple to swap it out. He will swap the ring if you want to ship the lens to him as well. The nice thing about the NOS is that the index numbers are etched and painted which is a slightly more polished look.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29285 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.