Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29189
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about 1.3 crop" Previous topic | Next topic
Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Mon 29-Jul-13 07:02 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Question about 1.3 crop"

Marengo, US

I'm still trying to decide on a D7100 or wait till I have the bucks for a D800. In pouring over the specs I notice optional 1.3 crop. Does this mean you can opt for 1.5 or switch to 1.3? Then to further complicate things we have the rumored D400,which I will assume to a DX body. Meanwhile Nikon is hyping the 7100 as the DX Flagship. thanx for reading my rant. jim

Coldfront

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about 1.3 crop
briantilley Moderator
29th Jul 2013
Coldfront Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
02nd Aug 2013
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
briantilley Moderator
28th Aug 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
Sixmileman
28th Aug 2013
davepmyoung Gold Member
28th Aug 2013
cockers Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
Sixmileman
28th Aug 2013
David D Busch Silver Member
29th Aug 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 29-Jul-13 07:45 PM
28320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>Does this mean you can opt for 1.5 or switch to 1.3?

No. The D7100 has a DX-format sensor, which has a "crop factor" of 1.5 compared with FX. Engaging the 1.3x crop option gives you a further crop, so you end up with a crop factor of 1.5 x 1.3, or about 2x compared with FX.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Mon 29-Jul-13 08:28 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 1

Marengo, US

Thanx Brian! We can always count on you. jim

Coldfront

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Fri 02-Aug-13 02:54 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 2

Jamison, US

AND its much more useful thank I would have thought when I got mine. very quick easy way to get reach in a pinch

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 02:35 PM
232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

I am sorry to disagree with Brian, and Mudman2, but you do not get a multiplier affect with the 1.3 crop. All the 1.3 crop does is take your 24 megapixel image and take the middle 16 megs for the image. The nice piece is that if you wish to save space and your "target" fills the "cropped" view you will save post processing cropping.
If you take some shots and view the EXIF data you will not see an increase of 35mm equivalence on the cropped shot.
e.g. you take a shot with the 7100 @ 200mm you will see a 35mm equivalent fo 300mm in the EXIF data. If you take the same shot with the 1.3 crop you will see no difference in the EXIF data, you will received a "cropped" image at 67% of the file size.
Although I believed I would recieve the "multiplier" affect of the 1.5x1.3 in 35mm equivalence, and didn't, I still love the 7100 for all the other features and improvements it has delivered!
Turbo

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 28-Aug-13 03:14 PM
28320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>I am sorry to disagree with Brian, and Mudman2, but you do
>not get a multiplier affect with the 1.3 crop.

There's no disagreement - I didn't say anything about a multiplier, just a secondary crop.

>All the 1.3 crop does is take your 24 megapixel image and take
>the middle 16 megs for the image.

Yes, that's correct (except that it's about 15.36 MP)

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 28-Aug-13 03:20 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 5

Jamison, US

Agree

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 03:27 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 0

US

When in 1.3X crop mode, the 51 focus points of the D7100 cover nearly the entire image area. For some types of photography, this can be an advantage.

davepmyoung Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2008Wed 28-Aug-13 03:42 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 7

Robertsbridge, GB

Why would you want 51 points to focus on, the camera can only choose 1!

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 28-Aug-13 04:12 PM
4026 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 28-Aug-13 04:15 PM by cockers

Plover, US

The biggest advantage I find of the 1.3 crop is when you are in a situation where you can't reduce the distance to your subject and the resulting desired image will not be larger than the crop area. . . (which is often the case in shooting wildlife subjects) I then switch to crop to gain faster FPS and smaller files to handle. No advantage at that point to shooting normal DX crop and dealing with the much larger file.

Al

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 04:57 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 9

jacksonville, US

>The biggest advantage I find of the 1.3 crop is when you are
>in a situation where you can't reduce the distance to your
>subject and the resulting desired image will not be larger
>than the crop area. . . (which is often the case in shooting
>wildlife subjects) I then switch to crop to gain faster FPS
>and smaller files to handle. No advantage at that point to
>shooting normal DX crop and dealing with the much larger
>file.
>
>Al

I found that quite useful at Bristol for driver introductions

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Wed 28-Aug-13 05:24 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Multiple focus points are valuable for certain subjects such as ones that move quickly from the initial focus point. This is one reason that cameras have multiple focus points, although only one may be the "final" focus point at time of shutter release. With 51 points covering nearly the entire image area in 1.3 crop, almost regardless of where the subject may move it will be "covered" by a focus point. Thus, the theory is, you are more likely to get a focused image despite the subject having moved. When not in crop mode, the 51 focus points do not cover the entire image area. As mentioned, the fact that the 51 points cover so much of the image area in 1.3 crop mode is not something that is necessarily advantageous for all types of subjects (that's why the camera includes other focus modes with fewer focus points).

51 focus points in 1.3 crop mode (or DX mode for that matter) work best for moving subjects when coupled with AF-C and back button AF. However, as others have commented in other forums, using 51 focus points is asking the camera do more work, so this may slow somewhat the camera's response time. Nothing is simple.

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Thu 29-Aug-13 11:12 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Question about 1.3 crop"
In response to Reply # 0

US

While the D7100 in 1.3x crop mode just provides a black box to show the image area within the entire DX frame,those who shoot live view or movies will be pleased to know that the cropped area is enlarged to fill the LCD monitor in stills mode, and masked to show only the movie area in movie mode.

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29189 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.