Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29222
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mirror up" Previous topic | Next topic
MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Sat 03-Aug-13 06:17 AM
380 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mirror up"

jacksonville, US

if I'm reading this correctly, you frame, focus, press the shutter to raise the mirror, then press the shutter again to make the picture, at least that's the way it sounds reading the manual.. is this correct?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mirror up
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
03rd Aug 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
03rd Aug 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
05th Aug 2013
Sixmileman
06th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
07th Aug 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
08th Aug 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
09th Aug 2013

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 03-Aug-13 07:24 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

Yep, that's exactly right.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 03-Aug-13 11:47 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

One final thing. If you're going to the extent of using the MUP, you should use either a remote release or timer release so you don't move the camera on the tripod with the shutter curtain open. Pushing the release button on the camera might move the camera slightly while the shutter open and defeat the whole purpose of mirror up.

I either use the Nikon ML-L3 or a 2-second time delay to release the shutter when I'm taking long exposure shots.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 05-Aug-13 11:54 PM
380 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 2

jacksonville, US

exactly once i get a clear sky (hopefully before the milky way is buried in the sun) I'm planning on a trip for some atrophotography.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Tue 06-Aug-13 12:41 AM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I just finished reading "The End of Night," an excellent book for anyone who is a dark sky advocate. It is a passionate plea for curbing light pollution and it includes discussion of some locations around the world where one can still see the Milky Way and other features that are totally lost to most urban dwellers. As you probably know there are also dark sky websites that categorize locations and are helpful for finding places near wherever you're located that may offer good night skies.

Good luck.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 07-Aug-13 08:50 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

For doing product shots on a table top a tripod is a necessity. It allows you to see a large image in Liveview on the LCD and carefully pose and frame the scene.

Having learned on a 4x5 Viewcamera (sheet film), I prefer to stand to the left of the camera and look at both the camera and the scene. The remote cord MC-LC2, or the ML-L3 infra red work fine.

And then I shoot in Mirror Up Mode. Click once to get the mirror up, click a second to capture the shot. This minimizes camera vibration. About one-half of my shooting follows this procedure. It takes less fuss and time than attaching and then configuring a Speedlite and the results make it worth it.

I find that looking at my scene from the side of the camera enables me to see in far more detail than through the viewfinder.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 08-Aug-13 11:19 PM
#6. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 4

jacksonville, US

yup there is one fairly dark spot about an hour from me, the darkest sky to me is about 3 hours on the big bend coastline

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 09-Aug-13 11:18 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mirror up"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

One other thing, if you've not already used it, is the Long Exposure Noise Reduction feature. Once you've closed the shutter at the end of the photo, the camera takes another exposure for the same duration, but with the shutter closed. Then it subtracts the sensor noise on the "black frame" from your exposure to eliminate the sensor noise.

It's great for long exposure night photos, but it does double the time for each shot.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29222 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.