Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29201
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-D11 w/ L-bracket?" Previous topic | Next topic
SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Wed 31-Jul-13 02:45 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-D11 w/ L-bracket?"
Wed 31-Jul-13 02:46 PM by SupraDad

MERRIMACK, US

I am considering getting an MB-D11 for my D7000 - I am finding I am taking enough portrait-oriented shots where this might come in handy. I currently have the Kirk L-bracket for the D7K (w/out the grip) and was wondering if I should get a version of the bracket that fits over the grip or not? When I do use a tripod, I tend to use it with my smaller lenses (Sigma 17-70 or Nikon 35mm), and thus utilize the L-bracket to swap back and forth between portrait/landscape. (On a rare occasion I have my Sigma 70-200mm on - but then I use the tripod collar on that instead of the L-bracket.)

(FYI: I have both the wired- and wireless remote, so I never touch the shutter button when on the tripod...)

My first thought is that I'd probably use the MB-D11 grip only when handheld and then replace it with the Kirk L-bracket when going to tripod mode. But on second thought I was concerned about the wear-and-tear of "constantly" (ok, "occasionally") doing the swap. (And thus, should look into the L-bracket for the D7K w/ the grip.)

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 31-Jul-13 05:15 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-D11 w/ L-bracket?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

I've got the grip and the bracket (an RRS version). Two thoughts.

Putting on or removing a grip takes a bit of time.

Putting on or removing the bracket takes far less.

So, you should consider your preferences. But one thing in favor of leaving the grip on while shooting in Portrait mode is that the controls are now at the top.

In my use of this gear, I can fit the camera with grip in my camera bag. It' a snug fit, but works. The addition of a bracket makes it a real challenge.

But the camera with bracket only fits in fine.

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Wed 31-Jul-13 07:41 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-D11 w/ L-bracket?"
In response to Reply # 1

MERRIMACK, US

Thanks Gary - some helpful information there (hadn't thought about packing it in my bag). I'm also concerned about stability: how does the D7K + grip + L-bracket do on a tripod versus D7K + L-bracket w/out the grip attached? I'm a bit concerned that the added grip will add some "torque" (not sure that's the right term) by changing the center of gravity and moving the weight around.

Regards,
Alan

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 31-Jul-13 09:58 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-D11 w/ L-bracket?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 31-Jul-13 09:59 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

If you look at the ballhead videos at the Really Right Stuff website, one of the things they demonstrate is precisely what you ask.

example a) No L bracket, but using the ballhead drop down for portrait. The cg (center of gravity), is thrown way off. With real heavy lens, it is worse. yet

example b) L bracket. The ballhead is set normally, so even with the camera in Portrait mode, the CG is fine.

That's why we spend the big bucks for this equipment.

Having a steady, solid tripod is helpful in this regard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29201 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.