Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29140
View in linear mode

Subject: "LCD screen is black when trying to review pics" Previous topic | Next topic
cpo23 Registered since 24th Jul 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 04:42 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"

US

I recently purchased a 7100 and have only shot a few pics. The first few days were fine, but today I find that the LCD screen is black. I cannot view my pics or see the pic that was taken. The camera is recording that a pic was taken. What setting did I mess up???????

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics
Omaha
26th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
NickMilner Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
cpo23
27th Jul 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
28th Jul 2013
gwhit Silver Member
28th Jul 2013

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 26-Jul-13 07:21 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Lens cap?

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 07:37 PM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Pressing the "info" button should activate the LCD so that you can see that the screen is working.

The camera can be set to display the image immediately after is take, or not do that to save the battery. (/menu/playback/image-review)

If the image-review is set to off, you can press the playback button to see the last image taken.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 07:55 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

Maybe the image is completely under-exposed? Have you accidentally put it on manual and dialed in 1/8000 shutter speed or something like that? If you did then you'd get a black image even on a sunny day.

BTW, add a speedlite with high speed sync on an 8ft light stand into the mix and you can turn (under-exposed) day into night like this:

It's an awful picture - just to demonstrate the effect. You can see she's squinting in the sun.

Sorry for going off-topic if this wasn't the problem!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cpo23 Registered since 24th Jul 2013Sat 27-Jul-13 06:14 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 27-Jul-13 06:17 PM by cpo23

US

First thing I checked was the lens cap, not the problem . . . this time!!!! LOL

LCD screen is working fine, just can't see or review pics in anything but Auto.

Exposure . . . this very well could have been the problem. Will have to investigate, thanks.

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Sun 28-Jul-13 04:52 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"
In response to Reply # 4

Auckland, NZ

>LCD screen is working fine, just can't see or review pics in
>anything but Auto.
>
>Exposure . . . this very well could have been the problem.
>Will have to investigate, thanks.

JFWIW - Do you actually have pics when you download to computer? Or just blank or black images?

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

gwhit Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2013Sun 28-Jul-13 12:11 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LCD screen is black when trying to review pics"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>First thing I checked was the lens cap, not the problem . .
>. this time!!!! LOL
>
>LCD screen is working fine, just can't see or review pics in
>anything but Auto.
>
>Exposure . . . this very well could have been the problem.
>Will have to investigate, thanks.

Something similar happened to me, or so I thought. Turns out it was self inflicted, as I had used an EV setting of -3 the day before, and had set that EV by depressing the EV button and rotating the main command dial, a method which leaves the EV in place even if the camera is turned off. I distinctly remember reading that in the manual, but I think I now have a much better grasp of the concept.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.