Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2922
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!" Previous topic | Next topic
z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Mon 06-Dec-10 11:40 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"

Sacramento, US

I tried to get a photo of the moon last week while it was big and bright, using my D7000 fitted with a Sigma APO DG 70-200mm 1:2.8 II Macro HSM lens.
No luck. I tried several several settings, but sadly I don't remember what I did (common problem with the ederly) - and I deleted the photos, which just showed a disc with no features. I have to say that with my D60 I had no troubles, and got photos of the moon with lots of surface features, so I am guessing that I did something stupid with the D7000 and/or the Sigma.
What settings would you Nikonians suggest that I try?

Thank you, Nikonians!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!
jmiguez Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
11th Dec 2010
intrepidnz
07th Dec 2010
hawkie
07th Dec 2010
z06kenny Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
08th Dec 2010
avigar Silver Member
10th Dec 2010
micaelak
10th Dec 2010
MDeRose
11th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
11th Dec 2010
Reply message Moon Shot with D7K
NY Jim
11th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: Moon Shot with D7K
jadiniz
11th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: Moon Shot with D7K
jrp Administrator
11th Jan 2011

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 07-Dec-10 01:16 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 07-Dec-10 01:16 AM by jmiguez

Lafayette, US

I tried using the Program function on the fool moon the other day and it over exposed, big time. I finally set the lens to wide open and just starting raising the shutter speed and shooting. Around 1/1000 of a second it started looking properly exposed. This was with the 18-105 kit lens.

Not the most professional way to do it, but it worked

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 07-Dec-10 01:54 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

Hello. You can find here an active thread that provides some information on how to shoot the moon. It explains how I shot a picture of the moon a few weeks ago (my first shot ever of this subject). Cheers, Peter

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 11-Dec-10 11:45 AM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 1

Paignton, GB

As the others have suggested, getting the exposure right is the first step. Generally speaking the full moon is a known quantity - on a clear night its brightness is relatively constant (for photographic purposes, anyway). I would use Manual exposure mode and play around with the Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO settings until it looks right. The example below was shot using 1/125th at f/13, ISO 400.

The second thing is to have enough focal length, and a reliable support like a solid tripod. The one here was shot with a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX lens on a D70 (my first DSLR - it was taken a few years ago). My tripod at the time was a Manfrotto 150 PRO and Manfrotto 488 head, which were quite sturdy for a relatively inexpensive kit.

Regarding focal length, for each 100mm you'll get an image of the moon about 1mm diameter on the sensor. So with 500mm, the moon in my shot measured 5mm across. The image shown is a crop of about 2/3 the frame height.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Tue 07-Dec-10 02:47 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

Full moon - 1/125 second at f/8.

Spot meter, if you want to go that way.

You want to expose for the moon surface and nothing else.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Tue 07-Dec-10 10:41 AM
1028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I shoot in Aperture Mode with my exposure compensation dialed in to -4.7. I was shooting on a tripod with my Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens.

Here's one of the shots I got:
1/160 f/5.6 ISO 100

Hope this helps.
Joey

z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Tue 07-Dec-10 03:13 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 4

Sacramento, US

Many thanks to everyone! When the weather clears up, I'll give it another try!

Thank you, Nikonians!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 08-Dec-10 02:18 AM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

With a 70-200 and matrix metering, you will need to dial in several stops of exposure compensation. Center weighted is better and spot metering might work better still.

Some reviews have indicated a tendency of the D7000 to overexpose by a half stop or so - which would make things worse.

Try shooting around sunrise or sunset when there is a little light left in the sky. It makes the exposure easier.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

avigar Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2006Fri 10-Dec-10 01:29 AM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 10-Dec-10 01:30 AM by avigar

Northern IL, US

>I tried to get a photo of the moon last week while it was big
>and bright, using my D7000 fitted with a Sigma APO DG 70-200mm
>1:2.8 II Macro HSM lens.
>No luck. I tried several several settings, but sadly I don't
>remember what I did (common problem with the ederly) - and I
>deleted the photos, which just showed a disc with no features.
> I have to say that with my D60 I had no troubles, and got
>photos of the moon with lots of surface features, so I am
>guessing that I did something stupid with the D7000 and/or the
>Sigma.
>What settings would you Nikonians suggest that I try?

Take a look at this website which features a moon exposure calculator. It actually worked for me.

http://www.adidap.com/2006/12/06/moon-exposure-calculator/

--Ben

micaelak Registered since 08th Aug 2009Fri 10-Dec-10 11:30 PM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 7

Ravenna, US

Here is my moon picture F10 1/125 D80 170-500mm @500mm Tripod mounted
Taken 9/24/2010 and some cropping

MDeRose Registered since 09th Dec 2010Sat 11-Dec-10 03:44 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 8

US

wow i love that pic at 500mm. I want to try this as well. I am still rather new to photography in general, but i got an "ok" pic with the d7000 kit... after cropping it big time.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 11-Dec-10 10:52 AM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Photo of the moon, harder than I thought!"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 11-Dec-10 10:54 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

A few yeras ago when I had my D300 I did it successfully, details on image. The metering setting was colour matrix. Like the other images I like the way that the mountain ranges can be seen.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009Tue 11-Jan-11 10:40 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Moon Shot with D7K"
In response to Reply # 0

Cortlandt Manor, US

There are already several great shots of the moon on this thread, but many with cameras other than the D7K. Here is a shot that I took last night with my D7K, ISO 100, 1/80 sec, f/11, Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED. I tried other exposures to get some detail in "the dark side" but that side is really dark. I could not pull detail on that side.

Jim

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 11-Jan-11 12:22 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Moon Shot with D7K"
In response to Reply # 12

Estoril, PT

Wonderfull!!! The tridimensional character really shows, and the shadow-light line is fantastic.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 11-Jan-11 01:31 PM
33927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Moon Shot with D7K"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 11-Jan-11 01:39 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You were one mentioning ISO, so aperture and shutter speed make any sense. Thank you.
If under the sun the "Sunny Rule" applies (f/16, 1/125 at ISO 100), the "Moony Rule" is one stop under (f/11, 1/125 at ISO 100) for a full moon, with no clouds. Minor Adjustments "al dente" depending on DSLR camera body.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2922 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.