Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29272
View in linear mode

Subject: "problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Fri 09-Aug-13 12:21 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release"
Fri 09-Aug-13 08:21 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

When the camera is in landscape orientation I can put the cable release wire through the bracket and plug it into the camera.
When I position the camera vertically in portrait orientation on the tripod there doesn't seem to be any access to plug the cable release into the camera body. I believe I have the bracket extended to the left, as far away from the body as it can get which leaves the maximum amount of clearance. Does anyone else have the same problem? It seems as some kind of elbow adapter for the cable release is required.

I should mention that I have the L-Bracket for use with the battery pack and the cable release is MC-D2

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release
Steve6344 Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
Cousin Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
09th Aug 2013

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Fri 09-Aug-13 08:37 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release"
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

RRS was able to resolve the problem over the phone. They have very good customer service. The key is to attach the connector without running the cable through the bracket. The connector has just enough clearance to then allow the bracket to be attached to the tripod.

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011Fri 09-Aug-13 10:28 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release"
In response to Reply # 1

Kilmore, AU

Have you considered using a wireless remote, Steve?
It would save all the hassle of moving the L bracket
And you can pick them up for less than $10 now

Michael

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Fri 09-Aug-13 10:31 PM
#4. "RE: problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release"
In response to Reply # 2

Aventura, US

I have the Nikon wireless remote and use it sometimes. It doesn.t always trigger the camera, depending on what angle I'm aiming it at. I find that the cable release is a little more dependable.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 09-Aug-13 10:29 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Yes, as you found out, RRS makes a standoff adapter for the L-Bracket allowing wiggle room for a cable to connect between the ball head into the electric ports on the left side of the camera. And all for $58.

Kirk makes the same item for $10 less. And is interchangeable. I looked at both, got angry, and then paid $12 for the genuine Nikon ML-L3 remote. And get the same effect. It can be an expensive hobby!

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Fri 09-Aug-13 10:59 PM
#5. "RE: problem with RRS L-Bracket & Cable release"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 09-Aug-13 11:01 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

I was able to attach the cable release in portrait mode without any adapter. See attached first photo.

However I called RRS to discuss best way to attach my Black Rapid strap to the L-Bracket and they suggested a screw knob clamp- see second photo- which was about $50 or $60. It is very solid and does a good job but not inexpensive. They said it was not advisable to attach the strap directly to the bracket plate.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29272 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.